Neil Young tone?

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by Randy99CL, Jun 14, 2020.

1. JCW513

JCW513 Gretschie

Sep 21, 2017
    Boston
    Honestly, with my El Pescadoro and my Mystery Brain with the pre amp cranked and delay.... I can get a nasty agressive Neil Young tone..

The Analogman Peppermint fuzz does a great job too.

G5422T likes this.
  2. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Here's one of the most interesting interviews with Neil, shortly after the Buffalo Springfield break up.

http://neilyoungnews.thrasherswheat.org/2018/11/1969-neil-young-interview-alone-at.html?m=1

Looking back, it sets the stage for how he would evolve in his musical world.

The difference between his first solo album "Neil Young" and his next album "Everybody Knows this is Nowhere" is dramatic, considering the short time between the two.

Neil evolved quickly from recording through a board to live recording. His gear changes and evolution never really stopped.

When I hear "I want to get that Neil Young sound/tone" from anyone, I have to wonder "which one" are you after?

IMO, anyone interested in Neil's tone, has to listen to these two albums, and will see that he was always a man on a mission right from the beginning.

3. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    To me, the Neil Young I like best is acoustic. But there are some early electric things I like too.

4. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I absolutely agree.
    It’s safe to say though that his tone
    changed heavily after The Whizzer and the Old Black. He couldn’t have played his Falcon with the Whizzer without fighting some really heavy feedback.

G5422T likes this.
  5. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    My all time favorite Neil Young guitar sound is the Dead Man soundtrack. (Great film, too.) Young's score is one the craziest, most unique, and totally fitting scores for a film ever.

6. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Hey Stiv :)

By far Neils most famous tone is still his current one which started with "Ragged Glory" and the double live "Weld" from 1990's. They're not far off from the distortion tones on "Live Rust" featuring his "Old Black" LP and broken Fender Deluxe amp. That amp has changed tone over the years and Neil has changed with it :)

Only us old guys would remember Neil's Gretsch days from the 1970s.
    And by the 1990's it was very different with no appearances of the White Falcon.

There's many threads on thegearpage forum about Neils' legendary tones from 1990's to present. For me that's by far his best tone heard on the 2nd video below from 1991 :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trash Kidd and stiv like this.
  7. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Same here. Perfect soundtrack for that movie.

Never gets old watching and listening to Dead Man.

BohemianLikeMe and Waxhead like this.
  8. Green_grass

Green_grass Electromatic

Dec 7, 2017
    swampland
    I always liked the opening guitar tone in Ohio by CSNY. Sounds like Neil to me but I don't know anything about it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.