New PUD!

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by blueruins, Jun 19, 2021.

1. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Just ordered a set of Fender ‘57/62 pickups
    7F3E8F0F-DD84-4E6E-A2D8-41FCE96D3A84.jpeg
    What you guys Guys (and gals) think?

2. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Looks good!

blueruins likes this.
  3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    It's upside down! :D

blueruins likes this.
  4. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    But first...Are You Experienced?

MrWookiee and Ricochet like this.
  5. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Tidy work ! :cool:

I have no knowledge about Strat pickup range... :oops:
    So how does those 57/62 compare to the FAT50 ? o_O

A+!

6. DennisC

DennisC Country Gent

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Looks very nice!

I'm boring in this regard - don't have that great of knowledge about strats and their inners, but ... this looks pretty well-organized and carefully done - you installed them? Or did you buy a pickguard with electronics already on it? Either way - have fun!

... the middle ones being RWRP is a given nowadays, right?

7. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I’m led to believe that these are reverse engineered from a ‘63 Strat pickup (why the ‘57/‘62 moniker??) and will have a more classic tone than the fat 50’s which are likely a bit overwound to warm them up. I like mine fairly icy.

I bought the whole pickguard assembled. I’m capable of a swap but this is a scratch build and I saved money buying this way plus it is tidier than I could do.
    Yes, reverse middle.

MrWookiee likes this.
  8. DennisC

DennisC Country Gent

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    ... couldn't do it that tidy either, I think... Honestly, I never really tried ... either I did some repairs for someone else, then, of course, I took care that it doesn't look bad, and my own stuff is allowed to look however it comes out looking ... cramming that much stuff into a Tele's electric slot isn't possible without looking like a mess, haha...

Anyway - looks great ... the pickups should be well-balanced, as that is, IMO, the major point in selling them as a set ... and if anything doesn't work flawlessly, you won't have to sit down and find the mistake, but just return it and get a replacement, for anyone selling stuff is responsible for that stuff, at least when new, being intact and working.

blueruins likes this.
  9. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats. I had the switch on my MIM going bad so I bought the Fender loaded pickguard with 57/62s and I enjoy them.

blueruins likes this.
  10. capnhiho

capnhiho Country Gent

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    How’s that gonna fit on a Gretsch???

:p

MrWookiee, DennisC, thunder58 and 4 others like this.
  11. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    I've been tempted on this set or something similar. I actually don't dislike my current stock set, but one never knows until one tries. It could be a much better set, or about the same.
    Can you tell me the measurements of E to E, from the center of the poles? Actually, from the mounting screws too, if you would please. If I recall, in my searches about these Fenders the measurements are not easy to find. Just wanna know how things relate to my string spacing and if a new pickguard is needed, thanks.

blueruins likes this.
  12. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Hasn’t arrived yet, give me a few days. And if I forget just nudge me , I’m old.

13. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    67CDA3F9-126D-4390-9C38-7CD5B711F42D.jpeg
    here’s what they’ll look like...ever seen anything like that before;)
    I guess they’re known for sounding about exactly like you’d expect a Strat to sound; no overwinds, no hype, no magic sauce or fairy dust. Ho hum.
    These are Alnico V and my favorites are Alnico III so I’m curious if they’ll be too “mushy” for me? Going for a little contrast to my other Strat.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.