Join Gretsch-Talk Today

New member and NGD! - G6609TFM Dark Cherry Stain

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by TrampledUnderFoot, Apr 20, 2017.

1. TrampledUnderFoot

TrampledUnderFoot Electromatic

Apr 20, 2017
    PDX
    Hi all,

New Gretsch (first one!) owner here. I bought this about a month ago actually, but I've been too busy playing it and getting to know the semi-foreign control scheme to join up or post here. It's my first Gretsch and actually the first semi-hollow I've owned, after wanting various semis for many many years. I know the new Broadkasters don't seem to get much love around here yet, but it is a fantastic instrument.

Anyway, pic first: [​IMG]

Album here for some more photos: http://imgur.com/a/23Hnv

Yes, I put the Les Trem II on it right away. Why didn't I just get one with a Bigsby initially? 1) They didn't have the color I wanted and 2) I wanted to try out the Les Trem. 3) I have 3 other guitars with Bigby's on them (I love me a Bigsby) so I wanted to try something different. I almost went with the Stetsbar, but it was a little too pricey for seemingly not much benefit. The Les Trem stays in tune great and I noticed no difference in sustain. Though, when you're playing loud, this thing sustains for days anyway :D

I'm still getting used to the way the guitar's controls interact with each other (seems to be different than all my other guitars in the middle position) and how it works with my rig, but I am having so much fun with this guitar and it sounds phenomenal! I'm playing into a Granger M50 (Bluesbreaker basically) and generally have some sort of boost/fuzz going out front. Sounds wicked with a treble booster.

Quick 'about me':I've been playing for a bit over a decade and have way too many guitars and effects that I don't use, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I live in Portland, OR and play out with my band, Foxy Lemon, a lot (though the Gretsch hasn't seen a gig, yet) and I just plain love music. Can't wait to blast this one at full volume!

Anyway,I'm usually more of a lurker than a poster on forums, but wanted to at least say "hi!" :p

turbo2000, audept, Floo and 5 others like this.
  2. dcj64

dcj64 Electromatic

Feb 22, 2017
    New York
    Welcome to the club!! Nice Guitar!!

TrampledUnderFoot likes this.
  3. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Glad you took the plunge! Cool looking guitar.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Welcome here. Congrats to your new guitar.

6. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    Very nice for a first Gretsch...welcome to the forum!!!

7. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT ,TUF!

Beautiful guitar sir,congrats.:cool:

8. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Welcome, that's a beautiful guitar. Congretschulations!

9. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Welcome,

what a beautiful top and with the Les Trem it looks much cooler as with a Bigsby ... much more elegant ... love it!

benjwri and TrampledUnderFoot like this.
  10. TrampledUnderFoot

Apr 20, 2017
    PDX
    Thanks everyone!

I agree. I love Bigsby's too, but I think the Les Trem looks pretty spectacular on this one.

Me too! I wasn't quite sure what to expect at first, since I've had limited Gretschsposure, but it's great!

Thanks and it definitely won't be my last. :)

11. ronbo

ronbo Gretschie

Feb 28, 2012
    Broomfield, Colorado
    Gretsch with a Les Trem...sweet! I love Bigsby's also but have a couple fo reverends with Les Trems and really love them...no tuning issues at all, ever!

12. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Oha, infected with the Gretsch virus in just a few days ;)

13. TrampledUnderFoot

Apr 20, 2017
    PDX
    I've had it for about a month now. But I've always loved the look of a Double Jet........hmmm

So has anyone compared the Fulltrons to Filtertrons yet? I'd be interested to know the big differences. The Fulltrons aren't quite as 'full' as my other bucker guitars (PAF style); there is quite a bit of chime and openness to them, but they still have a pretty big midrange push.

14. TrampledUnderFoot

Apr 20, 2017
    PDX
    The only thing that I don't like about the Les Trem is that when the bar is swung out of the way, it seems to stick up a bit higher than regular Bigsby's do. Makes it a little tougher to get to the controls sometimes, but I'm getting used to it again. Directly before the Gretsch I was pretty much only playing a Strat. Before that I was rocking an SG with a B7 or my Kauers with B5's, so I'm used to it, but direct from a Strat is a bit of an adjustment haha.

15. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I'm a happy double cut Penguin owner since yesterday. It's a limited edition with mahogany body and maple neck ... usually they are full mahogany like Duo Jets and Les Pauls. So I couldn't resist and didn't regret it.

No, we're still waiting for a review, but from the NAMM video I saw, it seems, they sound a little bit warmer as Filters.

16. TrampledUnderFoot

Apr 20, 2017
    PDX
    I saw your Penguin, it's beautiful! Love the jade green.

They are definitely pretty warm. I'm usually a pretty big modder when I get guitars, but besides the bridge (and putting a little piece of rubber under the pickguard to stop the clacking) I think I'm leaving this one stock.

17. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Congratulations on your first Gretsch, and a real stunner to boot!

18. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Love the look with the Les Trem, brings a classic into the now.

19. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Bremerton, WA
    Beautiful guitar. Congrats and welcome to the forum !!

20. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Thanks

Maybe experiment with string choice for fine tuning?

21. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Howdy! Welcome to the asylum!

That guitar is gorgeous. The Les Trem looks right at home on it.

You're obviously well aware already that you can't have just one Gretsch!