New!! Fender Tone Master Super Reverb announced!!!

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Trash Kidd, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Have you considered a low weight, lunch box sized tube amp.
    There's plenty of great one's around far better than any TM or SS amp imo.
    And used they're about same price as a new TM :)

Axis39 likes this.
  2. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Beaumont, CA
    Part of the magic of a Super and of a Bassman are those 4 10's.

Without the 4 10's? I kinda lose interest in it being a Bassman. At that point, it's a Vibrolux to me.... At least if it's a blackface amp. If it's a tweed, I don't know what it is, because that never got made. The 5F4 Super is a different circuit and sounds different than the Bassman.

Builders have been trying to imitate that feel, the sag and bloom for a while now. The Blues Cubes are pretty good with this. They feel a lot like a tube amp. The Tonemasters are good at the feel as well. I don't think either of them has really achieved good bloom yet, but I haven't spent enough time in isolation with either to say for sure.

Instead, I put neo speakers in my Twin. So, now I have 80 watts of tweed gloriousness in a 46 lb package. My Bassman weighs mid 40 lbs, too. This is less than I huck around all day long at work. It's an easy weight for me... now. But, as I've said, I have a bad back, things are starting to feel heavier than they used to... LOL

I had an Orange Terror for a little while, but didn't have a good cab, and didn't have the right speakers... Plus, ti was mighty dirty. I have a little Hotone Purple Wind, but I haven't fallen in love with it's sound either... I keep it in my workshop for fooling around, but admittedly, rarely play it.

I am not opposed to such a solution. But, I'd still want a 4x10 cabinet to go with a Bassman style amp, or a 2x12 to go with a Twin style head. To get 45 watts or 80 watts, in a tube package, you still need heavy transformers. So, while you may split the package into two, total, the weight is more and it means an additional trip when loading in or out.

I own a 5e3, which is kinda my grab and go box. Not sure how much it weighs, but it's barely anything. But, for big gigs, the 5e3 can't always keep up. I also own a Marshal Origin 20, another great grab and go combo for me. It has the advantage of having a D/I out which means it can work quite well for all kinds of gigs.

The biggest problem I have with small amps is I have been spoiled by my Twin. It is the greatest amp of all time (IME of course). It has a certain tone and response. It is my sound. The Bassman was the sound I heard in my head for years before buying it. The Twin takes it to the next level. Haven't found ANYTHING that comes close.

I'm not looking for a new amp. I have no dough in the gear fund for a new amp (not that's ever really stopped me before! LOL). The Tonemaster amps are a solution for a problem I don't really have yet. But, I do understand the problems these address. I like where these kinds of amps are going, the Blues Cubes, these Tonemasters, etc.

I am impressed with the new Super. It sounds a lot like a Super to me. It feels a lot like a tube amp as well. The additional features of D/I out, silent play, attenuation, etc all make it a very real life useable amp. Although, the big 4x10 form factor may be a limiter for some....

Waxhead likes this.
  3. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Ok all depends on how much weight you're comfortable with.

46 pounds is too much for me when I can sound better with a head and cab weighing 30 in total. That's either a Mesa TA-15 or Mark V 25 and a 1x12 cab in each hand = 1 trip to the car. Don't need pedals with either amp either.

The Super TM is too big and awkward to carry easily for me.
    If I wanted extra sound spread on stage I'd rather use a 2x12 cab instead of a 1x12. Or even better would be both on each side :)

4. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Beaumont, CA
    As my mother used to say, 'That's why they make chocolate AND vanilla'. LOL

Your Mesas are very different from my old Mesa, a Mk IV combo.... that thing was a stupid boat anchor 85 lbs for a 1x12? Crazy!

The biggest issue for me on any of these topics is that I have an amp that is tonal nirvana to me, my '58 Twin. I've not found an amp that comes close to it. Tube, solid state, modeling, etc. Never found anything. Granted, I have not really begun to scratch the surface of gear available out there. But, what it really means is that something has to be spectacular to make me even begin to turn my head. The only amp I like almost as much is my Bassman Reissue.

I love that Fender did a Super Reverb. And, I was really impressed with how well they did without tubes. That's why I say, if they make a Bassman, I will probably be sorely tempted. I love my tweed Bassman a lot. It's a great sounding amp.... If I could score one that weighed in under 40 lbs? (which I think might possible with these TM amps). I think that would quickly become my gigging amp. If I got along with Blackface Tone, the Super would probably be sitting here, next to the couch, now!

Waxhead likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.