New Pedal(s) Day!

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by OzzPocket, Sep 24, 2020.

1. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    After exhaustive research.....I purchased a new analog delay AND a spring reverb pedal.....and this place seems to like pictures....sooooo......Ain't they purty?? The vapor trail matches well with my Fairlane Blue 5420T! New Pedal Day.jpg

2. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Nice choice of pedals! Congrats!

3. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    How do you like the Topanga?

4. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    I haven't had much time with it yet (a couple hours of playing around).....but so far, I like it. I noticed one quirk (I've actually sent an email to Catalinbread support and waiting on a reply)......

The first time I engaged the footswitch, it sent a loud "pop" to my amp....I thought "uh oh"....and engaged and disengaged the footswitch several times ,and it was fine.... I decided to try running it with an 18V power supply that I bought with it (I first used a 9V, so I could see if there was any noticeable difference)....and when I plugged it in and hit the footswitch, it popped loudly again....but only that once.....

I tried unplugging and plugging in the psu several times, always with the same result....a loud pop the first time, and then it's fine....

I looked it up on the internet, and found a couple of forum posts on some site from a few years ago, where they mentioned the same issue....and their suggestion to the person was to open it up and change the internal switch from True Bypass to Buffered.....

So, I gave that a shot, and it worked....at least so far...I'll play around with it more tomorrow to confirm......but, it didn't pop again after I switched it. And an added bonus, that also allows you to disengage the pedal without losing the end of the reverb trail you might be playing (no "rough cut out" in other words.

But, I still emailed Catalinbread to see if they'll respond to me as to whether that's normal, and if so...why, since I have several true bypass pedals that don't pop when you first use it.....

Aside from that, I think the pedal sounds really nice....and assuming there isn't something wrong with it, I think I'll really enjoy it.

Groutsch likes this.
  5. journeyman

journeyman Gretschie

Aug 20, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario
    Big fan of Catlinbread's pedals. My Talisman plate reverb has no pop, but the Adineko does; like your Topanga, just once when first engaged. Let us know what they say about that.

OzzPocket likes this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    .....and in keeping in spirit of the original unwritten rule here at G-T .." pics or it didn't happen " , I thank you :) . Besides , I'm a bit of a pedal geek myself . I enjoy the NPD threads here on the forum . Congratulations and have fun

OzzPocket and pmac11 like this.
  7. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Congrats. That’s the first I’ve seen of the Vapor Trail. Impressions?

Hopefully they get back to you. Catalinbread had some internal issues after the son died and mother took over the company. I’m pretty sure the court battle with former employees (and brains behind so many great pedals ) that left after is finished. Hopefully the company is back on track.

Their recent Epoch Boost looks tempting to try out at some time. But I’m so in love with my Atomic Brain I’m not sure how much I’d use the Epoch.

Zeek and OzzPocket like this.
  8. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Same issues with EXH Soul Food. Switch to Buffer and it’s gone. Same issue with EHX Crayon only it has no switch for true or buffered by-pass. Not sure why these Companies don’t resolve problems like this.

Merc likes this.
  9. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I sold my Adineko. Although it’s a great pedal (I just don’t have room for every sweet pedal). I don’t recall mine popping at all. Maybe someone else on here has one currently on hand to try out.

10. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    My Topanga does that too.

11. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    My guy at Sweetwater actually recommended the Vapor Trail.......I had been looking at a few others (Including the Mystery Brain...but couldn't get that AND a reverb)....but had also been considering the Boss DM-2W, MXR Carbon Copy, and the CatalinBread Belle Epoch....

I liked having the modulation option....which I don't believe the Boss pedal had, and the carbon copy had it, but it was either on or off from the outside (You had to go inside to adjust it)....and I wanted to see if I liked Catalinbread rather than get both pedals by them (Plus it was getting towards my limit, price-wise)

The V-T, in the time I've used it seems to be exactly what I wanted (and it doesn't pop ;-) ).....it's got 15-600ms delay, adjustable modulation.....from watching videos and reading reviews, the consensus is that it's not as "dark" as the CC.

Plus it has kind of an "effects loop" where you can plug in another effect pedal into the side and have the repeats effected by it.....not sure how much I'll use that, but I'll certainly try it out.

My now-defunct delay pedal was an early "digital" delay that I bought with my paper route money back around '84 or '85......so the analog pedal does sound quite a bit different with the repeats.....I actually think I like it better.

Plus it's made (or at least assembled) in the US....which is a big plus for me.

Merc likes this.
  12. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    Well, Catalinbread got back to me....for those who were curious about the pops....they are aware.....here is the full email/explanation as to why it happens:

"Unfortunately a pop in true bypass mode is normal. The short explanation is this: As a function of its environment, mechanical switches build up electrostatic that is dissipated by engaging the switch. Normally, there would be anti-pop circuitry to stop this at its source. In a standard mechanical 3PDT switch this is possible. But with the way the switch is wired to interface with the buffer/TB switch, adding this circuitry is not feasible without changing the footswitch to a larger one (a 4PDT) but there's not enough room on the board for that. We've tried some soft fixes by hardwiring the circuitry directly onto the board but it doesn't remove the pop. It simply needs to be integrated into the switching schematic."

13. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    My wife used to have that awful pop in her acoustic rig. We swapped out a Baggs M1 and ParaDI for a Fishman Rare Earth Mic Blend and a Fishman ToneDeq and when she'd disengage her Korg Pitch Black, it would make that awful pop. We swapped the Pitch Black for the Peterson Strobostomp which has some timed relay thing that mitigates the issue. Never had it with the Baggs setup but the Fishman rig is such a better fit for her guitar.

I've got a Belle Epoch that I keep in "buffered" bypass in order to benefit from the internal drive circuit and have no pops but I never did try it in bypass. Glad you got it figured out (I would've gone with "trails mode" too) but I too would love to hear what CB says. I've got a Formula 55 on order that I was really hoping would ship in time for our upcoming live stream this Sunday but it looks like I'll have to wait until next week. I dig the CB stuff so far and as mentioned in another response on this thread, just heard about the death and legal issues between CB and Howard (et all). What a horrible thing for all involved.

14. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    Hey OneForSorrow....they did get back to me....look one post up....I copied/pasted their response.

15. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Thanks. Must've come in while I was typing.

16. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    a few options to consider for the FX loop...

run a chorus pedal in the FX loop.

run an octaver with the dry signals turned off, each repeat signal gets another octave up, or down.

tap out just the FX send to split the delay wet signal out to a stereo channel. You would also have to split the dry signal before the pedal.

the FX loop requires an insert or stereo breakout cable. Usually the Red is Return or Right channel, the other one is the Send that goes into the input of the other pedal in the loop.

17. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    Those are good ideas........I may try that....(Yes, I've actually got several send/return cables, so at least I won't need to invest in more stuff...lol)

GlenP likes this.
  18. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I wonder if that initial pop is like a unintentional balancing of the capacitance of the circuit? Like there is a capacitor loading that balances out the first time it is triggered. I would think a simple circuit maybe a single resistor around that foot pedal or ground something like that. I would bet someone already has that answer on the net somewhere.

19. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    For a $200+ pedal, you'd think they'd have resolved that issue.... I mean, I've got a couple Danelectro Cool Cat true bypass pedals that cost around $35 and don't do that.

But, it seems to work fine so far in buffered mode.

Unfortunately, I wasn't so lucky with the Vapor Trail.....that one started making some popping noises randomly, and now a constant static which gets worse/better if you change the mix or delay time knobs.....

So, I emailed my guy and waiting for a return label.......unfortunately, it's now out of stock there....so I'll either have to wait until they come in, or get a different pedal....which is too bad, because for the brief period it worked correctly, it sounded good.

It almost makes me wonder if that "discharge" from the Topanga could have traveled down the line and damaged the V-T is some way?

Bertotti and Henry like this.
  20. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.