New Fender Chrissie Hynde Tele!

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by rze99, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Fun Chrissie story ...

We were at a bar in Richmond, Virginia one night in 1980 to see local favorites The Memphis Rockabilly Band.

The Pretenders, who at that time were just beginning their ascent to stardom, were in town to do a show at a much larger venue that same night. Apparently, it didn't go that well, sparsely attended, and after their gig Chrissie and the gang (which included James Honeyman-Scott) showed up at our bar, which was packed wall-to-wall for Memphis Rockabilly!

She proceeded to climb on a tabletop and loudly give everybody in the bar a hard time for being here instead of at her show, berating the crowd, the band, and anything else within earshot! This went on for about a half hour, then they left.

I thought it was hilarious, but in truth she was being pretty much a jerk. I guess sometimes you gotta blow off some steam and that was her way of handling it, but I'll tell ya - it was something else to witness!

40+ years later, it doesn't matter, I'm still a fan! But I'll probably never buy her Tele.

r0de0, MrWookiee, Waxhead and 6 others like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Waxhead, cowmoo, Gasee and 1 other person like this.
  3. SAguitar

SAguitar Gretschie

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    Hah! That's a good one Highroller! I guess we all have our off nights. It reminds me very little of a night when my band was playing in bar and Elvin Bishop was playing a concert down the road. We were hoping that Elvin and his band might wander in, but although we played loud and long until the usual 2am he never showed up.

Highroller likes this.
  4. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    I do like that Tele'. But not at that price.

Looking at the new Fender range it's clear the zoom meetings have stunted the creativity. "Paint every headstock" seems to be the main idea.. :D

radd likes this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've never understood why the fascination, tho. It's not like having their name on a guitar will make you sound like them. You're going to sound like you.

6. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    I love Telecasters... and I love blue finished guitars... and I love The Pretenders!! But that guitar does nothing for me. Weird!

Sabato and MotorCentaur like this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Exactly ...except my Melissa Etheridge tribute ... yes , I paid an outstanding fantastic price , and that was agreed by the Ovation / Adamas rep but ........ sometimes I sound like a girl anyway :p

r0de0, Cazza64, G5422T and 1 other person like this.
  8. aFriendbFrosty

aFriendbFrosty Gretschie

May 22, 2020
    West Coast
    Like the idea of a "Road Worn" tele with a rosewood fingerboard...
    but that price is a non-starter.

9. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Well it does have a lacquer finish.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  10. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I agree, buying a name, silly. But, I have purchased two signature Strat’s, not because of the name but because each artist had Fender make a strat that had features I liked and could not be found on another Strat. One, the Eric Clapton Strat, and the most recent a truly stunning Eric Johnson Strat. those two artists worked closely with Fender to develop those guitars.

It looks like this current artist model is nothing more than a name, very little else.

11. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Closest thing I have to a sig guitar is a '89 Peavey Generation 3, the same model that Steve "The Colonel" Cropper picked as his sig the next year. It just shows he's got good taste in guitars.

MrWookiee and radd like this.
  12. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Buy a Tele, then find an aftermarket mirror pickguard. Same thing, less money

13. dlew919

dlew919 Synchromatic

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    well, he probably fooled around and fell in love, right?

MrWookiee and Sabato like this.
  14. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    GreatGretsch, Scott and Chmason85 like this.
  15. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I see Fender are right on the ball when it comes to picking an artist that is current and relevant.

Waxhead, new6659, dlew919 and 2 others like this.
  16. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    I kinda like this...but all it's done is lead me to a 60s Original in Lake Placid blue..

s-l400.jpg
    53982-171258-fender-american-original-60s-tele-1.jpg

toddfan and MrWookiee like this.
  17. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Uhhh, here are some Setzer Signature players...

18. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    I agree with Slim. Playing a sig won't make you sound like that particular artist. That said, I have no Setzers(not that big a fan) but I do have several guitars with Chet's name on the pickguard and a coupla Duane Eddy models, mainly 'cause I like the particular features on these guitars. I ceertainly know for a fact that I'll never be able to play like Chet or Duane.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.