Never seen this guitar scam before

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by juks, Mar 27, 2021.

1. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    A friend of mine bought a legit Smash Mouth autographed guitar at a charity auction 20-something years ago. Too bad they self-destructed. Guessing the guitar isn't worth any more with their autographs than without it.

2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I think the guy changed his first name to Carl . He advertises on the radio here in NYC area . His radio commercials sounds like he pieces them together . He'll ask patient a question and then at a different recording level the patient answered the question . A real piece of garbage ........ his slogan is something like ..." I'm Dr Carl Leberman where we hit the cancer "
    I remember when the story was all over the news too about George Harrison and that guitar . Dr wanted to sell it on Ebay too ......:mad:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    mrfixitmi likes this.
  3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Not sure that would stand up in court. Also appears to be written by a non-native speaker.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  4. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I looked at his website, very sketchy. George Harrison wouldn't be a good spokesperson for the doctor's success rate!

mrfixitmi and thunder58 like this.
  5. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I'd love to get referrals for all of their customer names. I could use those to seed a new business I am considering, selling monuments and bridges at very friendly prices. :)

mrfixitmi and drmilktruck like this.
  6. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    There are some people that get weak in the knees whenever they are around someone famous. This doc's behavior strikes me as particularly unprofessional. What kind of person would try to exploit someone that is seriously ill? That strikes me as going beyond unprofessional and entering the realm of cruelty.

Secondly, according to the article, it would appear that Harrison's HIPPA rights were violated egregiously. I deal with HIPPA from time to time and I know that one does not say anything about a patient, unless there is a signed release and that one does not share information with colleagues, not to mention family members. I know that companies dealing in patient data take extraordinary measures to keep PHI from being exposed to anyone's eyes, inadvertently. Inviting family members to a patient's house ... well, let's just say I hope for his sake that he had permission, in writing. It sounds like Harrison's estate is being very patient about this matter.

mrfixitmi and drmilktruck like this.
  7. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    On the couple of pages I looked at it was always guitar like Hondo IIs. In other words, this outfit doesn't want to put out a few grand for an actual 78 Les Paul for their fake Lennon signature. (Certainly if I were lucky enough to meet, e.g., George Harrison and wanted him to sign my guitar it would be my actual 60s Gretsch).

No...they buy 60s and 70s garbage, put fake autograph on and then it'sall pure profit; whereas if you actually got a good guitar for $8000 you'd at least have that to show for it.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  8. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    In order to afford one of those I'd have to sell my Mozart autographed Stratocaster... Not gonna happen!

9. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    mrfixitmi likes this.
  10. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    While not defending the site, it's usual to have even famous folks legitimate sign cheap guitars. I was in a music collectible store and asked the owner if he had any signed Gretsches. He said he'd never use a nice guitar for something that's probably going to just hang on a non-player's wall. (Our last real estate agent was a big sports and music memorabilia collector, including some guitars. No interest in playing them. Hang on the wall in his downstairs den.)

mrfixitmi likes this.
  11. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I' can find a guitar with the name and signature of whoever in history you want. Small fee of... say ... $5000 each. My best seller is Alexander the Great. He loved BC Rich Mockingbirds. :rolleyes:

mrfixitmi and MrWookiee like this.
  12. Tokairic

Tokairic Electromatic

I would never pay more for a guitar with any signature on it than what it was worth without.
    Too may scammers out there and artists signatures are too easy to copy and too hard to verify.
    Just wait till we see a BB King signature on a 2016 guitar!!
    I much prefer my guitars unmarked thanks.

13. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    I agree, but I had an opportunity to meet and talk with Johnny Winter and I had my Republic Tri Cone with me. Couldn't pass that up, meeting one of my heroes and shooting the breeze with him for about 20 minutes. He even played it a little ( haven't changed the strings since...lol)
    He didn't want to "mess up" my guitar but I convinced him it was ok to sign it for me.

new6659, MrWookiee and Ricochet like this.
  14. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    That’s cool. There are always exceptions. :)

15. Les Pedals

Les Pedals Gretschie

Mar 29, 2017
    South Jersey
    9B77A382-3082-4BCF-A6AD-FF4EDE2CBBC3.jpeg I got this shady contact/lead in a PM right here on this community just days ago...... beware!

16. Stratiner

Stratiner Electromatic

My son has his first Squier tele and it became a thing for him to get it signed at the blues festivals we played at or even visited in one case. Most well known name is Matt "guitar" Murphy. Others are lesser known blues guitarists, but still some fine players. No real authentication available ( I was there) but he wouldn't sell it for anything anyway.

17. Wavey

Wavey Gretschie

Dec 31, 2016
    NorCal
    Some years ago either AMS or MF had Ronnie Wood on the cover of one of their catalogs and they were selling limited edition ESP Telecasters with his signature on them. Woody is one of my favorite rock and roll guitarists and sometimes I wish I would have bought one of those Teles. Also you have Martins with that are signed by Eric Clapton and Christian Martin IV. Something like that, with demonstrable provenance, would be worth having (to some, but not others). Other guitars that have been signed by multiple artists i.e. for a charity auction are often accompanied by a group photo with the guitar to prove the authenticity of the signatures. I've never owned a signed instrument, probably never will. A good rule to go by (and as people on the forum like to say): pix or it didn't happen!

18. Dave Murray

Dave Murray Gretschie

Feb 27, 2016
    Indio, CA
    I've got a Les Paul signed by nobody . . . I know it is not a fake. The old Pawn Stars show which can be found on YouTube has had several signed guitars where the signatures were phony . . . one by the Beatles for instance. A hundred years from now the signatures will have no meaning, so why bother. It's like "signature guitars" . . . who needs one? Not I. Having said that, I do have an Epiphone Johnny A. guitar which is unbelievable for the price compared to the Gibson Johnny A. It is virtually the exact same guitar, piece for piece, with the exception that the Emphone has a laminated top rather than solid. Not a big deal.

19. Dave Murray

Dave Murray Gretschie

Feb 27, 2016
    Indio, CA
    And that's the point. There are a lot of scams out there and here is a website full of them https://gift-memories.com/product-category/guitars/ . . . Yeah, sure Buddy Holly, Jim Morrison and others sat around signing guitars decades ago. Sure they did . . . . . . . . . cough, cough. As P.T. Barnham said, "There's a sucker born every minute."

20. GVDobler

GVDobler Synchromatic

May 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    The address is a house right up the road from me. They must have all that stuff stored in grandma's room.

MrWookiee likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.