New Jets Coming

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by new6659, Sep 25, 2020.

1. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yep, 1200 bucks new I'd be in, and I wouldn't care if it was Electro or Proline.

Marv666 likes this.
  2. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    I am gonna follow my momma's advice so...

5120mantis likes this.
  3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Pass. My house is a tension bar Bigsby-free zone and it's staying that way!

4. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Yes!

And, a really good workout in the shop before filling the vendors till.

My Electromatic Pro-Jet, is from around 2005-ish, I slightly routed out the cavities to fit real Dyna's, added a real vintage ''V'' Bigsby. a Rocking Bar bridge, and a Duo Jet pick guard.

I like my ''home brew'' version much better, second photo and the mods were a snap.

This guitar is played far more often than my $$$ George version. IMG_0231.JPG

BIB. 2010_03020003.JPG

5. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I will buy a different builders guitar before I buy one with the tension bar.

stevo and audept like this.
  6. Berington

Berington Electromatic

Jan 6, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I'd stick with the black myself, maybe the burgundy. As to "replicating George's," his had a proper Gretsch Bigsby on it, with the V-cutout, no roller bar, simple bar bridge and all. duojet.jpg gretsch-george-harrison-duo-jet_beauty.jpg By chance, that happened to be the very first electric guitar I ever touched, same as George's Duo-Jet, back when The Beatles were first out, and I was going to a small music store in Gibsonia PA, for my very first guitar lessons! They had the Duo-Jet and also the same model of John's Rickenbacker 325 (w gold pickguard) in their front window, although it was sky blue. Funny, I knew little to nothing about electric guitars then... I had no idea how amazing it was to have those guitars there! I knew I loved the feel of the Duo-Jet, even the solid tension of the knobs, and it was a thrill to "play" it. Wish I could've persuaded my parents to go for either of those instead of the little Kent acoustic they gave me for my birthday. But hey, that Kent was still SO exciting... I still have it hanging on the wall outside my studio door! And now I do have 2 Gretsches (reissue '62 Country Gent & reissue '62 Tennie, the same models George played at the time) and 2 Rics ('66 360-12 & 4001 bass). And a bunch more... so I'm okay now. Happy to still have my little Kent, & the Teisco Del Ray electric they gave me the next Christmas! That's hanging up in another room, too! Humble but proud beginnings. I'd still love that black Duo-Jet, no doubt! Maybe one day...

DougCraft and BuddyHollywood like this.
  7. lbrous2

lbrous2 Electromatic

Nov 23, 2017
    Florida
    BIGSBY COMPENSATED ALUMINUM BRIDGE would be my choice and an inexpensive fix.
    bigsby_compensated_aluminum_bridge_plain_G__30733.1358970157.1280.1280.jpg

section2 and 5120mantis like this.
  8. Andrew6128

Andrew6128 Electromatic

Oct 20, 2019
    Japan, Tokyo
    Like the color option on these but the tension bar bigsby just don’t look right on a Gretsch.

9. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Gretschie

Sep 11, 2009
    Venice, CA
    On the one hand I absolutely love the idea of a fixed bridge on a Duo Jet. On the other hand I don't want a tension bar Bigsby on an archtop guitar that is either chambered, hollow or semi-hollow. I don't mind them on solid body guitars. I actually prefer the G Tailpiece on my Duo Jet because I noticed it allows the top to vibrate more freely than a Bigsby. If I ever bought a guitar with a V stop tailpiece I would swap it immediately for a straight one.

10. Marv666

Marv666 Electromatic

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    I´m with you guys, love it except for the tension bar bigsby

Ando and 5120mantis like this.
  11. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    oh bloody hell they are nice! the ivory one is mine i tell thee!

Merc likes this.
  12. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    you guys are making me think twice about my players edition sparkle jet i want, so much tension bar hate around here wow! this is the friendliest most helpful forum i have ever seen but god help you if you like tension bar bigsby's haha

13. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    We are just spoiled by non-tention bar Bigsby's. Like I said for the right tele I might consider one but since I know Gretsch without them I am not willing to spend money on one with it.

Ando and GOOBALL JEFF like this.
  14. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I think in general any Gretsch forum will have more purists at heart as members. While players less familiar with the Gretsch of yesterday tend to be more welcoming to changes and modern updates.

As far as Bigsbys go... I prefer the look and slinkier feeling of a non tension bar. But honestly, for the amount of time I’ve used a Bigsby while playing it would be perfectly fine. It’s just a trade off for some players who yearn for a Gretsch with a modern neck angle, etc.

I’m personally open to modern updates while still offering original spec Gretsch guitars. The G6228 which is the only modern Players Edition Gretsch I’ve played, is a superb player. The slimmer neck heel is insanely comfortable. The BT65 still retains Gretsch clarity and sparkle to me. And as far as a stop tailpiece goes, the V is very Gretsch to me and looks better than a straight bar. But yet there are some haters who have never even played the G6228 for those reasons. It just is what it is. I wouldn’t let the opinion of others sway you from a purchase or a love of a guitar.

Bertotti, new6659 and GOOBALL JEFF like this.
  15. adauria

adauria Gretschie

Dec 22, 2016
    Wake Forest, NC
    6228FM is my #1 since I bought it - AMAZING guitar. Of course, you have to be able to live without the Bigsby at all, but I've got my 5420 for a Bigsby fix (and no tension bar).

-Andrew

new6659 and Merc like this.
  16. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    That's going to be hell to get to return to pitch with that tension bar Bigsby. Why do this?

17. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Re the tension bar, I think it works well on some setups, like the b70 on the 5622 - it actually makes sense, with the right amount of spacing for the right break angle and no tuning issues (for me). But I think on the smaller Jets the break angle is too steep, granted I haven't touched a jet with a tension bar bigsby in over 5 years.

I also prefer the look and feel of the wood bridge base and steeper neck angle.

18. lbrous2

lbrous2 Electromatic

Nov 23, 2017
    Florida
    [​IMG]
    Just bought a tension bar Bigsby Jet. At least it has a roller bridge. Can anyone guess year cause it looks old with Gretschbuckers. Electromatic on headstock.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  19. Fredo

Fredo Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    The tension bar on my Pro Jet never presented me with any problems. If I run the strings over instead of under it feels and works the same.

DougCraft and GOOBALL JEFF like this.
  20. DougCraft

DougCraft Gretschie

Apr 24, 2018
    Northern Colorado
    I love the Dynasonics (TV Jones T-Armonds) on my G6128T '57. It's the Gretsch version of the Les Paul with P90s - great clean tones and nasty crunch and rock...

G6128-001.jpg

5120mantis, new6659 and Bertotti like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.