New Rat Rod Day

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by dak55, Aug 30, 2020.

1. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

I have no micrometer Wyn, but I would say it is a thinner top than my 5420. It is exactly as Tony described sonically. In fingertip tapping the top comparatively between the 5420, the 5410 has much more echo (resonance) to it. I have flatwounds now on the 5420 so it's not apples to apples for comparison.

section2 and audept like this.
  2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks for the info, dak55. My most responsive Gretsch is an Annie Junior with tone post bracing and a very thin 3-ply top. This seems to be a great recipe.

section2 likes this.
  3. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

Nothing electronically at the moment. It suffers from the same pot taper problems as most Electros but I've grown use to it and isn't a big problem for me. I've always been partial to the V cut Bigsby so maybe a B6C is on the radar. Other than that it is just screaming for a truss rod cover to match the pickups. I'm hoping by now it isn't the first request for Quickguards. It HAS to be red.:cool:

section2 likes this.
  4. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

Paul & Jeffrey,

Tony did an excellent job describing the sound qualities. I have both a 5420 and 5410. I have flats on my 5420 now so it's not a great comparison. I did some drum type fingertip tapping on the top and there is a definite and distinct difference between the two. The 5410 has much more and brighter echo to it. Tony plays a whole different game of ball than do I so I have no desire to change the pickups. It sounds different than any other Gretsch I own as is, and that's a good thing.

(Hey Paul, is it safe to assume that White Falcon pin never made it to Cananda? Wonder where it got to. Maybe next Christmas?)

JeffreyLeePierre and section2 like this.
  5. aFriendbFrosty

aFriendbFrosty Gretschie

May 22, 2020
    West Coast
    That's interesting. Wonder if it has anything to do with the way they apply poly finish?
    A thin poly coat, kinda like what Reverend guitars does, would allow the rat rod to breathe more than the average 5420

section2 likes this.
  6. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    TSims1 likes this.
  7. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I’ve thought the same thing. This is not covered in the thick poly that the other Electros are. And I personally think that’s a good thing, though there are those who love to say that has nothing to do with anything. They are wrong, of course, but I don’t mind. ;)

sgarnett and section2 like this.
  8. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    The pin did arrive! I was just too absent-minded to let you know. Thanks so much for sending it!

9. RatRod Gentleman

RatRod Gentleman Electromatic

Sep 28, 2020
    Brisbane, Australia
    Awesome looking Guitar, I honestly think the Gretsch Custom Shop should look hard at what you've done here.

I've gone down a rather different route with mine. Doubt everyone will agree with the concept but it's unique and it's mine.

Took some time and stuffing around but its epoxy over olivewood with some decals I printed myself and laid in the epoxy (via technique I learned repairing surfboards) Colouring a subtle nod to Tennessey Rose.

For those interested the neck PU is in fact a HS filterton (note the bigger pole screws) for a brighter but less ice picky, warm tone. The Bridge remains a Blacktop but is modified, after making a host of changes to the magnet, wax content and other things it's closeish to its original tone. I'm still playing with the set up to dovetail it perfectly with the HS in the neck but I really like the blend now. The pickup covers were a ***** to make (please note the pole screws are in slightly different locations between a bridges and a neck filtertron and save yourself some pain if you go down this path) but I feel the olivewood over epoxy does something to the tone aswell..

Again their will likely be those who don't agree with the avenue and yep I coulda bought a 5420 but I just loved the feel of the matt paint on the neck when I played this thing.

IMG_5581.jpg IMG_5582.jpg IMG_5583.jpg

10. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I can dig it man. Individualism is what modding is all about. And I’m with you on the comfort factor.

RatRod Gentleman likes this.
  11. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Thanks! Incredible player too.....honestly plays even better than it looks. Great neck. Whisper low setup. And this one is extremely stable......it’ll take all the Bigbsy abuse you got and just come right back to perfect pitch. I’ve had a couple that do that out of the maybe 20 Gretsches I’ve owned...? Some just sit right.

12. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, RatRod Gentleman! Is that Brisbane Australia, or Brisbane California?
    g'day mate.jpg

13. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    Congrats on the nice guitar. I've had my Rat Rod for about a month now. I love it. Got some 1/4" magnets coming in a couple days. The only two mods I've made was to replace the pickup switch tip with a cream plastic knob, and put a Chet wire arm on it. Looks great.
    I've found it works really well as an acoustic too.

14. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Thats a beauty. I like the white best too. I was tempted to buy one but then i realised it would be easier to buy it off @TSims1 when he sells it..... its been an usually long wait!

15. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Looks great Ratrod Gentleman, and welcome to the forum from another Brisbane member.

Agree that the ratrods are a great thing to play, hoping to own one in the future.

16. RatRod Gentleman

Sep 28, 2020
    Brisbane, Australia
    Completely, yes the other g
    Bris Aus, Good to see another Aussie Gretsch player

audept likes this.
  17. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    There is a bunch of Aussies on here. We post and punch above our weight in numbers! :D

RatRod Gentleman and Stefan87 like this.
  18. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Was just looking at these on the Gretsch website, it now says that the body is 2.5' wide, also just read a review saying the same, Gretsch said they were 2.25' in the beginning.
    For those who have the rat rods are they actually 2.5' or 2.25' ?

sgarnett likes this.
  19. RatRod Gentleman

Sep 28, 2020
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'm loving the approach you and many guys appear to be taking in that rat rods are always unique "bits and bobs" in their own right. There needs to be a "rat rod" convention where we can admire them all (sorry if there already is one?)

Regarding your impending magnet mods, I personally found the stock magnet in the bridge blacktop best as it was. Perhaps it's my very weathered ear drums but when i slapped a 1/4 inch in and even doubled up the 1/8 inch stock magnets there's no doubt the sound was clearer but it lost some of its twang, bite and character IMO. Ended up preferring to sacrifice the balanced clarity and decorum for a hint more 'poorly mannered' tyre screech.

Please let us all know where you put what magnets as I'll be very interested in your decisions.

BCRatRod73 likes this.
  20. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Nicely done!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.