New Eman guitar underway, 350 meets 650 :)

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Sid Nitzerglobin, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Got the ball rolling on a new custom build from @englishman over the weekend & figured I'd start a thread. So far progress is limited to a lot of brainstorming, measurements, parts collection, running stuff by David, & wood selection & procurement but I'm excited so I'm sharing ;)

Basic idea is to marry the specs of the 350v63's neck & neck/string height to a thinline 650C-ish body incorporating a vibrato & gold foil pickups in the process. I've been using this pic of a 650 Dakota for aesthetic inspiration so far :) :
    [​IMG]

I wound up ordering the last of the wood I think David will need in the wee hours of the morning. First up a one piece roasted sugar pine body blank from American Specialty Hardwood:
    [​IMG]
    Happily they were able to thickness it down to 1.5" for me before shipping it this morning :)

I also got a quartersawn 2A roasted figured maple neck blank from them (stock photo):
    [​IMG]
    & an Indian ebony fretboard blank from LMII (also stock photo):
    [​IMG]
    Looking for 24 3/4" scale w/ 21 6230 frets radiused to 10" w/ a 1 5/8" width at the nut & 2 1/4" width at the end of the board & somewhere in the neighborhood of the '59 roundback profile or a slightly beefier version of the 350's.

Planning on single ply cream binding up to this flame black walnut drop top set from StewMac assuming it's big enough:
    [​IMG]
    It's looking like I might have most of the wood here by the weekend, gonna measure it all & see what it looks like wet w/ some naptha & get it all sent off to David.

I'm hoping finish will be pretty light tru-oil on the back of the body & neck w/ some more built up on the face & edges of the headstock & body. Only place I'm thinking I might want any added color is maybe on the pine to closer match up to the neck, but we'll see once I get some naptha on the pieces.

I'm thinking I'll cut a 650 guard & 350 truss rod cover from bakelite for it embellished w/ the Eman logo on the TRC. Also thinking I'll do a pared down 1 volume, 1 tone, & 3 way toggle (& maybe a blower switch) control set. Planning on a Ric style bakelite nut & either a set of Kluson Deluxes or 18:1 Sta-Tites for the tuners.

I'm still debating a bit about the bridge, tailpiece, & pickups to go w/ but there's a bit of time probably. The options I've got on hand that I'm considering are a Les Trem II, Mos-like roller bridge, & the DeArmond moustache gold foils from my '69 Rebel that's been waiting on a repair for a few years.

I think the Mos-like would probably gel the best w/ the Les Trem aesthetically & has worked well for me on a Dano The '66 I've monkeyed w/ but I'm also feeling a bit of a pull towards trying a vintage style Ric roller from Winfield Vintage:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've loved the sounds of the DeArmonds in that Rebel when it wasn't broken but I'm feeling I may wind up getting a set from Curtis Novak to put on this one as I've been curious to check some out, would like to get the Rebel back into service some time here, & I think they'd work better aesthetically for me:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Anyway, that's where this one is at presently. I'll share updates as available.

Thanks for taking a look! :D

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    Groutsch, Archtops, toddfan and 12 others like this.
  2. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    This is gonna be sahwheet!

englishman and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Cool project, can't wait to see build picture! Got my own Eman project going.

4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Gunna be a good one I just know it

5. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Wow, final product will be a joy to see here!

6. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks guys! I'm feeling good about its prospects for sure :)

The neck & body blanks from American Specialty Hardwood were delivered this morning. Murphy's Law dictated that the battery was dead on my nice camera when I unboxed them but I naptha'd an area on each & grabbed a couple quick snaps w/ the phone:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Measurements all check out, no perceptible warpage on casual inspection, & they seem fairly well rough sanded to me. The flame is seeming pretty intense & fairly uniform on the neck blank & it seems pretty darkly roasted. Can't see it in the pic but the grain seems nicely parallel as well. Loving the body blank too, only non-optimal bit is that the cool grain figure is offset to the far side in this pic by ~ 1/2" which would leave just about zero slop room for the cutting to get it centered in the body.

The top is scheduled to be here by Thursday, still no update from LMII on the fretboards but it's only been a couple days. Edit: LOL, no sooner did I post this update than I received a ship notification from LMII, they must have been listening :oops::D

I think I've firmed up my mentioned decision points through a few hours of shuffling pics around in Photoshop last night. Gonna go w/ the Les Trem, Mos-like, & the Novak gold foils (ordered last night). Still have a tug to try the Winfield bridge but I think the Mos-like will provide the best prospect for a cohesive hardware aesthetic by a fair margin for me & I figure I can always retrofit the Winfield w/o too much hassle down the road if the Mos-like turns out not to do it for me on this guitar.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    Archtops, loudnlousy, Waxhead and 4 others like this.
  7. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Looks like a great project, will be watching for updates.

8. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    The top set got here this afternoon & mother of god :eek::D:
    [​IMG]
    Plenty of room on this one. It's a bit thin (thinking maybe ~7/32") but seems pretty consistent & I'm actually excited about that if David can work w/ it. It seems more flamey than I was expecting from the pics but likely not too far over the top where it'll fight w/ the grain figure for me.

Also been working on a layout of the body in Photoshop & got my wiring diagram together for it last night. Gonna see about grabbing a tracing of the guard & truss rod cover tonight/tomorrow & might start pre-wiring the electronics over the weekend if I can get my basic guard template laid out by then.

9. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Watching with interest Sid :)

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  10. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Amazing so far!

11. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    At this rate, he'll have it done before he sends it to me!

12. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    LOL, I love a project :) Winds up real easy for me to get carried away when I get started.

Archtops and Waxhead like this.
  13. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Can't wait to see David's progress!

Sid Nitzerglobin and englishman like this.
  14. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Over the past couple days I grabbed tracings of the guard & truss rod cover & some shots of the bridge & tailpiece & continued working on my mockup of the body mostly trying to get my guard layout decided on at this point. Here's what I'm thinking after a couple hours of nudging stuff around once I had everything masked & sized up in Photoshop:
    [​IMG]

Couldn't resist spending too much money on a set of the black & silver Rogan cooker knobs that Rickysounds have up on ebay... :oops::
    [​IMG]

Also got a shipping notification for the pickups this evening :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  15. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Managed to grab half decent pics of the top set over the weekend & dropped it into my body layout .psd for a quick & dirty aesthetic mockup:
    [​IMG]
    I'm starting to once again second guess the cream binding plan a bit in favor of the idea of maybe going black w/ it that I thought I had put to bed last week, but so far I keep liking the prospects for this one more & more...

Just got back from dropping the wood off w/ FedEx en route to David as well:)

Edit: Updated w/ newly resized pickup risers & shots of the Novaks & knockoff Cooker knobs since I have them now ;)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    loudnlousy, Archtops, Waxhead and 3 others like this.
  16. toddfan

toddfan Country Gent

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    That's gonna be AMAZING!

17. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Cream binding please.

18. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

That looks like a very cool project, Sid, and I'll be looking forward to pics of the progress, too.

19. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
  20. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Mock up looks great . Can't wait for the finished product , gunna be sweet

Waxhead and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.