New G5422G-12 String

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by guitarguy68, Oct 14, 2020.

1. guitarguy68

guitarguy68 Electromatic

Apr 4, 2019
    Central Ohio
    I received one of these in the Walnut stain the other day and looked it over carefully. It was purchased from Sweetwater and not only did I get a great deal, I was very happy to see that it was very securely and safely packaged. The guitar was literally flawless in the construction and the finish. The gold hardware against the finish color is very attractive. Unplugged, it resonates so well with a clarity I don't remember in any other 12 that I've owned. I had the folks at Sweetwater put on a set of Elixir (10's) strings and do a setup before it was shipped. I've owned many 12 string guitars, but this is by far the easiest fingering and playing one that I can remember in 55 years of playing. Having said that, I am going to try a set of flatwound 9's on this guitar when I swap in the TV Jones Classics pickups, soon.

IMG_1461.JPG IMG_1413.JPG IMG_1448.JPG

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    Ricochet, mrfixitmi, Jeff67 and 19 others like this.
  2. toddfan

toddfan Synchromatic

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    That's pretty and I bet it sounds GREAT....Congrats!

mrfixitmi likes this.
  3. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Congrats! That's a beautiful guitar, and IMHO, everyone needs a 12-string. It's just such a cool sound.

mrfixitmi and Telechamp like this.
  4. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Congratulations!
    A 5422-12 is on my secret GAS list. ;)

mrfixitmi likes this.
  5. SAguitar

SAguitar Gretschie

Jan 17, 2020
    Oregon
    Wow, that is something special. Congratulations!

6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Congratulations @guitarguy68 , that's a beautiful guitar . As many know , I'm a 12 string freak myself . I have the same guitar in blonde as it was a FSR . I also have a Martin D12-28 . And as I type I have my eye on another 12 to add to the heard ......lets just say a a fan of Melissa Ethridge . Here's some photo's . I'll keep them small as I don't want to take away from your thread . Congratulations again and enjoy the jangle .....( just click on the photo's )

Attached Files:

mrfixitmi, GlenP and Waxhead like this.
  7. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats GG!

That's a lovely lookin' geet sir!:cool:

8. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    My black one is what got me started on buying Gretsch guitars. I agree it is an easy to play 12-string, better than my Martin or Gibson. Enjoy playing her, I sure enjoy mine.

GlenP likes this.
  9. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Let me chime in here and say conGRETSCHulations.

I walked into a local music store, not looking for anything in particular, and tried one of those out from the wall of Gretsches, and little did I know at the time, that was going to be my next guitar. Later, I actually had a Fairlane Blue G5420 on my radar, but when I saw the 4th of July sale at GC for the natural finish FSR 12-string, I grabbed it. Stock pickups are fine, I imagine the TV Jones will be even better. You might also consider a jack plate while you are at it.

Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 2.03.02 PM.png

PS - my other 12-string is a jumbo maple acoustic single-cut Breedlove, and it stays in tune like no other guitar I have ever seen, I keep it tuned to standard pitch. Back then, Breedlove used to factory install the JLD bridge truss on all their guitars. That can be retro-fitted on any guitar to repair a bowed soundboard, but purists may argue, as they often do, that it kills tone. I say, you sound better when you are in tune, and any sacrifice in tone is inaudible. Maybe you wouldn't install one in a WWII-era Martin, sure.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-too...-job/tools-for-bridges/jld-bridge-doctor.html

I am sure that the internal bracing of the top to the back on the Gretsch guitar helps with that also. Welcome to the club!

10. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Just beautiful! Congrats!

11. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Yes, really beautiful!! I love that stain, looks just as good on my G2622 WS.

I was cruisin' YT for videos and found this one. It's great that just anyone can make a video and this one actually made me chuckle. Not putting her down, I wondered at her choice of song until I saw all the adoration on the wall behind her.

mrfixitmi and thunder58 like this.
  12. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Wow...Some beautiful 12 strings in this thread.

I haven’t had a 12 string in decades but I researched them awhile back thinking I would buy one and those Gretschs the OP, GlenP and our new mod have came up as my top choice.

Congratulations @guitarguy68

GlenP likes this.
  13. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Nice instrument there, GuitarGuy. I've been gigging a 5422-12 since they first came about 5 or 6 years ago and have nothing but praise for the guitar. I even have the original pickups still in and I think they sound amazing with 12 ringing strings. The only mod to it is to have a new nut cut - in reverse. That way the first string hit by the pick is the E, not the octave E. Like a Ric. It makes a difference when you have to play those rare Beatles or Byrds solos. Best of all, it's cheap to have a luthier do it.

Congrats on an excellent guitar!

mrfixitmi, audept and GlenP like this.
  14. Paulie26

Paulie26 Electromatic

Sep 7, 2020
    Ireland
    Beauty

15. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    @GlenP

That's a nice finish, Glen, and the videos I've seen, are equally impressive. Enjoy.

[​IMG]

GlenP likes this.
  16. guitarguy68

guitarguy68 Electromatic

Apr 4, 2019
    Central Ohio
    My original choice was a new one of these in amber, which I had ordered from another online store. You're not going to believe the following, neither did I.
    First of all, the guitar came in one box, buried in bubblewrap. I'm used to getting a new guitar triple-boxed. There was nothing included. I'm used to getting the OK card, truss rod adjustment wrench, manual, etc.
    Next, it had marks on the side of the neck, at the peghead, where it had been hanging for who knows how long.
    Then, every piece of the gold hardware from tuning keys to the tailpiece was smeared and covered in fingerprints.
    Lastly, right where the neck goes into the body, there was a 1/2 inch crack.
    Since these guitars were from a limited run (was it 2016-2018) I figure this was hanging in a store, used and abused by everyone, before it was shipped to me. I had thought it would be coming from a warehouse.
    Needless to say, I immediately sent it back, and ordered my present walnut beauty from Sweetwater. I ordered the walnut finish, since the amber guitars were out of production. I'm really glad I got this finish. Still, after one week I can't put it away. It sits where I pass by it many times a day. I pick it up, and play a couple ringing, resonant chords and pat myself on the back.

thunder58 likes this.
  17. Scamp

Scamp Electromatic

Feb 22, 2018
    California
    I've got one in black. I love 12 strings always have, must be a John Denver Melisa Etheridge thing. There is just something about the jangle of a 12 string. I currently have the Gretsch and a Fender strat 12 string, an Ovation TX 12, a 1975 Ovation Deacon 12 (profile picture) and an Epiphone double neck. I had a Breedlove 12 string but sold it to my neighbor and a Dean electric 12 string and also sold it to another neighbor
    Hope you enjoy your new baby..

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020 at 10:12 AM
    mrfixitmi and thunder58 like this.
  18. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    Very nice!....I've never played an electric 12 string.....I may have to remedy that! ;-)

thunder58 likes this.
  19. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Go for it ..........

20. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    You're a bad influence ;-)

thunder58 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.