New Mesa's

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by BFTmarshall, Sep 11, 2020.

1. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    My wife finds those selling points less persuasive than you might think:)

dougmon, Waxhead and Rmccamey like this.
  2. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    please tell her I'm not suggesting you also get an F30 :p

pmac11 likes this.
  3. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Gretschie

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    Been real interesting with all of them side by side. Running em all through my cabs.

Big eye opener..just how good the EV speaker is..really does reveal an amps character..or even the guitar into amp character.

The MK3 is very clear..thick gain

The 50 Caliber + expounds on that but def up the next level. It seems to have all shades from the Mark series headed forward into the future.. maybe my fav on Brit cabs.

DC3 & el84's very raspy..its nasty in all the good ways. It can get very loud..this became the grab n go from studio to band room. It also can get scary close to my Peavey Classic blues when you tame it. Would use this as an all around amp.

f100. clear..tight..cuts..crunches..tracks fantastic. very mid forward amp

Triple Rec..unbelievable amp..so many ways to use it in studio..it tracks at way lower volume than a marshall..all the preamp goodness really can give you want you need at reasonable levels. The bass & mids can be set so precise. Then instead changing amps or guitars..just flip the rec switch or bold to spongy or pick a channel mode & get that 2nd track so easily. It really is a recording dream amp. responds to the greenbacks. v30's, 5150's,t75's so well. cabs can really place this thing in the band mix. ..if you were were lead or rhythm. been having a blast with a looper & layering the amps for band set up. Might be Trip rec & dsl100 or 50 caliber+ & DSL50 not sure yet, but those combos sound wonderful together L&R. depends if i have to lead or rhythm..which amp will use live. For the first time going to have to go with 2nd guitarist. Music has gravitated to 2 guitar attack last few months. Drummer in place, what 53 songs done this year in Reaper already..waiting for singer to replace my voice & then package it all up & hit the road.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Waxhead, loudnlousy and pmac11 like this.
  4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    My MK3 was a "red stripe" model, too. I had the opportunity to try out a "green-stripe" and a "blue stripe" recently. The "red stripe" has the creamiest overdrive imho. I read that it is basicly the tone of the MK2 c+.

Waxhead likes this.
  5. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Mark V combines voices/tones from the full list of Mark amps.
    My personal fav on Mark V is the Mark IIC+ channel.
    The fat clean channel cloning the Lonestar runs a close 2nd :D

6. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Gretschie

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    MK3 Tracked very well..the EV is so full sounding...the rhythm track came out huge
    MK3 mic'd.jpg

Waxhead and Rmccamey like this.
  7. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    I'm hoping to start playing with an events band soon and have found myself looking at used Mesa Boogie amps; I didn't realise how many models there are (and that in the UK the prices of the new models have recently come down due to not going through a distributor).

Trouble is I search for videos of the older amps that are in the price range I want to spend and then start looking at the newer ones...

sgarnett and BFTmarshall like this.
  8. tommyhawk13

tommyhawk13 Electromatic

Jul 19, 2016
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Top to bottom:
    1st Gen 50 Caliber (no EQ) with EL-84's
    50/50 power amp
    Quad preamp, preamp section from Mark IIC and Mark III
    Halfback cab loaded with C-90's on top, Eminence Black Shadows on bottom,
    I added another cab since this pic with EV's and C-90's.

[​IMG]

Waxhead, pmac11 and BFTmarshall like this.
  9. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Gretschie

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    Nice !!

10. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Gretschie

Jan 12, 2020
    York
  11. tommyhawk13

tommyhawk13 Electromatic

Jul 19, 2016
    Jacksonville, Florida
    The little 50 Cal was my first tube amp, bought new in 1987. The cleans are awesome! I am sure it is similar to your DC-3.

12. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Look for an F30 or F50. They were only made between 2002 and 2006, are surprisingly affordable, and can do pretty much anything a Marshall or Fender can do. I've only had mine for three months or so, still be enjoying the honeymoon.

KelvinS1965, Waxhead and BFTmarshall like this.
  13. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    Which mics are you using?

14. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Gretschie

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    MXL DX2 & MXL R144

MK3 mic'd (2).jpg

BCRatRod73 likes this.
  15. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    MXL mics are a great bargain. I have a V67 and V69 tube mic. How do you like that ribbon mic?

BFTmarshall and pmac11 like this.
  16. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Gretschie

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    I use the R144 on my guitars & bass. My goals in capture are non coloring mic's cause spend my time on the the guitar/amp/speaker set up, I really like the R144 a lot. The Gap 73 Preamp works fantastic with it

BCRatRod73 likes this.
  17. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Thanks; I did some research and have found some used ones that look in decent condition. Reviews seem to hint that the clean is very good (F30), but the gain channel is more 'modern' which isn't really what I'd be after. Do you (or anyone else) think that a 5:25 Express (non plus model) for £100 more would be a better choice than the F30?

18. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Gretschie

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    just back the gain down.."modern" is a cliche for when the gain scares, Mesa is usable gain all the way vs most amps. They didn't mess around in gain staging being absolutely usable the whole sweep..but start at treble & presence & master..the circuits on them can do anything you ask them to. Had the Express 5:25 for awhile & was my least fav mesa..would be a great one for non heavy player..but the thing that really has opened my eyes..the mesa's have chased all the fenders & Vox amps ..immediately out the door.. def get the cleans done..even in a 3d dimensional way...prob i see..people play the amps way too low....yes home playing is part of life but..these amps people rag on not working right..are not being used in intended capacity..well playing at whisper levels,,not going to show the amp capabilities..think amps are made for what?..playing in a band actually..every single marshall..fender..Vox..mesa..at drum kick level..does exactly ..i mean exactly what they are supposed to..squash that volume down & all the sudden ..the speaker isn't effective..the low end falls out & people jam a million pedals at it to recreate a stadium while the baby sleeps.

lol..must be mad at a review i just watched on a gear site about a plexi where a guy bashed it for not sounding right but you could hear his strings being hit on the guitar it was so low..anyways

observation..the mesa's if you are a tone seeking nut..that likes precision..its there...last night even on the Recto got Melody Maker out on chan 1 & strummed the loveliest chords then flipped push on & man did it ride edge of break up & i am am even on the "bad ..just horrible" peavey 5150 cab.. strait up blues & clean on a metal rig

pmac11 and KelvinS1965 like this.
  19. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Handy to know; though I am a 'non heavy player' I guess, so maybe the 5:25 might suit me anyway. I'm going to do bit of research listening to the various videos I've found, but I'll play them through my AV system to get a better feel for the differences. :)

I've got a short term fix for now: I just received an EHX Soul Food pedal and it works really well with my '64 Custom Deluxe reverb (at decent levels too of course ;) ), so I think that will cover me for the initial try out of 6 songs as non of them need more than a small amount of crunch, some of them just straight clean, which the '64 CDR does very well.

If things pan out with the band try out I might watch the classifieds/Reverb/Gumtree and see if a suitable Mesa turns up: I'm not a big pedal fan really; I prefer getting sounds out of my amps: I have a newer 20 watt 'Plexi' SV20H and that sounds glorious when it's cranked up (I do have an attenuator for home playing, but I'm lucky I can play it fairly loud here). I've got a Champ clone that absolutely wails when it's cranked up, but wouldn't have the output I'd need for the band (although it could be mic'd up I need a range of sounds for this gig).

Those amps are all great for setting up a particular sound (and they are all quite different), but not so good for a varied set. If I can get an amp that gives me that range without needing to take pedals too, that would be worth the effort and expense.

BFTmarshall likes this.
  20. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    MB amps (and F series) are not just for "heavy" players.

Yes many (not all) cover a very wide tonal range from clean to high gain but that does not mean that the cleans & reverb have been compromised in any way.

Cleans, reverb on almost all MB amps are already better than Fender, Vox, Marshall etc. They just add on fabulous overdrive, crunch and distortion as well. It's there but you don't have to use it.

yeah I think 5:25 is better than F30 - both are EL84 amps.
    It's more versatile, lighter and has better cleans and reverb, plus does 5 and 25W.
    No criticism of F30 implied here - both are great amps :)

I suggest you disregard the "modern" comments about old Mesa amps.
    F30 was released in 2002.

F30 has a more traditional Mark series flavour of gain.
    Express 5:25 gain is more Marshal flavoured

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    KelvinS1965 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.