New G5422G-12 String

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by guitarguy68, Oct 14, 2020.

1. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    I have been learning Southern Nights by Glenn Campbell, it sounds great on the 12 string. That Jerry Reed turn around is pretty slick once you get the hang of it. Any of the oldies that I play just sound great on it.

mrfixitmi, JC higgy and ZackyDog like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Same here ;)

Randy99CL and mrfixitmi like this.
  3. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    You’re welcome!!

4. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Count us in too, the G5422-12 is a deal, they sound and play wonderful. We are still in awe over the price, play-ability and sound.

thunder58, GlenP and ZackyDog like this.
  5. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    @mrfixitmi and @Scamp .... just received word ... An Ovation , Melissa Ethridge Signature I was hoping to buy has become available as the other buyer backed out . It's a 2 hr drive for me but may be well worth it . Girl bought it as a gift for someone and that person turned it down :eek: , could you image turning a gift like that down . She bought it like 2 months ago for $1600 and is selling at $1100 . Hopefully she'll take a $100 off for my gas ....fingers crossed

6. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Wow, best of luck, I really hope it works out for you!!! And pics...

mrfixitmi and thunder58 like this.
  7. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Good luck, Rich!

8. Scamp

Scamp Electromatic

Feb 22, 2018
    California
    Joe Walsh had a white Gretsch acoustic 12 string he played when he and his wife were sitting on the couch singing Happy Birthday to Ringo.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  9. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Nice finish and guitar. Congrats and enjoy(!) It kind of looks like an aged Country Gent Walnut finish, if that makes any sense.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020 at 5:11 AM
  10. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Best of luck, we have a double neck (6-string/12 string) Ovation Celebrity that if not for the weight and size, it would be another "Go To" 12-string. We bought it used for my son when he was playing in Pit crew Phantom of the Opera. We had to reset the bridge on the 12-string side in order to use both necks, but playing with the quick key changes did not allow for capo repositioning in time so both necks were used. That Ovation 12 seemed to cut through the full Orchestration and can be heard. Gretsch has that Gretsch sound, the same can be said for that Ovation 12 string, nothing sounds close. Hopefully this will work out for you.

ZackyDog and thunder58 like this.
  11. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Thanks , it's looking better and better for my road trip on the 31st

12. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, very nice. Love the sound of a 12-string. Playing it...not so much. :)

13. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Trick or treat? :D

thunder58 likes this.
  14. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    oh you bet ;)

15. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    My apologies @guitarguy68 , I don't mean to steal the thread but this is what I'm chasing after ......... ( @Scamp @mrfixitmi , I'm just bustin' here )

Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 6.48.50 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 6.49.30 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 6.49.16 PM.png

new6659, GlenP and audept like this.
  16. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Certainly worth the chase and the road trip.
    I am sure that you are already planning on using a humidipak. The tops on both of our Ovations are perfect. No cracks, no splits, no sinking. I attribute it to the Humidipaks, the polymer bowl doesn't shrink or stretch, but the top still wants to move. When the sales rep approached us about 16 years ago with the Humidipak system, he bet me that if I used the system as instructed, if the top had any cracks, crevices, or bows in 10 years, he would pay me $1,000. Knowing that this can be an issue with Ovations, I was planning on collecting.
    I probably spent $350 over the ten years, for replacement packs, but never had any issues with my Ovations. With the temperature and humidity fluctuations in Michigan, I thought that I would be collecting my $1,000. Never did, just ended up with Ovation tops that still look great.

You have great taste in 12 string guitars!

thunder58 likes this.
  17. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    IMG_1461.JPG

I showed this pic to my wife and she said "oh, that's nice. You should get one." uhhhhh... Thanks honey! Best wife, ever.

Congrats on the new guitar.

radd likes this.
  18. Shroudy

Shroudy Electromatic

Mar 13, 2019
    The Bronx
    That's so pretty it made me cry. I've got a couple of 12 string guitars. It would be hard to justify buying another one right now. But man, you're killing me with those pictures.

GlenP likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.