New Electromatic/setup question

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Anvilandforge, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Anvilandforge

Anvilandforge Newbie

Jul 3, 2020
    California
    Hey, new to the forum.

I received a new 5420T from Zzounds the other day, after debating between that and the new Rat Rod. Always wanted a Gretsch, and after some bad luck with Mexican Fenders I decided I’d take the plunge. Guitar is fantastic, and that’s saying a lot considering I am thee most OCD guy when it comes to guitars...

That being said, there is a pretty noticeable buzz only on the 3rd fret of the A string. Frets one and two are ok. I added some relief to the neck (bout a 1/4 turn) and that got rid of it, but the thing played so nice before I’m annoyed I had to sacrifice playability for ONE fret. I made a compromise after adjusting the bridge, and now that fret only buzzes when picked semi-aggressively, but the thought of it being there is driving me nuts...

Considering it’s one fret, on one string, could it be a high fret or what? Literally every other fret was fine when the action was very low. I’m I being to picky?

2. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    I think that would mean the 3rd fret is lower than all the other frets, if that is the only fret it happens on.

By the way, welcome to Gretsch Talk!

3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Welcome!

Depends on the action and strings you are running. If you have 11s and super low action with no relief, I could say the annoyance at the price point is unreasonable. If you have 11s, with 0.01” relief, and 0.065” string height at the 17th fret, I’d say it’s worth the hassle of exchanging it.

4. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Gretschie

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Welcome to the forum. A short straight edge will tell you if the frets are high or low. Good luck.

jay_mci likes this.
  5. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    On both of my Electromatics I noticed a slight sharpness when fretting at the first few frets on some strings, or when using a capo like at 3rd or 5th frets. I took them to a shop for a full set up, the main fix was the slots in the nut that they fixed.

6. Wjensen

Wjensen Gretschie

May 25, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Welcome to the forum Anvilandforge. Hope to see your guitar when you get it fixed.

7. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    022AACBA-6EE4-4848-B445-AC704F30E418.jpeg As mentioned, look for a high fret.

something like this will work, or any good short non flexible straight edge. Feel for rocking.

capnhiho likes this.
  8. SWoody

SWoody Gretschie

Aug 27, 2018
    PA
    I've had a bunch of Electromatics. EVERY one had one or two frets that needed leveled. Unless you played with high action it was level or buzz.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.