New Members Posting Here Just to Sell

drmilktruck

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Double Platinum Member
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
It's always been somewhat of a problem, but has worsened since the GDP went down. People whose 1st post is trying to sell a Gretsch. It's understandable as we're the only Gretsch enthusiast site currently active. However I doubt few if any stick around to participate in the forum. Plus I'd be leery of buying from them due to risk of fraud, unless it's listed on Reverb or eBay with a GT discount offered. If I buy from an established member I'm more comfortable. What do others think? Anybody bought something from the newbies, and how did it go?

mbkri

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 22, 2012
Chicago
People whose 1st post is trying to sell a Gretsch. It's understandable as we're the only Gretsch enthusiast site currently active. However I doubt few if any stick around to participate in the forum. Plus I'd be leery of buying from them due to risk of fraud, unless it's listed on Reverb or eBay with a GT discount offered. If I buy from an established member I'm more comfortable.

Yes it happens rather often these days. I feel like people know me here and could have a reasonable trust that im not going to stiff them or sell something which is less than i say it is. And i feel that way about the members that ive spent years bantering back and forth with. But with someone who is literally arriving to sell something I’d be wary, even if it was a great deal. Maybe especially if its a grest deal. Not that new members are not to be trusted. But that trust is something earned rather than assumed.

Emergence

Synchromatic
Gold Supporting Member
May 25, 2022
New York
I’ve become a little gun shy after a transaction with a new”ish” member who is either forgetful, short of funds, or is thinking the transaction balance is small enough to ignore. Neither a borrower nor a lender be? Maybe neither a buyer nor a seller be. I’m a month shy of 73 with all I need, nothing worth the bother to sell it, and less patience than I had a few months ago.

GretschPlayer101

Gretschie
Oct 7, 2011
Los Angeles
It's always been somewhat of a problem, but has worsened since the GDP went down. People whose 1st post is trying to sell a Gretsch. It's understandable as we're the only Gretsch enthusiast site currently active. However I doubt few if any stick around to participate in the forum. Plus I'd be leery of buying from them due to risk of fraud, unless it's listed on Reverb or eBay with a GT discount offered. If I buy from an established member I'm more comfortable. What do others think? Anybody bought something from the newbies, and how did it go?
Agreed. Maybe not legit sellers but fly by night. Take money and run. If you had a Gretsch for sale here and I bought it I know I would receive it, but a new member who came here to just sell is not trustworthy with my money.

Merc

Friend of Fred
May 6, 2017
Florida

100% on point. I’ve thought the same with any recent new 1st post sale. There are certain longer term members on here I would have no issue buying from directly due to their reputation. In fact I’ve bought pedals, books, and pickups from members. But if a newer member posts anything, especially an expensive guitar… they’d better be driving distance if I were interested. If not, they’re better list on a site like Reverb for me to purchase on for some sort of protection. Or it ain’t happening.

Shock

Synchromatic
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
I have bought a couple guitars on line. My Setzer was the most expensive, the the 6120N, then the 6114N. All 3 were from reputable shops. Then a couple cheapies that I thought were interesting. Nothing more than a couple hundred. I don't trust anyone enough to send them money and hope they aren't going to rip me off somehow. Newbee or not. There are enough guitars for sale that I don't need to make a risky deal, finding concealed damage, find out it isn't what was advertised.

The one time I went out with a fist full of food stamps to buy guitars that were not local, it was Julien's auction. I had to actually hold them in my hand and see what I was laying down that much cash for. My incredible lack of trust in human nature was worth it. After I left the auction with guitars in hand, I didn't pull over until I was in a gas station in Barstow. I popped open the trunk and looked at them. I literally got goose bumps looking at them. Shock, disbelief, and almost choked up at looking at the Setzer prototype and that Cadillac Green 6120N. Sure beats incredible anger and the feeling of stupidity of getting ripped off. The only remorse was not bringing an extra few grand and getting that Brooklyn Burst 6120N.

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
I wasn't going to post on this, but, in some cases, kijiji/E-Bay/Reverb, are every bit as much a crap shoot, if for no other reason than ''you're dealing with an unknown''.

I've been referred to as ''the guy with a million questions'', and in doing so, I know before hand, what I'm expecting to hear as an answer.

Not trusting someone unknown, and walking away has yet to let me down.

Personally, I have no objection to any member ''honestly'' selling anything.

My questions and a set of good photos will sort the wheat from the chaff.

If doable, and the interest is keen, I may even consider a road trip.

A short vacation with my wife and a bonus at the end is actually very nice.

Best,

BIB.

Merc

Friend of Fred
May 6, 2017
Florida
I wasn't going to post on this, but, in some cases, kijiji/E-Bay/Reverb, are every bit as much a crap shoot, if for no other reason than ''you're dealing with an unknown''.

I've been referred to as ''the guy with a million questions'', and in doing so, I know before hand, what I'm expecting to hear as an answer.

Not trusting someone unknown, and walking away has yet to let me down.

Personally, I have no objection to any member ''honestly'' selling anything.

My questions and a set of good photos will sort the wheat from the chaff.

If doable, and the interest is keen, I may even consider a road trip.

A short vacation with my wife and a bonus at the end is actually very nice.

Best,

BIB.

From a few past postings about Reverb, it seems like like they usually favor the buyer when there’s an issue. Not good for sellers, but great for buyers.

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
From a few past postings about Reverb, it seems like like they usually favor the buyer when there’s an issue. Not good for sellers, but great for buyers.
Merc,

What I don't like about Reverb, is their high brokerage fee, as well as tacking a premium on shipping, not to mention, you still don't know who you're dealing with.

My last 325 C58 Ric purchase was advertised on Reverb. I dealt directly with the seller who operated a guitar shop in Italy. I made my own deal with the seller, had the guitar shipped to Canada via my FEDEX account, and saved close to 2 K. All the while being protected by my PAYPAL account.

That kind of money is much better being in my pocket, than it is in Reverb's pocket, or anybody elses.

Some buyers mistakenly think they've found a new friend with brokers like Reverb...these people are not your friends, it's all about the $$$$$.

Best,

BIB.

Merc

Friend of Fred
May 6, 2017
Florida
Merc,

What I don't like about Reverb, is their high brokerage fee, as well as tacking a premium on shipping, not to mention, you still don't know who you're dealing with.

My last 325 C58 Ric purchase was advertised on Reverb. I dealt directly with the seller who operated a guitar shop in Italy. I made my own deal with the seller, had the guitar shipped to Canada via my FEDEX account, and saved close to 2 K. All the while being protected by my PAYPAL account.

That kind of money is much better being in my pocket, than it is in Reverb's pocket, or anybody elses.

Some buyers mistakenly think they've found a new friend with brokers like Reverb...these people are not your friends, it's all about the $$$$$.

Best,

BIB.

Fee’s are just part of it. While I don’t care for them, I still come up ahead compared to a trade in or sale to a music shop. Of course people can sell on Facebook or Meta today and avoid fees of local. My point was it offers better buyer protection than sending some stranger that you met on a forum money.

I’ve actually done the same thing as you did from Italy. When I notice the sellers an actual shop I call direct and score a lower price than Reverb.

BrianW

Country Gent
Oct 21, 2014
Vancouver Island
Bought a few items from long term forum members - absolutely no issues or problems. Also bought an amp via reverb - also no problems. Found that asking questions paid off. The amp was just not available anywhere else. Bought a couple of guitars through the bigger online dealers - again no problems or issues. In all cases received pretty much what I was expecting.

Lucky? Probably. But have walked away from anything that did not seem 100% during "negotiations".
As for a first post sale, I think that would be potentially taking some risk. Fortunately, I am not looking for anything right now... no offence intended to any new members!

cheers

tifftunes

Electromatic
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 12, 2019
Newbury Park, CA
I have quite a few instruments and amps I would like to sell. I think they are at least decent items and fairly priced. However, I'm not interested in listing on fleabay or verb anymore.

I've sold many guitars and amps (and other gear) on both of those sites. But I don't have receipts for most of my gear, and don't wish to play the tax game with them.

Unfortunately for me, I can't really prove I'm a decent and trust-worthy seller, even though I've never had any troubles on fleabay or verb. However, I WILL include my fleabay and verb seller's IDs from now on. That way a perspective buyer can check out my history.

I feel kind of stuck with things now... I was in the middle of "buying and trying" when the Gov changed the taxable limit... Seems kind of arbitrary too, at $600. Especially since most of what people like cost that and more!

Anyway, I'm kind of a new member, and considering listing my gear here... Although, as mentioned, I will list my selling history from elsewhere, as a way of demonstrating my honesty and trust worthiness to a perspective buyer. I hope that helps...

Stefan87

Country Gent
May 20, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I guess it is a hard one, this is one of the best platforms for Gretsch guitars including selling something gretsch related, so it will draw adds for people wanting to get rid of things only and not really wanting to contribute to conversations.

I guess the good thing here is that most frequently viewing members are switched on enough to pick the somewhat suspicious forsale threads from the genuine ones, and willing to help anyone else who struggles with trying to work it out.

I have quite a few instruments and amps I would like to sell. I think they are at least decent items and fairly priced. However, I'm not interested in listing on fleabay or verb anymore.

I've sold many guitars and amps (and other gear) on both of those sites. But I don't have receipts for most of my gear, and don't wish to play the tax game with them.

Unfortunately for me, I can't really prove I'm a decent and trust-worthy seller, even though I've never had any troubles on fleabay or verb. However, I WILL include my fleabay and verb seller's IDs from now on. That way a perspective buyer can check out my history.

I feel kind of stuck with things now... I was in the middle of "buying and trying" when the Gov changed the taxable limit... Seems kind of arbitrary too, at $600. Especially since most of what people like cost that and more!

Anyway, I'm kind of a new member, and considering listing my gear here... Although, as mentioned, I will list my selling history from elsewhere, as a way of demonstrating my honesty and trust worthiness to a perspective buyer. I hope that helps...
While you might be a reasonably new member but you are a supporting member and you do have previous posts, so you might as well give it a go with posting your gear here.

If you've sold many of things on previous platforms then i would guess you know how to show that you are in fact honest and transparent in your ads.

Worst case, you list your adds and no one enquires.

BrianW

Country Gent
Oct 21, 2014
Vancouver Island

I can certainly empathize with your situation. I don't think anybody here means that ALL (or necessarily any) "new" members are trying to unload junk. As @Stefan87 said, you probably know how to write a realistic for sale notice; and know what information perspective buyers are likely looking for - imo that would go a long way. As also stated, not your first and only post, can't hurt to try. Best of luck!

cheers

Rob_Brindley

Gretschie
Platinum Member
Jul 22, 2019
Stoke-On-Trent, England
Online deals are always questionable unless it's from a reputable shop. Personally, if it's a private sale, I never transfer any funds until I have seen the instrument and checked it out in person - usually when I'm collecting it. If it's not right, I can always walk away at that point and all I have lost is travel costs.