New Electro Jets....?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by TSims1, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    So if you get a non bigsby do you have to drill holes to add one? Or does that tailpiece have the same holes? If it's the same holes then I agree the non Bigsby might be the ticket cause I could get one of the ones everyone on here upgrades to lol.

Edit. Just went and looked at them. I thought they had a a tailpiece still. But it looks like they just have normal bridge set up.

2. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Just an fyi, the older ones are mahogany and some can be quite heavy i understand (mine is mahogany and not heavy at all). The newer ones are basswood, if that matters to you.

3. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yea, the older ones have the tailpiece ( see my post about certain ones becoming more valuable). I dont think people are hip yet, thats why i wanna grab a couple more. But you do get the blacktops with the newer ones.

blueruins likes this.
  4. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Thank you.

I think I have @ $700 into the white one (Tru-Arc installed since these photos). If I add the TV Jones it will be right around $1,000!
    A lot of folks say you should just get a pro-line at that point.
    I get that perspective but I've been able to upgrade incrementally and play it while I do. Besides, I think many of us would want to make expensive upgrades to the pro's too.
    If there's a guitar out there that plays better than my cheap Jets I have yet to lay hands on it. Maybe I got lucky three times in a row?
    I saw a 2008 at Sam Ash for $250 recently...that's a steal!
    I'm always talking myself out of buying more of these Jets

TSims1 and wildeman like this.
  5. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I agree with you, i got around 1000 into mine and dont feel burned at all, heck ima do it again it was fun. That '08 is a deal!

TSims1 and blueruins like this.
  6. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    The tailpiece is better if you're going to add a B3.
    I had to drill for the three screws around the strap button but there were no holes on the top to hide.
    The ones that already have the Bigsby's have a hole drilled through the top that you'd have to live with or conceal.

Henry likes this.
  7. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Yours looks killer too BTW...should have mentioned that earlier!!

wildeman likes this.
  8. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    I know other people object to the electromatic logo, but I like it. What I don't care for are the metal plates on the headstocks of some of the prolines- I think it mars the look (but I bet I could get used to it if I was lucky enough to own one.) Gretsch puts out some guitars that are a little "much" for my taste, but by and large I think they're gorgeous. If Gretsch came out with a new Jet in cadillac green I'd probably have to buy it even if it meant eating beans for six months.

Henry likes this.
  9. The Marlin

The Marlin Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    London...ish
    People get emotionally attached to their guitars. I don't want to upset anyone, but I don't see any electromatic ever being collectable or overly valuable. Heck, only late 50's Gretsches have a buoyant collectors market. I can pick up a 60's Gretsch for less than used Pro Line money.

Even the G Love Corvette (which was £900 at UK retail, and rarely seen for sale) struggles to make £400 on the used market. I couldn't sell my one for £300 when j was 'between jobs'....

Electromatic can be great guitars, but will never be 'investment ' material.

My ES195? I think the price of these will go crazy in a few years. Awesome guitar !

Marlin

BorderRadio, TSims1 and blueruins like this.
  10. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    You've been around a while right? Im sure you've seen Les Paul jrs go from 200.00 to 4000.00 i know i have. Fender Jags and Mustangs have gone crazy too, its just real hard to predict what people will covet. Why do Harrison year Gretsches bring soooooo much more than other years, are they better? I know im bringing up vintage guitars but they werent always. All it will take is a guitar hero to play a '07 pro jet.

11. The Marlin

Feb 2, 2011
    London...ish
    My Les Paul Jr was £259 from Amazon. This years Gibsons are already heavily discounted, and going to get hammered again with the extra 20% off for Amazon Prime day.

The used guitar market is in the toilet at the moment. When is the last time a guitar sold via this forum? Poor Nick had had his lovely Setzer Hot Rod on offer at a great price for months. A few years back, it would have gone the same day.

I wouldn't second guess the market at the moment. Nothing is selling. Pro lines are trading hands on EBay at under £1k (if the sell). Bad times ahead.

Marlin

wildeman likes this.
  12. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Agreed, right now looks bleak.

13. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Remember when baseball cards came free with bubble gum? I wonder what people would have said if told that many would be worth a lot of money some day.

wildeman likes this.
  14. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    I like the early type of Pro Jet once the minibuckers have been changed. I prefer the feel of having the neck set deeper into the body (like a Les Paul -- sorry!) and the resulting lower lie of the strings. The weight of the guitar doesn't bother me because the balance is good -- I can't stand 'neck divers'.

15. Anni_Lover

Anni_Lover Synchromatic

Jul 17, 2009
    New Zealand
    1.png Perhaps the G5448 will become collectable:

16. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I think what some of y'all forget sometimes is that guitars from the 50s and 60s are from the "golden age" of guitar building. Comparatively small numbers and built by hand.

Guitars today are built in the gazillions and by machine. NOT the same thing. These guitars will never see collectibility. But they ARE built for rockin', which they do very well!! :)

BorderRadio and The Marlin like this.
  17. The Marlin

Feb 2, 2011
    London...ish
    This forum needs a 'wisdom' button.

Listen to the man. He speaks the truth.

M :)

MTurner likes this.
  18. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Never say never... I fully expect my 5135 to be worth at least 5 million bottlecaps after the Zombie Apocalypse comes and goes ;)

19. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Never underestimate the power of nostalgia.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.