New pedalboard time!

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by TSims1, Feb 4, 2020.

1. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta

See this chart:

http://www.shootoutguitarcables.com/guitar-cables-explained/capacitance-chart.html

Think of anything below 70 pf/m as low capacitance (Works out to about 22 pf/ft). In other terms, it is often said that 20-30 pf/ft is a well liked "sweet spot" for guitar cables in the typical 12-20 foot range. But Canare GS6 which I like very much is in the 50 pf/ft range and favored by several professional touring musicians. It's tough, handles well, is great to build with and to me sounds just right most of the time.

For patch cables, it's hard to make a rule as their cumulative length is typically too short to matter as much.

2. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I used the Canare GS4 for my right angle pedal board cables. I might start making my own longer cables from the GS6? But I have some cables that just can't stand alongside the two Roland cables in similar lengths, that I bought they are so much darker. I have some proel oxygen-free some quantum low capacitance but they are short short cable and I don't notice a difference. But the no-name longer 20+footers just seem darker than my two Rolands. I use them all the time now.

3. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I used the GS4 (if I recall correctly) for my first SqaurePlug patch cables. No name stuff can be very dark and have very high capacitance. The first Canare I built to replace a no name Guitar Center cheapo cable was a huge revelation high end content.

I think if you compare a 15' Canare GS6 to a 15' Gepco for instance, you may notice more highs with the Gepco. But you may not. I don't think you would call the Canare dark if you heard it by itself. I have been staying with 15', 12' and 10' cables. If you build longer, it may become more noticeable as it's all about total capacitance.

If you think you might want lower capacitance than GS6, I highly recommend the Gepco XB20UB/Lake AVB20UGC if you can find it.

Here's the list again:

http://www.shootoutguitarcables.com/guitar-cables-explained/capacitance-chart.html

On that list, I have used a couple of the Sommers and Gotham and Mogami. Hated most of them for handling and building. Some of them had a sticky substance all over the copper shielding. The Gotham's sheath was loose and the cable had a tendency to rotate inside the sheath. Really loved the Gepco and GS6 overall. Bestronic makes a good in-house cable (0446) but the diameter is kind of large, so it needs G&H plugs. Capacitance is low and it's well made and handles well. Their 0441 is a GS6 competitor with lower capacitance. I might try it some time.

These guys have a number of good things to choose from:

https://btpa.com/Bulk-Product/

Bertotti likes this.
  4. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    How’s about seeing this beautiful board put together? And what’s your favorite verb on the Collider so far... or are they all tops? I thought I remember you were a big fan of the Immerse before so I was sort of surprised to see you not go for it. Although you get the added bonus of a two in one. :)

TSims1 likes this.
  5. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

That’s exactly why I chose this. Space saver. I wanted a minimalist board that does a lot. But not too much......basically cover all the bases I need in as few pedals as possible.

I literally JUST wired it up! Haven’t even plugged it in yet.......but its getting power so......it’s time to go rock out for awhile. I’ll report back!

9193A22E-275F-4682-8679-468A5D315E7F.jpeg

thunder58, Waxhead, new6659 and 6 others like this.
  6. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Any more input on a collider would be great!

7. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Okay - just put everything through it’s paces.

I made great choices. The Nocturne stuff is wonderful, but I already knew that. This wasn’t my first round with these pedals.

The Strobostomp is totally awesome. I love being able to choose the colors of the led screen. I went with bright green because......well, geniuses choose green. ;)

The Keeley Compressor + is outstanding. Then again, I expected that. Robert knows how to do comps. The blend knob(of course)is key. The TONE knob is what’s really cool. You can brighten or darken to taste. Never had a compressor with that feature before and it’s awesome when switching between singles or humbugs.

That leaves us with the Collider. There is not ONE doggone thing not to love about it. Super easy to dial in. Every sound is fantastic and musical. The tap works great. The tweakability factor is high, yet it doesn’t seem too much.

I am SO HAPPY with every doggone thing on this board. Mission TOTALLY accomplished.

thunder58, Bertotti, Ducerro and 3 others like this.
  8. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Very cool! Thanks so much Tony...I’m getting ready to do something similar so this was a big help. Definitely getting the Collider.
    I have a Barber LTD for overdrive which I absolutely love with single coils. It nails that Keith Richards level dirt. Would you recommend the Fluid Drive as a pedal to use in worship for higher gain situations than the Barber?
    I guess what I’m looking for is a smooth medium gain distortion that doesn’t sound too metal.

TSims1 likes this.
  9. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Thanks for the run down.

TSims1 likes this.
  10. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Absolutely. Its a fanTASTIC stacker. I’m using the Mystery Brain preamp for my cleans, the ABBY for my punch in the gut, and the Fluid Drive for my “MORE”. It’s awesome.

11. Ducerro

Ducerro Electromatic

Dec 4, 2019
    Yoakum, TX
    Enjoying watching your "pedalboard" journey! Mine's coming up late next week or the week after.

Got most of my pedals in, but one is on a slow FedEx ride across the nation. And they just extended their delivery window two more days. Not to go too far off topic, but if you ever order from ProAudioStar expect pony express to deliver your order... That pedal was ordered late last Friday so I didn't expect it to ship until Monday, but now they are showing it will be late next week before it's here.... 11 days on a FedEx truck! I know it's "free" shipping, but really! 11 Days! Never again...

Finally found a good deal earlier today on a pedalboard and power supply at AMS. Pulled the trigger on both and those will be here on Saturday. Also "free" shipping...

11 days vs 2??? Wow, just wow... Needless to say that will be my last order at PAS...

blueruins and TSims1 like this.
  12. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Waiting is the WOOOOORST. I can sympathize man.

13. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Curious, where do you like your deluxe reverb’s volume and your brain preamp volume for your clean tone?

14. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Synchromatic

Aug 5, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Also, http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/cablechoice.shtml

15. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I say “clean”, but really my clean is edge of breakup. My clean starts where if I strum lightly it’s clean, but if I dig in with fingers or pic it starts to offer some hair.

So the Deluxe Reverb is between 6 and 7, and I’m setting the Brain to unity gain.

calebaaron666 likes this.
  16. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
  17. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Thanx! Same here!
    I’m always curious how people use their brains.
    I was, for a time, keeping my DR volume at 4 and pushing it to where it would be at 6 with the brain. Now I keep the brain knob at 1 o’clock and my DR volume around 7. It’s magic.

18. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Btw, plus 1 on green for the tuner color. While not exact, it does remind me of the glow from old instrument panels from some classic cars.

EF0598F1-4868-4C2E-B49C-E371EA139F45.jpeg

19. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Nice looking board, Tony! I wish I cooked go with something so straight forward and paired down.

How are you managing presets on the Collider?

20. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Right now just managing from the device itself. A quick hold down on the reverb will allow you to scroll through the 4 presets(though you can have up to 8 if you wish). Stage time will tell if I add an external exp or not.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.