New falcon ?’s

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Steveme, Dec 4, 2021.

1. Steveme

Steveme Electromatic

Aug 21, 2021
    South carolina
    Hey all I’m really enjoying my new falcon and it came brand new in the box. I had a few questions about the bridge position.

it’s pinned but it looks crooked? Is that intended or a mistake?
    Also my E string is not centered over the pickup magnet?

my intonation I was able to set but I had to put the rollers almost all the way up on a few strings.

Should I be worried about either of these things. Just want to make sure I’m good while still in the return window.

[​IMG]

2. Jeremiah_S

Jeremiah_S Electromatic

Oct 19, 2018
    New England
    the bridge position, while seeming crooked to me as well, DOES seem to be consistent with the Fortus Falcon pictures on the GretschGuitars site. I believe this may be intentional. I've seen older Gibsons with angled bridges, so I think you're fine, based on the photos and me seeing angled bridges over the years.

That said, this may be an illusion caused by the contrast of the pickup ring, the ebony bridge, and the pickguard. It might just LOOK angled in the pics. Nothing is mentioned specifically about it, but a call to Gretsch at 1-800-856-9801 should set your mind at ease.

I'm seeing what you're seeing on the high E string but again, it looks like the promotional photos on the site. I'd ask them about that as well.

I just checked my g6136-RR and my G6136DSBK and neither one of them are directly over the pole pieces. The DSBK is off on the neck pickup's low E string and the RR is off on the bridge pickup's low E

3. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    The bridge is "slanted" for intonation.

Normal and nothing to worry about.

section2, pmac11 and new6659 like this.
  4. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Most Tunomatic bridges don’t have enough travel on the saddles to intonate correctly if the bridge is positioned straight(perpendicular rather). It becomes particularly apparent when using heavy string gauges.

If you’re OCD, you’ll need to find a Tunomatic with a wider saddle travel, plus unpin and move the wooden base which has to be reshaped for the arch of the guitar’s top, in order to optimise coupling(= sustain).

String spacing over the pickup poles looks fine. It doesn’t have to be dead center. The magnetic flux is actually stronger between poles.

5. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Synchromatic

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    That must be why the volume drops when I bend strings. The flux takes over...

freddyfingers and Ricochet like this.
  6. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    There is a capacitor mod. It takes time though.

7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    On all my two-piece-bridges the tunomatic is a bit crooked. That`s by design. Don`t worry.

ZackyDog likes this.
  8. Scamp

Scamp Gretschie

Feb 22, 2018
    SoCal
    While a lot of guitars have strings that aren't centered over the poles, they should be to get the best sound from you guitar.

9. Mellowcat

Mellowcat Gretschie

Aug 22, 2013
    VA
    It's normal. Although it's "pinned", the bridge base may have slots on the bottom that allow for some adjustment of the base. That's a great looking guitar.

10. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Looks right to me, as long as its intonated. I'm not into pinned bridges at all, for just this reason, fiddle rosin has worked fine for me for years and i just change strings three at a time. You should be able to un-pin it and move it straighter if it really bugs you but it might not intonate as well.

11. Drock2k1

Drock2k1 Synchromatic

Feb 26, 2013
    Indiana
    Looks like you got your answers. If it still bothers you just send me a PM and I can give you my address and rid you if it :)

Also, congrats on the new Falcon. Not too many of these in the wild yet.

Steveme and Jeremiah_S like this.
  12. Steveme

Steveme Electromatic

Aug 21, 2021
    South carolina
    Still having problems with this thing and im debating returning it before that window closes. I changed strings for the first time today to the same guage and im getting massive budge from the roller bridge saddles. Also when i play if I strum to close to bridge the top e string will pop out of the saddle. Even when im not playing if i just apply a little pressure it pops out.

13. Steveme

Steveme Electromatic

Aug 21, 2021
    South carolina
  14. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I have both a 6120 and a White Falcon. The stings don’t really line up perfectly over the bridge pickup poles on either guitar.
    They both sound incredible.

15. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I'd take it in before return time and ask then to fix it or allow a return, and extend the return window to confirm the fix. It may just be a bad bridge.

Steveme and Stefan87 like this.
  16. BoundandPurfled

BoundandPurfled Gretschie

Mar 22, 2012
    Oregon
    A flux capacitor mod?

Ricochet likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.