New guitar day goes bust…

radd

Friend of Fred
Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
Ordered a used guitar through Reverb, it arrived today. I planned to take it apart and use the Strat body on a another build and put the neck on another fully loaded Strat body I have and sell it.

The body was what I had been looking for, a Fender Strat in Olympic White that had yellowed nicely with age.

Unfortunatly the box end was ripped open and in its travel across country by truck all the peanuts came out and the Strat protected only by a thin gig bag bounced all over in the large box.

The result, a major neck pocket crack and a small crack to keep it company.

I messaged the seller with pictures of the outside of the box, the box inside when I opened it and one of the neck pocket cracks. He responded quickly, very apologetically and agreeded to a full refund including return shipping.

Oh well, on the hunt for a vintage Oly Strat body again.

F1A3A123-526D-4807-B544-50ECEE73A5B4.jpeg E0C0E6F5-A7D2-4422-8741-F45998E9C9C2.jpeg 3EEBFAFD-9F60-47B2-86BD-5F62E766B73F.jpeg

Emergence

Synchromatic
Gold Supporting Member
May 25, 2022
New York
A center piece size koa bowl my wife bought in Hawaii just arrived yesterday. It was wrapped in flannel cloth covered with layers of bubble wrap with different size bubbles with all that packed into a double box. Ship it home or try to carry it home on the plane? We'll ship it professionally packed every time. Just sayin'.

radd

Friend of Fred
Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
A center piece size koa bowl my wife bought in Hawaii just arrived yesterday. It was wrapped in flannel cloth covered with layers of bubble wrap with different size bubbles with all that packed into a double box. Ship it home or try to carry it home on the plane? We'll ship it professionally packed every time. Just sayin'.

We were moving about a mile away and I was moving my wife’s glass shelved tall doll display cabinet. I carefully wrapped the 5 shelves in paper and taped then together and placed them on the roof of my truck planning on carrying them in the cab with me after I loaded the cabinet in the bed.

I forgot them up there. I drove to the new house, got out of my truck and the shelves were still on top!

I was so relieved but moving way to fast for I proceeded to lift them off the roof of the truck and dropped them in driveway…..All 5 shelves shattered…😧

I suggest you not call me if you need help moving…🙃

AZBrahma

Synchromatic
Dec 18, 2020
Arizona
That stinks, but the right one will turn up for you. As far as that one, those look to be just finish cracks but it sucks nonetheless.

radd

Friend of Fred
Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
That stinks, but the right one will turn up for you. As far as that one, those look to be just finish cracks but it sucks nonetheless.

You might be right but one crank worries me. The crack is deep, runs perfectly straight down from the pocket to the back of the guitar and wraps around the back and goes under the neck plate. It never changes direction.

mrfixitmi

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2010
Michigan
@radd

So sorry, for your loss and agree that this hurts.
I had shipped a banjo neck to be straightened. It arrived safely Knowing that it was made out of 1918 UN-obtanium I did reinforce the box by hot gluing cut carpet tubes so that if the box was stepped on, it would hold about 300#. I did not write fragile on the box, to me this just entices animal type behavior.

The neck was straightened and re-packaged in the same boxes. The repair shop wrote fragile on the box and including the famous broken glass sticker. When it arrived, the box looked like it was used for batting practice, with the tell tale rattles from within the box. I did not sign for the package until I opened it, and yes it was full of 1918 pieces of scrap.

It was insured, however the neck was an early prototype, and was not replaceable. Even when the person who shipped it was careful, there is no guarantee of people respecting the package, nor was there any guarantee that the automation did not eat it.

Hopefully, you will find a replacement, but my heart goes out to you.

I know that this experience and several other "mishaps" have tainted me, and I am probably not normal in my view, but I try to buy where I can drive if the parts are rare, and not easily replaceable.

radd

Friend of Fred
Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
@radd

So sorry, for your loss and agree that this hurts.
I had shipped a banjo neck to be straightened. It arrived safely Knowing that it was made out of 1918 UN-obtanium I did reinforce the box by hot gluing cut carpet tubes so that if the box was stepped on, it would hold about 300#. I did not write fragile on the box, to me this just entices animal type behavior.

The neck was straightened and re-packaged in the same boxes. The repair shop wrote fragile on the box and including the famous broken glass sticker. When it arrived, the box looked like it was used for batting practice, with the tell tale rattles from within the box. I did not sign for the package until I opened it, and yes it was full of 1918 pieces of scrap.

It was insured, however the neck was an early prototype, and was not replaceable. Even when the person who shipped it was careful, there is no guarantee of people respecting the package, nor was there any guarantee that the automation did not eat it.

Hopefully, you will find a replacement, but my heart goes out to you.

I know that this experience and several other "mishaps" have tainted me, and I am probably not normal in my view, but I try to buy where I can drive if the parts are rare, and not easily replaceable.

That is terrible.

I once ordered a high end handlebar for a racing bike and the box it arrived in was absolutely pristine as was the inside. However, the handlebar was in pieces in the bottom of the box.

The original box clearly was destroyed in some sort of accident and UPS repackaged the pieces and sent it on. I of course go a full refund.

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
Ordered a used guitar through Reverb, it arrived today. I planned to take it apart and use the Strat body on a another build and put the neck on another fully loaded Strat body I have and sell it.

The body was what I had been looking for, a Fender Strat in Olympic White that had yellowed nicely with age.

Unfortunatly the box end was ripped open and in its travel across country by truck all the peanuts came out and the Strat protected only by a thin gig bag bounced all over in the large box.

The result, a major neck pocket crack and a small crack to keep it company.

I messaged the seller with pictures of the outside of the box, the box inside when I opened it and one of the neck pocket cracks. He responded quickly, very apologetically and agreeded to a full refund including return shipping.

Oh well, on the hunt for a vintage Oly Strat body again.

View attachment 181709 View attachment 181710 View attachment 181711

radd,

Could just be cracks in the urethane.

From what you're saying in your narrative, this location is a strange place for damage to occur due to impact.

I'd be inclined to take the neck off and have a closer look in the neck pocket.

You may find this crack is urethane only. Use a magnifying glass or a jeweler's loop to have a good look.

Remembering Hendrix's antics on stage, the guitar took a lot of whacks on the stage floor and the neck remained attached.

Best,

BIB

jimi.jpg

Last edited:

radd

Friend of Fred
Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
radd,

Could just be cracks in the urethane.

From what you're saying in your narrative, this location is a strange place for damage to occur due to impact.

I'd be inclined to take the neck off and have a closer look in the neck pocket.

You may find this crack is urethane only. Use a magnifying glass or a jeweler's loop to have a good look.

Remembering Hendrix's antics on stage, the guitar took a lot of whacks on the stage floor and the neck remained attached.

Best,

BIB

View attachment 181742

You might be correct but I know myself well, that big crack, finish or not, would drive me crazy every time I looked at it.

AZBrahma

Synchromatic
Dec 18, 2020
Arizona
That is terrible.

I once ordered a high end handlebar for a racing bike and the box it arrived in was absolutely pristine as was the inside. However, the handlebar was in pieces in the bottom of the box.

The original box clearly was destroyed in some sort of accident and UPS repackaged the pieces and sent it on. I of course go a full refund.

Yeesh...I'm going to guess that was carbon. I gave up on the stuff. All high-end aluminum bits and titanium frames for me for about a decade now, except forks. There are no good alternative to carbon forks. But after a few broken carbon bits that could have cost me my teeth, I decided against it going forward. Some people have great luck with it, I'm not one of them.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
You might be right but one crank worries me. The crack is deep, runs perfectly straight down from the pocket to the back of the guitar and wraps around the back and goes under the neck plate. It never changes direction.

The problem with urethane cracks is you don't know where they will end up and at what stage the paint cracking is. I think you made the right call. Cudos to the seller.

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
You might be correct but I know myself well, that big crack, finish or not, would drive me crazy every time I looked at it.

radd,

I know exactly how you feel.

Having said that, in my ''more mature'' years, I have grown to appreciate minor nicks/dings/checking on ''certain'' vintage instruments.

And...grown wise enough to leave well enough alone, because ''sometimes'' trying to correct small/insignificant imperfections, can lead to big problems when mistakes are made.

Best,

BIB

Latest posts