New!! Fender Tone Master Super Reverb announced!!!

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Trash Kidd, Jul 8, 2021.

1. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Firenze, Italy
    Crazy 70's stuff, when bands had roadies and played open air. ;)

Robbie likes this.
  2. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I owned a Super Reverb for many years and while it was a solid amp it was one of my least favorite of the few vintage Fender amps I’ve owned.

I’m going to sit back and watch until they go through their catalog enough that they decide they’re ready to launch the all-in-one Fender model.

And then I’ll be tempted but will remember that nothing will ever sound as good as a tube amp.

3. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    This concept turns me on. I love the Tone Master DR and to think they're are applying that to the magnificent Super Reverb gets me a goosebumpy. Better yet, GREAT speakers (Jensen P10R) and a real spring reverb at 39 lbs? I've owned an early SR silverface for several years and the sound is wonderful but frankly, it's never been gigged because it's simply too damn heavy for this old dude. I'm itching to try it.

pmac11, Trash Kidd and Robbie like this.
  4. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    You bet. I had a Twin at the same time, the Twin was my small amp. I was much younger.

5. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    A head would be almost irresistible.

Maybe putting it in a custom cabinet.

They should use the lightest Birch.

Ricochet likes this.
  6. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I've never played a Super Reverb amp but wondering if it sounds significantly different from a standard Deluxe Reverb. Most of these early Fender amps are very samey tone wise.
    Is it just a higher wattage Deluxe Reverb :)

7. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    It may just be the stock speakers were uninspiring? It was a very boring sounding amp for me. I loved the reverb but it just didn’t have the magic.

8. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Might be a while. Everybody seems to review these are super close to the full tube version. I read somewhere it’s because Fender’s concentrating only on one each for the processing power. Of course I t could be a ploy to simply sell more amps. Regardless, so far everyone seems to dig them.

9. TubeLife

TubeLife Synchromatic

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Similar circuits but really sound and feel different from each other. Both amps are the famous AB763 but with minor differences. The super reverb has the ability to dial in more mids than the deluxe. The Super also has a larger transformer, 6L6’s vs 6v6’s, and most importantly, 4x10 @ 2ohm vs 1x12 @ 8ohm. I own a Hand wired super reverb and it’s glorious from 2-10 on the volume knob.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    ruger9 and Waxhead like this.
  10. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    To expand (slightly) Tube Life’s comment, the Super Reverb has a midrange control and the tone stack also has a different cap value for midrange, which allows the midrange control to exceed the fixed midrange setting of the Deluxe Reverb.

The feeling is completely different than a standard Deluxe Reverb. Interestingly, the ‘68 Custom Deluxe Reverb has a similar cap value for fixed midrange setting of the Custom channel. The sound strikes me as somewhere between a Brownface and a Blackface Fender. Add the 4x10” speaker setup and the Super Reverb is a midrange machine.

Waxhead, TubeLife and ruger9 like this.
  11. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    In the late '60s the SR seemed to be the Fender to own around town, I saw them on stages all the time. My older brother bought one as his first good gig amp and a few years later my best friend did the same.
    I thought they sounded good but never got to compare them to the smaller amps.

When I ran sound and roadied in the '80s I was very glad when two of the guitarists swapped their SRs for Peaveys. Besides being much lighter, they turned down the stage volume and gave me more control with the main PA.
    And BTW, you'd be stupid to carry those things every night. We had a 2-wheel dolly and I'd stack both and not even break a sweat.

I want to hear this new SR but am perfectly happy with my Mustang GTX100 for less than half the price.

And last year there was a Fender Super Six (right name?) on CL. I'd never seen one before and was stunned, wow 6-10s and lots of power. Really tall and impressive, I can't remember exactly but the selling price wasn't outrageous, I thought it would be cool to buy just to have it sitting in my living room.
    OK found it: Fender Super Six Reverb Amplifier >> Vintage Guitar and Bass

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    blueruins likes this.
  12. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Firenze, Italy
    I’ve owned a ‘65 Super Reverb for a while. Although I couldn’t really compare it with a Deluxe (that I never owned) I guess that the bigger difference should be sound diffusion (4 speakers against 1) and a different “flavor” of growl (can’t call it distortion) similar to a Bassman but a lot more ballsy and midrange, probably due, like other said, to a mid control along with the 10”. Mine had his sweet spot with volume at 4, but it was flipping loud at a point that I remember always using an overdrive up front to have a bit of grind on live action. Over 5 or 6 with volume it was all “bad growl”, but again you couldn’t really tell as the volume was killing. It’s true that my p90s didn’t like it but my ceramic Filtertrons were a lot better with it than any other amp. Also the minihums on a Riviera I had at the time liked it, but it was really difficult to control the feedback. I regretted not having a single coils equipped guitar then ‘cause a friend of mine used my SR in studio with a JV Squire and that was the best tone I ever heard out of that amp.
    All in all, I bought it because of his value on the vintage market (and I doubled up the money when I sold it, mostly due to the lira/euro currency change) but it never was the amp for me (it was gorgeous though). As for the weight… I gigged with two Bassman Reissue before and switched to two Hiwatt half stacks after that so I don’t remember it being an issue but it probably would be it in these days. :D

Waxhead, new6659 and Shadowy_Man like this.
  13. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Country Gent

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    I'll buy one. :D:p:)

I'll sell the Mesa Boogie to get it. Just for home use.

Robbie likes this.
  14. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I've actually heard it called "Fender's Marshall" (if you crank it up) lol. The most mids of any Fender blackface design, I believe.

Brian Krashpad and Shadowy_Man like this.
  15. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    I haven't played one either, but it has a bright switch and a mids control, both of which I think are very useful features.

Brian Krashpad and Waxhead like this.
  16. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    It’s a unique sound among Fenders. I see the Marshall idea as being valid.

The combination of a lower value for the midrange cap’, a midrange control, 4x10” speakers, coupled with the bright switch is unique. My Twin comes close; it has a closed back speaker cab’ with a 1x15” speaker, a midrange control and bright switches. It’s a rich sound.

Shadowy_Man and ruger9 like this.
  17. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Do you think the Twin
    1) has as much mids
    2) breaks up later
    Than the Super?

18. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Gretschie

Dec 29, 2020
    GNV FLA USA
    Or, one could just cut your '66 Super into two cabs.

Weight problem solved! ;)

[​IMG]

19. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Brilliant! How did you handle getting the cab ohms to match what the amp is putting out (2 ohms I believe?) so there isn't a mismatch?

Brian Krashpad likes this.
  20. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Gretschie

Dec 29, 2020
    GNV FLA USA
    I wish I could take credit for the dual-cabbing idea. It was like this when I got it. I had it recently re-furbed by my amp guy, as I finally decided to get the whole stable back in working order. I'm not sure how it was originally wired, when I got it, but he did mention that he re-did the bottom cab wiring (it'd come loose anyhow, so it might've originally been correct) so as to match what it needed to be. Unfortunately you've asked this question of someone who believes that the glow-y bits in amps are tiny Elves on their way to tiny Eldamar.

blueruins and sgarnett like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.