New Rat Rod Day

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by dak55, Aug 30, 2020.

1. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    2 1/4” on mine.

2. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    I worked with a lady from Brisbane. The Men At Work song mentioned Vegemite and during the course of making conversation I made the mistake of asking her to bring some in so I could try it. The next day she brought some in and made two pieces of toast and slathered that stuff like jelly all over the toast. I cautiously, and as it turned out, very wisely took a small bite. But that was enough. I think it was the most disgusting thing I’ve ever tasted in my life. An acquired taste to say the least. Later on I read a culinary expert mention it is best used as a seasoning of sorts in preparing other foods. If I were a spy who happened to be captured all they would have to do to get me to talk would be to show me a jar of that stuff. My apologies to those who have a more refined palette than mine.

Stefan87 and RatRod Gentleman like this.
  3. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    Argh! Why, Gretsch??? Did the specs change? If so, when? Or was the web page just a little too informative for Gretsch standards???

4. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    The original Filter design had 1/4” magnets so I want to try that. I plan to put the 1/4” in the neck first and play with the stock bridge. See how that combo grabs me. I’ll have to make some test recordings just to listen later on for any differences once I put the 1/4” magnets in both.
    Never swapped magnets before. I’m assuming the important thing is location of the poles and keeping them the same.

5. RatRod Gentleman

RatRod Gentleman Electromatic

Sep 28, 2020
    Brisbane, Australia
    I probably speak for most Aussies on here when I say a beginners approach to Vegemite is all about the butter/vegemite ratio. Start with 4 parts butter to 1 part vege and take baby steps

I assume people rarely drink their first bourbon without cola or dry?

audept and BCRatRod73 like this.
  6. RatRod Gentleman

Sep 28, 2020
    Brisbane, Australia
    Gee you're taking a more scientific approach than I did, but then you'll probably end up with a lot less solder on the back of your pick ups too :).

the stock magnets have 2 black lines on one edge - keep them on the same side and it worked for me. If you're using thicker magnets its best to have 1/4 thick strips of rubber (or whatever it is) to pack out the edge of bobbins. I'm sure this mod has been done without them but I preferred the added structural integrity. I'm sure there are plenty on here with more experience than I however. Perhaps grab some longer bobbin screws too, there small self tappers but I can't remember the size or length sorry.

BCRatRod73 likes this.
  7. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Mate, you failed the Aussie initiation test! :p:D

BCRatRod73 likes this.
  8. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    vegemite instructions.jpg vege-story.jpg

RatRod Gentleman likes this.
  9. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    audept likes this.
  10. RatRod Gentleman

Sep 28, 2020
    Brisbane, Australia
    Must have been like eating beer flavoured ashphalt for a beginer?

BCRatRod73 and audept like this.
  11. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    I must have deliberately blocked the memory from my mind because I don’t want to remember what it tasted like. Haha. I’ll take your description for a beginner as accurate.

RatRod Gentleman and audept like this.
  12. Andrew Paul

Andrew Paul Electromatic

Sep 18, 2020
    New York
    Huge congrats! The white looks great and the matching headstock adds a touch of class on these. Enjoy!

dak55 likes this.
  13. Andrew Paul

Andrew Paul Electromatic

Sep 18, 2020
    New York
  14. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'm thinking htey may have changed the specs, this review done a month ago says it is a 2.5' body.
    https://www.guitarworld.com/reviews/gretsch-g5410t-electromatic-rat-rod-review

I'm Aussie but I'm with you on the vegemite, can't stand it.

BCRatRod73 likes this.
  15. Andrew Paul

Andrew Paul Electromatic

Sep 18, 2020
    New York
    Hey now! Those modifications look super, very classy!

16. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    They even call out that the specs at the time of publication said 2.25” but they measured 2.5”, so there’s no ambiguity there. I guess it changed for 2020, but that’s ONLY a guess.

17. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    @RatRod Gentleman, welcome to the forum. I really like what you did with yours mods, looks great.

18. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, very nice!

19. Snorre

Snorre Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Walkersville, MD
    Congrats and very nice mod! Well done! I love my Rat Rod, too... my rat rod/hot rod/racing theme may be a tad less subtle :D

[​IMG]

20. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Man, that thing looks SWEET with those p90s!

Snorre and sgarnett like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.