New 2021 Gretsch Models!

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by lordhelmet, Jan 11, 2021.

1. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    why no electro billybo???!!

GlenP, Merc, aFriendbFrosty and 2 others like this.
  2. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    I'd jump on the waiting list for one so fast...;)

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  3. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    As would about half this forum I'd say, maybe that could be the GretschTalk FSR someone mentioned about in another thread.

Jeff67 and aFriendbFrosty like this.
  4. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    I agree with all that. I'm not sure where the 'radical offset' is..? I can't see one. Leave that to Fender.

My comment was more about the complaints about Gretsch 'chasing' Gibson. I see it as Gretsch expanding marketshare and exposure. If people don't know who Gretsch is, they won't buy Falcons. If people have experienced Gretsch, stepping in with a G2215 or a G2622 or another Streamliner (rather than an Epiphone, etc), or jumping from their Epiphone to an Electromatic (given there's a gap between the Epiphone range and Gibson prices), they'll be more aware of G5420's, and G6120's. And Tennessee Roses. And they'll learn not to pigeon hole Gretsch in styles they may well not play.

The reason CITES clamped down on Rosewood was that people were making entire furniture sets out of it. An 'entire' hollowbody Gretsch doesn't use much timber.

Which is why Guitars are now exempted from the CITES Rosewood ban, but furniture (and unfinished timber products) are still part of it.
    And the only Brazilian Rosewood that's able to be used now had to be harvested in the 60's. If you can't provide documentary evidence of the origins of the Brazilian rosewood in your new guitar (that you've produced), you can expect to have it seized. I'm pretty sure I saw a video where Framus still has some Brazilian Rosewood in their timber pile. Not much, but a little. And they have all the documents.

It's similar in Australia with Huon Pine. You can use it, provided it was harvested before a certain point in time. You can't fell trees (they grow very, very slowly, and only in a small part of Tasmania). Given the number of trees that were felled up until the ban, and were lost in rivers, there's companies who are licenced to collect timber that's been felled, or has naturally fallen, but hasn't been utilised. Trees that were left in rivers, etc. There's three timber mills in the entire state which are licenced to work with the timber. It's made the timber extremely expensive, and given the respect it deserves. I say it that way, as being such a slow growing tree, and being extremely oily, the locals believe it was the best timber for shipbuilding ever known, as it was resistant to pests as well as saltwater.

Jeff67, G5422T and Chmason85 like this.
  5. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Synchromatic

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Gretsch put out a 2420T with 2 P90s they'd be very popular. I really don't see why they are doing it with the double cutaway models and not the single cut.

Jeff67 likes this.
  6. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have two small pieces of Brazilian rosewood. All of it from a violin maker who got it in the '40s b ut how the heck do you prove that. I heard of someone who got some documentation but the international airport still took their instrument away. It had a Brazilian rosewood bridge, they could have just taken that part but didn't. I don't think they ever got it back. I am convinces the documentation is a scam to get money and the airports take the instruments because they can. I do think it is to rare to use now but the old stuff that is already cut use it up. The country tries where these tress grow manage it much better. I honestly believe we need way more tree farms.

7. mapotofu

mapotofu Electromatic

May 1, 2018
    Chicago
    I'm a big Gretsch center-block fan so I'm really digging the G2622T Streamliners with the mahogany bodies and P90 staple pickups, as well as the new speyside and aged walnut finishes on the 5622 models.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Eford, GlenP, johnnymbutler and 2 others like this.
  8. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    This is sort of getting off topic of the new Gretsch guitar catalog. But there’s been an increased deforestation taking place in Brazil recently too. Apparently enabled by those in power. I don’t know if it’s rosewood areas though.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-latin-america-55130304

Tadhg likes this.
  9. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Gretschie

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Yeah, their pm, Jair Bolsonaro is totally nuts.

Tadhg and Merc like this.
  10. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    what if Chicago Music Exchange would run one if we got enough guys here on the forum to push for it? Even Rocky from Street sounds might be key for say a falcon Electro Bo!!! Of course I would tear out the electronics but still... they waste so much money on the falcon ranchers, bring that vibe to an electrobo.

Stefan87 and Merc like this.
  11. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    I'm in!:)

Stefan87 likes this.
  12. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'd definitely be interested.

Jeff67 likes this.
  13. THE BALD REVEREND

THE BALD REVEREND Electromatic

Jul 14, 2020
    MILAN - ITALY
    mhhhh ..... they look nice and probably they also sound great , no doubt , but imho P90 give'em some Gibson appeal which .... is not so gretschy . Maybe it's only due to the white PU cover , but ... far better TVJ or BT Filtertron , in terms of look . Obviously , it's a matter of taste !

14. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Is there a reason not to make a Proline BillyBo, an Electromatic BB and even a Streamliner BB? There are 6120s, 5420s and (don't know the Streamliner full hollowbody No). Wouldn't that be great for everybody, Streamliners for those with real low budget or those who want to extremely mod them?

15. Dan Garder

Dan Garder Electromatic

Oct 29, 2020
    Palm Harbor Florida
  16. Dan Garder

Dan Garder Electromatic

Oct 29, 2020
    Palm Harbor Florida
    One of my band mates has a Dean Razorback and everybody is worried about getting an eye poked out!

17. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I actually agree with bringing the Billy Bo for the masses. But the design has been out for a while and already a Gretsch. So I don’t view it as being new and radical per say. My reply was in the suggestion of bringing a newly designed hollowbody or semi hollow offset Gretsch. Maybe I mis-read the posters words. But I don’t believe a full hollowbody offset that’s the thickness of a 6120 with f-holes is the way to go. At least that’s what I envision with the description. The majority buyers of hollow bodies likely want something more traditional.

Floo likes this.
  18. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    A lot ask for an electro Billy Bo, I wonder would there be an agreement not to do that so legally they can't?

19. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    And I'm guilty of not answering to your post's original intention, sorry. It was just a thought that came to my mind, three Billy Bos in three price ranges.
    You are right, they are not new designs, and an offset full hollowbody would be odd, even for Gretsch with a history of quirky guitars like the AstroJet.

Merc likes this.
  20. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    What do you guys mean by offset?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.