New GFS Filtertron-style Humbuckers in my G2622

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by MrClint, Jul 29, 2021.

1. MrClint

MrClint Gretschie

Nov 27, 2017
    Lake Balboa, CA
    I'm embarrassed to say that I've had these pickups sitting in their box for over a year. Time really flies when you procrastinate. Like a lot of folks with the Broad'Tron pickups in their streamliner, I kind of fell out of love for them. Seemed harder to get the tone that I was after. At any rate it didn't take that long to do the upgrade and it's about time to dial them in and take them for a spin.

A little side note, I listened to the sound samples on the GFS site for the Nashville Vintage, Nashville Hot and Liverpool pickups and couldn't really tell that much of a difference. So I went with the Nashville Vintage. With the Kwikplug system it would be a no brainer now to swap them out for something else. I'm interested in any experiences folks have had with any of these GFS filtertron style humbucker pickups.
    G2622-body.jpg
    I also decided to leave the pick guard off as well.

2. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    No knowledge of the Filtertrons.

I have two G2622s and love both. I wasn't expecting the "Gretsch" sound from them so wasn't disappointed (as some seem to be). To me they are fantastic 335 clones when the real thing is $2200+ and I don't care for the Epis.

My G2622T-P90 growls and barks as a fantastic R&R and Blues machine.
    I wrote in another thread that I am thinking of installing some GFS A5 HBs (5-wire for splitting) into my G2622 WS for more of a PAF tone. Seeing the PBS documentary on Chuck Berry makes me want that sound.

Have you considered changing the gold knobs on yours? JMO but I don't care for that color, my (newer) model has black and the chrome knobs look great too.
    I'm looking at some cool black/silver knobs for mine.

maloburro likes this.
  3. MrClint

MrClint Gretschie

Nov 27, 2017
    Lake Balboa, CA
    The knobs don't really bother me, but trying some other options is not out of the question.

maloburro likes this.
  4. maloburro

maloburro Electromatic

Feb 10, 2020
    sacramento ca
    I have a set of the Liverpools that I got for a ridiculously low price. I dropped them in my 96 beater ibanez talman that I keep in my classroom for kids to bang around on during recess. I tapped/split them. They sound kick ass. Plenty of twang and growl.

congrats. There are a few other GFS vintage themed pickups id like to try as well.

MrClint likes this.
  5. MrClint

MrClint Gretschie

Nov 27, 2017
    Lake Balboa, CA
    Yeah all the pickups in that GFS line sounded really good online. None of them break the bank either.

6. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    It's crossed my mind to try these Nashville's in the mini version in my Gretsch as I've always really digged the Surf90's I have in another Gretsch!

MrClint likes this.
  7. MrClint

MrClint Gretschie

Nov 27, 2017
    Lake Balboa, CA
    Those Surf90's caught my ear a bit. They've got a little sumthin-sumthin going on. I'm hoping to get a track up this weekend featuring my new Nashvilles. It feels like they have added a whole new life to this guitar. Still mucking around with pickup height and such though. I can see how this modding thing can be addictive. You certainly come away with a deeper understanding of your rig. :)

S.R.Cash likes this.
  8. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    All the GFS Pickups I've tried have been great! I swap out often with the kwikplug harness, just takes a few minutes. Here are some pics of the Gold foils, surf 90's and filtertrons in some Gretsch guitars. I have others as well, p90's and strat goldfoils in "non Gretsch guitars, all sound great and they're a great value.

Attached Files:

MrClint and S.R.Cash like this.
  9. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Surf 90's are awesome! I have this combo going on in my 5122 right now and really happy with the tone! T-Armond in the neck and Surf 180 in the bridge

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    MrClint and S.R.Cash like this.
  10. CaliforniaSlim

CaliforniaSlim Gretschie

Jul 21, 2016
    I have had the GFS Nashville and Memphis pickups. I really like them. They do great at a very reasonable price!

MrClint likes this.
  11. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I had Eman put the GFS Memphis in the Astro 12 he did for me and i really like them, they worked out great.

MrClint likes this.
  12. MrClint

MrClint Gretschie

Nov 27, 2017
    Lake Balboa, CA
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.