New Filter'trons FT-67 Filter’Tron™

NJDevil

Country Gent
Jul 9, 2014
Commack, NY
I have the new Tenny with them in it - they chime, have a fat bottom and take gain really well.
For context, and I know most either laugh at or detest this question (or both) but..... what other pickup would you compare them to?

Fat bottom? Does that mean leaning towards what many think as LP "woofy", or..... more of a thickened tone that brings/accentuates a thick/dynamic tone in the neck-only position? Maybe expands the tone in bridge-only? .....Being able to twang while not sounding thin for solo work.

What gain do they best take? Example: Early '60s Brown amps to just get the "edge of breakup tone", Breakup up and some distortion? I guess an expanded description with the best place to hear the pickups in a guitar with bit of playing to really showcase the pickup's attributes.

grey_wulf

Electromatic
May 22, 2021
United States
For context, and I know most either laugh at or detest this question (or both) but..... what other pickup would you compare them to?

Fat bottom? Does that mean leaning towards what many think as LP "woofy", or..... more of a thickened tone that brings/accentuates a thick/dynamic tone in the neck-only position? Maybe expands the tone in bridge-only? .....Being able to twang while not sounding thin for solo work.

What gain do they best take? Example: Early '60s Brown amps to just get the "edge of breakup tone", Breakup up and some distortion? I guess an expanded description with the best place to hear the pickups in a guitar with bit of playing to really showcase the pickup's attributes.
Some of it can be attributed to the guitar they are in, but of the 5 different TV Jones pickups I have they sit in between a setzer sig and powertron. When I say something handles gain well I’m speaking in the context of modded marshall.

NJDevil

Country Gent
Jul 9, 2014
Commack, NY
Some of it can be attributed to the guitar they are in, but of the 5 different TV Jones pickups I have they sit in between a setzer sig and powertron. When I say something handles gain well I’m speaking in the context of modded marshall.
How about played clean? There are a ton of TV Jones options so is there a measurable difference that makes it stand out from the pack?

For context: I like what I call "the bluesy warmth" of blacktop Filtertrons in the neck only position. I'd actually love try them out in a semi-hollow or LP-type guitar. Very different than Hilos or TV Jones Classics. From someone "in the know", I'm really interested in your perspective. Thanks in advance!!

grey_wulf

Electromatic
May 22, 2021
United States
How about played clean? There are a ton of TV Jones options so is there a measurable difference that makes it stand out from the pack?

For context: I like what I call "the bluesy warmth" of blacktop Filtertrons in the neck only position. I'd actually love try them out in a semi-hollow or LP-type guitar. Very different than Hilos or TV Jones Classics. From someone "in the know", I'm really interested in your perspective. Thanks in advance!!
This is entirely unscientific, but I just set one of my amps as clean as possible and the ft-67 sounds like the guitar does acoustically with a bit more presence. The ft-67 is barely wax potted if at all and captures the pick/fingernail attack and the wolf tones from behind the bridge. I also took some resistance readings (in circuit) and the bridge is about 5.4k and the neck is 4.5k

twangmanster

Gretschie
Dec 29, 2021
Long Island
I'm very interested in this question also because I'm considering the PE Nashville with the 'Trons. I tried the PE with the Gretsch Dynasonics and didn't really like it. They seemed kind of weak to me. No wand. through a Deluxe Reverb.

Coby

Electromatic
Feb 21, 2019
Canada
I was going to start another thread about these but though I’d just add to this one.

Me too I’m curious about the newish FT67 pickups. It’s actually hard to find a review of some sort about these pickups and I was wondering why that is?

Anyone would recommend them? Any love at all?
Cheers

Latest posts