Join Gretsch-Talk Today

New Gretsch Penguin question

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by donvegas, Feb 16, 2017.

1. donvegas

donvegas Electromatic

Feb 16, 2017
    los angeles
    Hi All
    New here but a long time gretsch player. I have an intro in the intro forum.
    So I picked up a Special Run Penguin from WildWood and noticed something different spec wise as compared to the Gretsch web page. The wildwood guitar has a 3 piece neck where as the specs on Gretsch's website say 1 piece. It's not a big deal to me but thought it was interesting. Does anyone know if the the 3 piece neck was exclusive to WildWood? It's a beautiful guitar and my first with Dynasonic pickups (Duncan). Holy cow are they powerful.

2. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Welcome and congrats on the penguin. We'd sure like to see it!

I don't know anything about your guitar, but if it is a factory special run, then I have some general thoughts: (1) it is unlikely that the Gretsch website will have specific info on it since they usually only post for standard production (I could be wrong), and (2) give Wildwood a call - they may have specified or requested a 3-piece neck, although oftentimes FSRs change aesthetic items (inlays, finish) but they could specify certain builds.

3. donvegas

donvegas Electromatic

Feb 16, 2017
    los angeles
    Penguin 2.jpg
    Here's a quick photo. Bought used but looks brand spanking new with no play wear. had to bring the action up a bit to my liking. Other than that it's a dream

Henry and Gretschman2 like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Bremerton, WA
    Niiiiiccee !!

6. slimwilson

slimwilson Gretschie

Dec 22, 2015
    Arlington, Tx
    $1900 or so on reverb?

7. donvegas

donvegas Electromatic

Feb 16, 2017
    los angeles
    Hi Slim
    No I bought directly from WildWood. I called them and worked out a price. The one on Reverb (at least the one I saw) didn't have a bigsby and had the Gretsch Dyna's as opposed to the Duncans. I contacted the Reverb poster to confirm. His was a WildWood purchase also

8. Mudshark

Mudshark Gretschie

Jul 20, 2012
    Canada
    IS there any else that is different, was wondering what the scale is on a Penguin, shorter than a Falcon and same as my Powerjet?

Nice guitar, a rock and roll machine.

9. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Penguins are 24.6" scale. You may find typos on some Gretsch documents which say 25.5" but these are incorrect.

10. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    It seems, I found a 2015 WildWood promo video about your Penguin ;)

What a beast!

So it's definitely a special run, but because it was sold used, it's hard to tell, if it was a WW Special. I guess it was just a limited edition like my Red Falcon. Fact is, that even my Red Falcon never showed up on Gretsch's website, though it was just a normal limited edition in 2012, which was sold worldwide.

PS: I think the 3-piece neck is a bonus, because it gives better stability and depending on the used woods influences the tone ... and the tone of this beast is great, right? So congrats on a great, unique Penguin!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  11. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    I'm not sure what you mean with three piece neck. Do you mean the neck in it's entirety or only the headstock? It's common on Jets, where you can see it through the transparent paint, that the piece of wood used for the neck is smaller than the headstock. Small extra pieces of wood are used for the width of the headstock. I'm pretty sure that's also the case with Penguins, but it's still called a one piece neck. Though technically not entirely correct.

12. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Usually a 3-piece neck looks like this (the 2 on the right):

[​IMG]

13. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I do have to point out that Gretsch's website is notoriously inaccurate when it comes to specs. I still find it hard to believe at times.

loudnlousy, Robbie and Aymara like this.
  14. donvegas

donvegas Electromatic

Feb 16, 2017
    los angeles
    It's a 3 piece laminate down the length of the neck. I can see it in the right light. Like I said though I don't particularly prefer a one piece to a laminate or vice versa so long as the guitar is built well. I'm just curious if It was Wildwood thing. Englishman , yeah I've noticed that about gretsch's site

15. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Gretschie

Sep 11, 2009
    Venice, CA
    If this is your guitar that Greg Koch is playing it sounds amazing! This tone is the reason I bought a Duo Jet and this guitar sounds like it hit the pinnacle. Congratulations!

16. donvegas

donvegas Electromatic

Feb 16, 2017
    los angeles
    That's not the exact one based on the serial number in the video but it's the same specs. One thing I've noticed is that after getting the guitar I can play like Greg Koch now, weird...:D

17. Random1643

Random1643 Synchromatic

May 10, 2015
    Upper Midwest, USA
    Well, that's a great investment then. ;)

Congrats!

18. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    ...I should not have bought that uke....

19. donvegas

donvegas Electromatic

Feb 16, 2017
    los angeles
    I was torn between that guitar and the Ocean Turquoise with TV classics. I already have the TRose with FT's so I went with something different. The dynasonics are great. My only issue is that the neck pickup with my clean boost engaged distorts my amp and not in a good way even on low volume. This could be an amp or speaker issue though. Thanks all for the good vibes... I don't buy expensive gear usually and I'll probably never spend that much on guitar again, but this will be with me for a lifetime