New Les Paul - Pick Guard On Or Off?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by colchar, Apr 2, 2021.

Pick guard on or off?

1. On

19 vote(s)
    35.8%
  2. Off

34 vote(s)
    64.2%
  1. dspellman

dspellman Electromatic

Jul 4, 2020
    Los Angeles
    I've got a ton of Les Pauls (almost literally), and honestly, if you want to keep that top looking good, leave the pickguard on. I've seen a bunch of LPs of late with chewed-up bits past the high E string, and 15 minutes of "pretty" changes places with a whole lot of digs and dings over the long term, if you're one of "those" players. If you're someone who anchors on the guitar itself, or if you dig in when playing the high strings, or if you strum aggressively, the pickguard will save a lot of tops.

new6659, colchar, Henry and 1 other person like this.
  2. dspellman

dspellman Electromatic

Jul 4, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Nah in each particular. If my LPs had pickguards when I bought them, they stay on.
    Almost every LP I own is not top wrapped. No need.

And I have favorite poker chips -- one was made for me that says "*****/Moan." ***** = Beyotch but with five letters.

colchar likes this.
  3. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Country Gent

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
    How can you say 'nah' to an opinion? I'm just saying what I prefer, whether I'm one of 'those' players or not....

4. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I’ve never scratched the top of a guitar from playing it without a pickguard. If I did I can always put one on to cover it if it bothers me.

colchar likes this.
  5. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I voted on but like it either way. I have 3 and keep it on my Tokai and '14 LP Traditional. It's off my goldtop Edwards though....not for looks but rather just feels better without it.

colchar likes this.
  6. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    You could make a pick guard from a dark contrasting wood like walnut or ebony, or maybe even striped ebony or Zebra wood, you know to go with those pickups?

7. Dave Murray

Dave Murray Electromatic

Feb 27, 2016
    Indio, CA
    I think it depends on several factors. First, do you NEED a pick guard? What IS a pick guard? It is an ugly piece platic to which we have all become accustomed to prevent your pick from scraching up the body of the guitar. Does your playing style involve a lot of sweep picking? Then you need a pick guard. Do you play finger style with a thumb pick like Chet Atkins? Then you don't need a pick guard.

Second, do you want to look cool ? Then don't use a pick guard unless yout don't care about scratching the top of your guitar and refer to the First above.

Of course, the bottom line, it is up to you and other people's opinions really don't matter.

colchar likes this.
  8. Dave Murray

Dave Murray Electromatic

Feb 27, 2016
    Indio, CA
    Good advice . . . That's the way I handle my swim suit when I go to the beach.

9. Dave Murray

Dave Murray Electromatic

Feb 27, 2016
    Indio, CA
    Right, but tell that to Willie Nelson!

10. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Got this album back in 1968 or 69. It makes me think the guard is meant to be on. This image of Mike Bloomfield with a sunburst Les Paul did a great deal to bring this guitar model into the wider public consciousness - and it has a pickguard;)

upload_2021-4-7_1-42-24.png

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  11. PrimitiveWood

PrimitiveWood Electromatic

Oct 16, 2014
    Pennsyltucky
    It's an Epi--
    But I vote without too.;)

EpiLP.jpeg

12. dspellman

dspellman Electromatic

Jul 4, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Congrats. There are a whole lot of people who DO scratch the top of a guitar playing it without a pickguard.

nickurso likes this.
  13. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I just feel like if you play it than it’s wear and it’s fine. Guitars get scratched

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.