New Amp Day!

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Highroller, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    So the wife and I took a little trip up to Seattle for a few days and I stopped by Thunder Road Guitars while we were there.

They had two of my Holy Grail Rickenbackers in stock, but unfortunately, a big dollar guitar purchase isn’t in the budget right now, so I had to pass. They sure were sweet though …

What was in budget was one of those little Fender Mustang LT-25 amps, and they had several, all boxed up and ready to go. I’ve been looking to upgrade my practice rig for quite a while, so I tried one out. It was ok, the effects stuff sounded pretty good, but you do have to scroll thru a display window to find specific ones. Reminded me of an old multi-effects floor processor I had 12 years ago that I stopped using for that exact reason. Tons of effects, 8 of which you’ll use. Good luck finding them.

Then I noticed something else: A little Fender Acoustic Junior off to the side. Tried that out, and wow!

Now, I’ve been on an acoustic binge lately, so this fits right in with that. Not only did it sound way better than the Mustang, but the control layout is better, it has two channels with XLR inputs (in case I want to torture somebody by singing), provides a modest selection of built-in effects I’ll actually use, and still has a small enough footprint that it can sit on top my Rumble 25 (which I frequently AB/Y to for some added bass).

Last year I spent a bunch of time comparing Fishman Loudboxes to Fender Acoustasonics – never could decide between the two. The Acoustic Junior seems (to me) to be Fender’s attempt to do a Loudbox Mini thing, and I have to say - They did a nice job with it. Costs about the same as the Mini too.

Which yeah, was twice the Mustang’s cost, but worth every penny, imho.

First thing I did when I got it home was plug the Nashville into it. Sounded good, very clean, a little jazzier than usual. About what I expected from an amp designed for acoustics. I don’t know yet how it’ll sound if I try to overdrive it, will have to screw around with that. As expected, sounded fantastic with the Rancher Jumbo, the J-35, and the Guild 12-string.

So anyway, my new upgraded practice rig. Got to take the old Sidekick 15 out to garage and toss it in the yard sale pile! Bye-bye you stinkin’ piece of junk! LoL!

New-Amp.jpg

2. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Very nice. Congrats!

Highroller likes this.
  3. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats on your nice new amp. Enjoy!

Highroller likes this.
  4. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Congratulation on the Acoustic Junior, Highroller!

I really like the subdued look of that acoustic amp.

5. CBHScott

CBHScott Electromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    Central OH
    Nice! I have been looking at those, meself...

Check out the demo BK just put out over the weekend - an Acoustisonic Jazzmaster through a Junior (although he is using XLR out to a soundcard):

Craig Encinitas and Highroller like this.
  6. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    Northern Rivers NSW Australia
    Congratulations on your choice! Fender make a good acoustic amp. Dunno about overdriving it if it's got a tweeter....

Highroller likes this.
  7. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Gretschie

Jan 2, 2018
    USA
    Is that a Rumble cabinet? If so, what size speaker and do you use it as an additional cab for guitar?

Highroller likes this.
  8. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, I'm assuming that as an acoustic amp, it's not really designed for that, but I'm curious as to how well it will play with some pedals. I'm thinking mild dirt, not a Turbo Rat at full blast! We'll see ...

Not a cabinet, it's an amp. The Rumble 25's a fine little bass amp for home practice. 8" speaker I believe. With the Acoustic Junior on top of it, I can still reach the top mounted controls behind the Junior. I use an AB/Y box to split the signal to run both amps. Stereo!

I do like the XLR inputs, not that I'm actually gonna use them for singing. What I like is that I can mic my purely acoustic instruments - stuff like my mandolin, etc. Very useful feature.

btw, it's also got a built in looper, although I already have a Ditto, so I didn't pay much attention to that. And you have to buy the optional $60 footswitch to really use it. So not a big thing for me per se, but others might like it.

Thanks for the comments folks!

gjohnson441496 and NowEarThis like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.