Join Gretsch-Talk Today

New G540T vs OLD G5420T Scale difference?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by dreamingGretsch, Feb 15, 2017.

1. dreamingGretsch

dreamingGretsch Gretschie

Oct 12, 2010
    Philippines
    Did the newer G5420T guitars got an upgrade with a 25.5 scale?

I remember looking at the specs on my G5420 when I was buying it new, and it was not 25.5.

Can someone confirm this?

2. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Interesting. It does say 25.5 on places like the Gretsch site :p and Sweetwater.
    Streetsounds list it as 24.6.

I've never seen one in the flesh, but if it had been changed to long scale we would have heard a lot more about it.

Somebody grab a tape measure!

3. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Philippines
    Im really interested, because I'm really GAS'ing for the new ones. Plastic surrounds, bound headstock, neo-classical inlays, etc. I like the newer ones better! aesthetically LOL

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. englishman

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
  6. GG Sean

GG Sean Electromatic

Jul 20, 2016
    Chesterfield, Michigan
    The 2013 and 2015 catalogs on the Gretsch site list it as 24.5 and this years online does show 25.5. Unless on or the other is a typo I would assume a change. Someone with access to both years will have to verify to be sure. Unless someone has a source at Gretsch that can tell us.

7. GG Sean

GG Sean Electromatic

Jul 20, 2016
    Chesterfield, Michigan
    You can see the older catalogs under the support tab on the website.

8. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Both the same i think..

Henry and BorderRadio like this.
  9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, I own both old and new models, 25.5" is wrong, it's a typo. Typical of FMIC...

Henry likes this.
  10. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Philippines
    alright. thanks guys. whew. I thought this would be the cheapest way to have a white falcon. I would love to have 25.5 scale gretsch.. so it be the same with my tele and strat in terms of snap and tightness

11. englishman

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    You can pick up a 25.5 Tennessee Rose 6119 pre-2016 for not much more than the 5420 goes for. I offered mine on the forum forever for $1000.

Henry likes this.
  12. adauria

adauria Electromatic

Dec 22, 2016
    Wake Forest, NC
    I asked Gretsch about this for my 2016 5420. They confirmed that it is 24.6" and not 25.5", despite what the website says. From the email I got back from Gretsch support:

Model Name: G5420TG Electromatic Hollow Body Single-Cut
    Model Number: 2505821506, 2505811544
    Category: Hollow Body Guitars
    Body Style: Single Cutaway
    Scale Length: 24.6" (625mm)
    Top: 5-Ply Arched Laminated Maple
    Bracing: Parallel Tone-Bars with Sound Post
    Back: Laminated Maple
    Neck: Maple, “U” Shape
    Width at Nut: Graph Tech® NuBone™, 1.6875” (43 mm)
    Fretboard: Rosewood, 12” (305 mm)
    No. Of Frets: 22, Medium Jumbo
    Bridge: Secured Rosewood Based Adjusto-MaticTM Bridge

But also, I use 11's on it (which is what they install at the factory, per the same email). I can play them as easily as the 10s on my other guitars (some 25.5, some 24.75), so that's more evidence in favor of 24.6"

-Andrew

13. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Philippines
    I really want to upgrade from my 5420! Im planning to sell it and get a pro line. But I live in the Philippines, and shipping isnt what it used to be since its a rosewood fretboard, so Im not sure what will happen if I ever buy from the US.

14. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Philippines
    Thanks for this Andrew! I have 11's on all my guitars. It feels somewhat the same, but its more snappier/tighter with my strat and tele.

15. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
  16. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Definitely, yes, but it's a major upgrade in my opinion, because the changes are not only aesthetical ... smaller heastock & much better nut will give much better tuning stability and better electronics including treble bleed are also worth mentioning.

Regarding the Rosewood Cites topic I would recommend to contact your local civil service and ask how it is handled in your country.

17. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    ...the only thing I miss on my 2015 5420 factory special is the treble bleed (stock TV Jones, thumbnails and original case). It`s a real twang box and finished beautifully, even the Delrin nut is perfect.

18. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Don't dorget, that YOUR G5420 is pretty different from the standard pre-2016 model ... including the nut, right?

19. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    The differences are Pkups, Thumbnails, secured bridge and the case. Same nut, same hardware, same pots (stock).

Aymara likes this.
  20. adauria

adauria Electromatic

Dec 22, 2016
    Wake Forest, NC
    The stock nut wouldn't be Delrin, though. I actually had a Delrin nut made for my 5420, but the stock nut should be Tusq for the last few years, I believe.

-Andrew

21. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I thought, the pre-2016 models had plastic nuts?