New Member 5’4” Hunting for First Gretsch

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by Graphicwit, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    I agree - the stock stuff can be fine. But it's funny how we've all got that itch to try something more, and how forums like this can push that the workable just isn't good enough. We've got to have the TVJ's, the different bridge, the tuners... If it's an Electromatic or Streamliner, we've probably also got to add a jack plate, maybe a BiggsFix, a squishy spring.
    Sometimes it's good to have a while to get to know something's potential before deciding it can't do the job.

Hope you took the chook out of the esky - leave it in there too long, you'll be stuck in the dunny with salmonella! But I'm glad you know it's an esky, not a chilly bin (dodgy Kiwis, trying to claim Aussie inventions!). :)

Nice to see Ryan/60CH playing with a Mystery Brain the other day. Though his rant was a little confused. :D

2. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Welcome to the forum. I have both the G5420T and G5422T not much difference in feel to me. There is only 1/2" depth change. However I'm 6'4".

3. Steveric

Steveric Electromatic

Jun 11, 2020
    Portsmouth uk
    welcome, im shure what ever guitar you get, you'll be alright

4. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Every 5422 I’ve played is really comfortable. I’m 5’6”

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  5. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    Just get a Jet of some description w Filtertrons and be happy. The tone isn’t that different from a full hollow with the same pickups. A little less bass. Turn the bass knob on your amp a degree or two and you won’t know the difference.

Alanqa likes this.
  6. GHook

GHook Gretschie

Sep 3, 2010
    wnc
    Im a major James Calvin Wilsey fan, may he RIP.

7. Runamok

Runamok Gretschie

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    I recommend avoiding stand-up bass. ;)

What do you play now?
    (Edit: whoops. missed your comment downstream).

I’m not 5’4,” though definitely not 6’4” & I never warmed to an ES-335 sized body. Feels like an ill-fitting suit (to me) no matter how nice a sound. Or sitting on a tall chair, feet dangling just a bit.

I have the same Q while considering a 2nd Gretsch myself.

I don’t think height matters so much as hands & how massive the lower bout is to get around. The combo of lower bout & thickness. Would be nice if the published lower bout sizes.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020 at 10:38 AM
  8. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    I agree the combo of lower bout diameter and body depth is the key factor here. I found a 335 more comfortable than a 5420, purely based off the thinner body (and my need to get up the dusty end). But I prefer the body shape of the G5420. And love playing my G5655TG.

That said, I thought that at least some of that info - body depth and lower bout diameter - was all listed on the Gretsch website..? From what I can see...
    G5220 - 1.85" depth, bout not specified (but I believe it's 13.375")
    G5410 - 2.5" depth, bout not specified (but I believe it's 16")
    G5420 - 2.75" depth, bout not specified (but I believe it's a 16")
    G5422 - 2.25" depth, bout not specified (but I believe it's a 16")
    G5622 - 1.75" depth, bout not specified (but I believe it's a 16")
    G5655T/G - 1.75" depth (at the binding), 14" lower bout

Hopefully that's somewhat helpful....?

new6659 and Runamok like this.
  9. Runamok

Runamok Gretschie

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    Nicely done.
    Can you express in words what makes you like playing the G5655TG more?

From your list, its the thinnest, however it also has the next to smallest lower bout: It essentially rings all the physical bells, except neck profile.

Getting the ES-335 & ES-339 sizes would be nice to compare too.
    They don't seem to cover that one aspect on their website.

Neck profiles in a matrix too. That feel really requires a physical comparison – trying out a Gretsch vs others. Dropping near a grand or more on an instrument, seems like it would be weird to do it blind.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020 at 10:46 AM
  10. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
  11. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Gretschie

Sep 11, 2009
    Venice, CA
    5422s sound great and play great. I would recommend you try one.

12. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    So, the 5655TG's the only one I've owned. The 335 I played in a shop (for a while), it just felt more 'round' than the 5420 I played that day. It felt like it had a very large bottom end. It wasn't uncomfortable, it just wasn't as comfortable a shape, personally.
    The 335's sort of similar to the 2622 (which I'm assuming matches up to the 5622, based on numbers and dimensions - I've briefly played a mate's 2622), though the 2622 felt just a little nicer.

The 5655TG is light enough that it almost wants to neck dive. If it didn't have the tension bar Bigsby, I think it would dive - because the body itself is very light. Neck profile, I didn't mind the 335 (it was an Epiphone, had the Epiphone neck profile), but I prefer the 5655. It's just comfortable (Fender profiles are so common for a reason). And I can reach the 22nd fret (yes, I've played it, occasionally - I regularly play past the 12th).

Ultimately, I was looking at something between Les Paul ES and a 335 sized product, something semi-hollow and light, but preferring that smaller size. 5655TG, Duesenberg Star Player TV, 339... And, balancing price (Duesy was seriously expensive), feel, availability (Epi LP ES's weren't easy to find, though if you could, they were only 1/3 the new price of the 5655TG - though I'd have been buying a Les Trem), etc, the 5655TG won. And I'm happy with it, 16 months in.

I think you're right, these things need to be played to know what's comfortable. There's a few of us on here now with 5655T/G's; there's a few threads about them. I don't think you'd be disappointed, but for peace of mind, it's worth the time to test them, if you can find the opportunity .

13. Runamok

Runamok Gretschie

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    Which would you sacrifice first, if you had to: the precise tone, or physical comfort & How much? Does the neck feel matter & where are your price points on the candidate guitars? (I like a slightly shorter neck scale when stretching several frets at first couple of frets & suspect you might too).

Would you realistically either/or on either choice?

Lower bout on a 00-18 is a modest 13.5” (about as wide as a strat body). I’m assuming the depth is 4-1/8”. A Taylor Grand Concert (if the comparison means anything, not sure if that’s considered 00 or more likely 000) has a 15” lower bout.

Les Paul ~13” lower bout.

I have a Taylor grand concert (4-3/8” dp) & an O size guitar (Gretsch Alligator at 14.” & 3.5” body depth) as well as a parlor size (12” & 3”). I would never go back to a bigger electric guitar (a lower bout over 15”) as part of it is comfort.

Its not easy to compare people, esp. if we’re not same size.

Fwiw, Somewhere in here, I think someone Frosty referred to ES-335 size (?) for point of comparison, though I think you said you were unfamiliar. I’m not familiar enough with the Gretsch line to make equal up comparisons, but I do know you could use the 335 as a sailboard until it took on water. (The trick might be playing side down). Ditto on a Country Gentleman.

I’ve never warmed to the size of a ES 335 personally, have tried 339’s & those feel more comfortable [to me] as far as comfort. The 2” depth is not an issue if you’re used to a 4” dp acoustic, so long as the lower bout isn’t lodged in your armpit.

If it helps any in you decision:
    I’d resolve myself to send a guitar back if I’m not ecstatic abt it & factor in that shipping cost if I were concerned (and I would be). But whether a different guitar gets you the sound that caught your attention, likewise is of course dicey.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020 at 2:48 PM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.