New GAS - Any BroadKaster Owners around?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Mr Swisher, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Mark 6120

Mark 6120 Electromatic

Nov 5, 2020
    DFW
    I thought Broadkasters were drums? Or an oddly shaped, solid body Fender guitar;):D.

Archtops likes this.
  2. Archtops

Archtops Gretschie

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Wow! That is beautiful!

3. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    Yes their is a Gretsch drum kit of the same name.

4. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    So i've had a few nice offers for the 335 that will see me make money on it, and be able to get the Two-tone Broadkaster.

If anyone knows of any reason why this is a bad idea... speak now or forever laugh at my stupidity ;)

Les Pedals, Merc and mjm0 like this.
  5. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    If your not playing the 335 much and feel the broadkaster is a better fit then I say go fro it, especially if you are going to end up better off financially on the deal.

Les Pedals and Merc like this.
  6. Glaw

Glaw Electromatic

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    To get a guitar you have to give one up? That’s no fun :(

7. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

I have a Broadkaster Jr with the same Full'Tron pickups. I think you'll love it.

8. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    Yes.. theirs been 6 new ones in the last year and finally I am uncomfortable with the number. I want to slim the collection so I play each more.

Well.. this Ltd Edition has 2 Broadtrons. But I am a more rock-orientated player, so think they will be fine.

9. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

I didn't know this version has Broadtrons. I have a G6228 with the new Broadtrons and they are also great. Their sound is very sensitive to height adjustments; you may want to fiddle around with them a bit.

Merc and Mr Swisher like this.
  10. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    Yes it's confused me a little bit and it's easy to miss. But it would appear that the standards had Full'Trons. The Ltd Edition Shell Pink version (of which I've traced 3) have a BT in the neck and a FT in the bridge. Then the LTD editon Sonic Blue (also traced 3 of them) have 2 BTs.

It's like Gretsch are trying to confuse people :)

Merc and new6659 like this.
  11. malc

malc Electromatic

Jun 10, 2020
    Lincoln
    I bought the Broadkaster Junior players edition, I think they called it. Mail order during lockdown. Guitar looked great when I unpacked it from the case. I really didn't like the sound of the Fulltron pickup at the bridge so I bought a HS for that position, it's much better. Fulltrons are hotter but sacrifice tone for output. I don't play with distortion/breakup or whatever it's called but the tone was not Gretsch. The action was far higher than I would have liked. Lowering it turned up a whole load of problems, really bad fretting, very amateur build, not what you expect for over 2K sterling. Nut was so badly cut had to have it changed to bone. still won't stay in tune with string pulls, forget trying to use the Bigsby. Temperature changes affects the wood badly, so no chance of gigging with it, which I really wanted to do. Cosmetic finish is perfect and that is its only saving grace. But what's the point when the guitar is a dog. I am not saying yours is going to be the absolute dog that mine is. I am still persevering with it but I can't see an end to it. A well know english luthier said it was pretty crappy and even more colourful language when he experienced the effects of temperature changes upon the woods; he and I both agreed that my electromatic 6120 style was a far better guitar. I like to play 9-42 Elixir strings, but no matter how carefully you put them on and take your time stretching evenly from string-thru Bigsby bar to locking machine head, it's a no hoper. Had a string butler fitted, a surprisingly big improvement, but still not good enough to gig. I am astounded that a Japanese Gretsch should ever get shipped in that state. Had the shops been open, I would have tried it and just ditched it as not for me. I know I would never swap a Memphis made 335 for a Broadkaster. Maybe the full size one is different and was actually played by someone who knew what they were doing musically, before sticking it in the case for shipping. I often wonder if Gretsch have thought the trade name of 'GRETSCH' was enough to pass off Japanese made guitars totally bereft of even a modicum of quality control. There is a distinct difference between my 1959 Anniversary and the guitars that have Gretsch on the headstock today. I hope the guitar you are looking at is better than my experience with the latest incarnation.

Mr Swisher likes this.
  12. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Not that I doubt your experience, but that’s the first I’ve heard like that on a Japanese Gretsch. I’ve owned five Pro Gretsch guitars from Japan and had the exact opposite experience. Personally though, I would judge each guitar on its own though and not where it was made. Although Gibson has likely been known for more quality issues overall than a Gretsch.

Mr Swisher and new6659 like this.
  13. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I’ve done it lots of time. Really, it’s no big deal unless you’re a collector or you’re losing one that’s got the mojo. But then you likely wouldn’t be letting it go if you felt it was the one anyway. I’ll take quality and guitars I feel connected to over quantity any day.

14. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    Yes, I just sold the 335 (2 days ago) to make a new purchase happen. Only had it 6 months and it's a great guitar. It just hasn't inspired me the way I thought it would. It sits in the rack more than the others.

I figure it's better to get out of it now whilst UK supplies are low.. hence I made some money on it.

Now just got to make a final decision on the Broadkaster.. or if I go for something else.

Merc likes this.
  15. malc

malc Electromatic

Jun 10, 2020
    Lincoln
    My criticism of my guitar is not particularly related to where it was made. Other than the fact that this Japanese edition was far more expensive and yet, could not have been under any sort of quality control before it was shipped. As I said, the finish was immaculate and could not be faulted, but the guitar was unplayable. The onus should firmly lie with Gretsch. I am pleased that you are happy with yours, but from what I have experienced I think you may have been more than lucky. My first good guitar was a Gretsch Anniversary, which I purchased new in 1959 for £157.10.0 (150 guineas) It is now strung 09-42 with a .15 third and steadfastly remains in tune. The golden rule has got to be try before you buy. Unfortunately I was unable to do that (or I should have waited). So, I am presuming that some manufacturing plants have quality control and some do not. I definitely think that Gretsch should keep an eye on the product that bears their name.

16. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    Name and shame the shop that was bad, it will save me finding out when I buy my first Gretsch.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.