New Les Paul - Pick Guard On Or Off?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by colchar, Apr 2, 2021.

Pick guard on or off?

1. On

19 vote(s)
    35.8%
  2. Off

34 vote(s)
    64.2%
  1. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Yes, some LPs have nice wood that shouldn't be hidden. My Epi Traditional Pro III Plus LE.
    Body A.JPG
    And with the arched top, if you're careful with the pick you shouldn't need it.

On my latest I prefer the classic look with cream PG and poker chip, so it depends on the guitar.
    The OP LP is beautiful wood and shouldn't be covered.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    Zeek and colchar like this.
  2. Chris MC

Chris MC Gretschie

Oct 27, 2014
    Orange, Aus
    My vote is for off, until its time to put it on.

colchar likes this.
  3. SAguitar

SAguitar Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    I get carried away and play with a little too much follow-through sometimes and my darned pick can inflict damage quickly. I have a beautiful LP that came without a pickguard, and within the first hour on it I whupped it. The next day it received a nice scratch plate, and under that plate is a nice scratch.

new6659 and colchar like this.
  4. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    I've always liked the look better without, especially if the top is nice and yours is nice. Ditch the guard. If you get dings or crazing, that's just character and a well loved & oft played guitar deserves a little character, don't you think?

-m

Zeek and colchar like this.
  5. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yea, this. Not liking that big white slab of plastic. I'd be curious to see it photocopied with an aluminum guard.

Telechamp likes this.
  6. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  7. colchar

colchar Electromatic

Oct 5, 2020
    Southern Ontario

I am trying to transition to playing with my fingers. If I am successful, then I should be all good.

8. Zeek

Zeek Country Gent

May 29, 2016
    Illinois USA
    Off... Always off, Its the first thing I do before I change my strings. LP's and Gretsch's

colchar likes this.
  9. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Country Gent

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
    +1 for pickguard off, PokerChip off and top-wrap!

10. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Electromatic

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    That's a rather nice/interesting plain top IMO, and I like this one with the guard off. I almost always like the guard off of LPs when they have open bobbin pickups, and the guard on with covered pickups. The gold lampshades look nice on there, but I'd be tempted to throw some gold reflectors on there for a classy late 70s/early 80s look.

11. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Since I play with a heavy hand I leave them on. In your case the guitar looks great with it off or on.

colchar likes this.
  12. colchar

colchar Electromatic

Oct 5, 2020
    Southern Ontario

I never take the poker chip off. Top-wrapping depends on the guitar.

Rob Williams likes this.
  13. colchar

colchar Electromatic

Oct 5, 2020
    Southern Ontario

The top actually has a bit of flame. It is subtle though, which I like as I am not a fan of flame.

It originally had reflector knobs, which I usually prefer, but I put on amber top hats to darken things a little bit.

14. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    i normally like pick guards in bht rather it off on this one, its a very nice looking les paul.

colchar likes this.
  15. HopeB

HopeB Electromatic

Feb 12, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    Hubby said “on” is like a bikini model wearing a muumuu....LOL

colchar likes this.
  16. Abeno Matto

Abeno Matto Gretschie

May 8, 2014
    Japan
    I didn't read other responses, but I'm a pick guard on guy because when I was a kid I'd draw pictures of Jimmy Page and he had the pick guard on. On the other hand sometimes it's nice to see the wood patterns.

colchar likes this.
  17. michelb

michelb Synchromatic

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    I vote off :p If you can't decide, clear is always a good option

18. Tokairic

Tokairic Electromatic

19. Wavey

Wavey Electromatic

Dec 31, 2016
    NorCal
    I like the look of your LP without the pickguard. Dunno why.

I had two LPCs, a white 1974 (which I sold) which I left the pickguard on, and a black 1972 LE reissue of a 1954 w/ P90s (which I still have) which I took the pickguard off. To me, the white LPC looked better with the black pickguard on as it accentuated the other black trim items (witch hat knobs, black/white binding, black headstock faceplate). The black LPC to me looks better with the black pickguard off (blackout look with a bit of gold trim). I don't use a pick BUT still I find my nails do come into contact with the top and that will eventually start to whittle away the finish. This hasn't had much effect on the LPC so far, but on my old ('61) Guild Starfire (also pickguard off) this has resulted in some wear to the finish near the treble E string. There's not going to be enough time that I will ever make it resemble Trigger, and as others have stated it is a sign of character and a well favored instrument.

colchar likes this.
  20. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    C,

As you can clearly see, it's a personal preference thing.

The guard, from the photos, seems to pretty much match the white/cream color of the PU surrounds, and the salt & pepper PU covers.

Just my opinion, but the guard does ad nice detail to an other ''plain looking guitar''.

Besides, better to ''pick scratch'' the guard, than the top of the guitar.

Just me.

A poor example, I'll admit, but ''Old Black'', somewhat saved by a pick-guard...

BIB.

Old Black.jpg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.