New G5260T Jet Baritone

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Cape Cod Sam, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Cape Cod Sam

Cape Cod Sam Electromatic

Sep 30, 2020
    Cape Cod, MA, USA
    Hi folks, I'm new to the forum and new to Gretsch, with my recent acquisition of a Jet Baritone. I'm primarily a bass player, though I've been playing both it and guitar since about 1972.

So far I'm really digging the new axe, and am finding it a nice way to bring melody down into a lower range. It seems to have come with D'Addario strings, and with the stock pickups it's surprisingly bright, though nowhere near as twinkly as my Strat (American Std, gold Lace Sensor p/us), at the same amp settings. Ringing tones, somber minor keys, everything I was hoping for.

I was a bit surprised to see a few things. though: the front pickup was loose upon arrival, but easily fixed. The neck is flat as a pancake, but I'm getting string/fret buzz on the low B and D open strings (B-E-A-D-F#-B tuning) at the first fret. I' tried raising the strings, but went a full turn on the adjusters and it had no effect on the buzz. Haven't measured the string height yet, but it's reasonable, not super low. I'm thinking the nut might be cut a bit deep (at least for these strings), as the other strings don't buzz on the first fret. If anyone has any suggestions on this I'd love to hear them, because I hate replacing nuts and may just live with it for a while.

I got the guitar from AMS, fwiw, and chose the silver one with the Bigsby because I've never owned a Bigsby before, but do have a black bass, so there was clearly a hole to fill. :)

Tadhg, Hammerhead, Shroudy and 2 others like this.
  2. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    Congratulations! I've always fancied a baritone. If I was getting one, I'd get a Gretsch one. Enjoy once the teething problems are sorted.

Cape Cod Sam likes this.
  3. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    Congretschulations!

The baritones look great so we really need some pics!!

Armygirl likes this.
  4. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats Sam, and welcome to GT!

Armygirl likes this.
  5. xtcclassic

xtcclassic Gretschie

Jan 9, 2019
    Missouri
    If the neck is flat as a pancake, it may be TOO straight. Try loosening the truss Rod 1/4 to 1/2 turn and see if that helps.

Tele295, capnhiho, new6659 and 2 others like this.
  6. Cape Cod Sam

Sep 30, 2020
    Cape Cod, MA, USA
    I just came here to update this and say that. It did look a little too straight, so I loosened it, and the problem seems to have gone away. It only looked like it was rattling on the 1st fret. Thanks for the thought!

Armygirl and Tele295 like this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome to the forum .and congrats on the guitar

8. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    We still need pics of this epic Baritone! :D

9. Cape Cod Sam

Sep 30, 2020
    Cape Cod, MA, USA
    Crummy photo I shot yesterday, showing that I'm too lazy to set up a backdrop, lol. She sounds great through the little Marshall, a MG30FX I bought at the same time as the guitar.

She's playing flawlessly now that I've taken time to really set her up. Very sweet indeed!

Gretsch and Marshall full (576x768).jpg

The glamour shot:

Gretsch and Marshall closeup (768x576).jpg

jfassett, Tadhg, new6659 and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.