Need to replace stock Gretsch strap screws!

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Chmason85, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    Hey all, any recommendations for a good replacement for the stock barrel screws or whatever they’re called? These things unscrew themselves and almost made me drop my guitar the other night when the heel one just came completely out of the body!! I kind of just want to go with some large standard fender/Gibson style ones, or should I get a set of strap locks? I’ve heard they’re not always the most reliable either

2. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    I used Titebond wood glue to secure the original strap buttons on my 5420. I kinda like ‘em with a wide, soft leather strap.

On the other hand I installed Dunlop strap locks on my Double Jet. They seem more appropriate on a solid body.

YMMV

GlenP likes this.
  3. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    Had some of those red rubber washers lying around. Put it over the top of the strap and screwed the pin in. Not a strap lock but if I check how tight it is every time it seems to work pretty well for me. Plus, It looks kinda cool on my Rat Rod.

4. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Straplocks. Do it right the first time.

5. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I favor Schaller strap locks.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  6. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Is the screw coming out of the wood, or is the metal barrel unscrewing itself from the screw?

If it's the former, you can fix it with a bit of wood glue. Or you can remove the screw, fill the hole with a dowel and wood glue, and drill a new pilot hole for the screw.

If it's the latter, a dab of blue Loctite on the threads will fix it. It worked like a charm on my 5620. (Just make sure it's blue Loctite. Red Loctite will permanently bond the barrel onto the screw.)

MTurner, GlenP and Bubbalou88 like this.
  7. Andrew6128

Andrew6128 Electromatic

Oct 20, 2019
    Japan, Tokyo
    If the screw part is undoing itself from the body, just tighten it with a plier and put on the knob and strap and you’re set.
    This worked many times for me on numerous proline Gretschs.

Schallers are the best lock straps if you want to opt for those. But most strap locks just look clunky.

GlenP likes this.
  8. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Yup , Schaller is the magic word for me too

mrfixitmi likes this.
  9. Bubbalou88

Bubbalou88 Electromatic

Sep 25, 2020
    Dallas-Ft.Worth Texas
    +1

10. Bubbalou88

Bubbalou88 Electromatic

Sep 25, 2020
    Dallas-Ft.Worth Texas
    Concerning Schaller strap locks. I never use the "Cheesy" smaller diameter screw that comes with them. I take the stock screw and slightly grind off the outer edge of the head by rotating it on a grinder wheel so it fit's.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  11. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    Works great for me. The screw tops stay on tight pretty well. I like ‘em. 5A4842B2-D00A-4735-A033-003BD874B3A9.jpeg

Bubbalou88 and MTurner like this.
  12. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Get yourself some Schaller style strap locks.

mrfixitmi and Tony65x55 like this.
  13. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Amen!

Tony65x55 likes this.
  14. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I personally prefer Dunlop straplocks but about half my guitars wear Schallers. Both are terrific. I also put a tiny drop of Gorilla Glue on the screw threads that go into the guitar.

I know it isn't a popular opinion but I think the Gretsch strap locks bite. In fact, the only thing that saved my old Country Club was the fact it landed on my foot.

Strap locks all the way!

db62 likes this.
  15. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I agree. I tried the OEM strap locks once and almost dropped a guitar because of it. It only took once for me to learn my lesson. They look great, but are a poor design.

Tony65x55 likes this.
  16. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    That screw actually has a small Phillips head on it. If totally stripped out, filling with a wood dowel and re-drilling is a good option. If just a little loose, a drop of wood glue, and maybe a short length of a toothpick to make it tight would help also.

EBE1FCAE-7840-4EC7-A33A-9995251FED06.jpeg

MTurner likes this.
  17. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I saw a player recommend Dunlop strap locks so tried them and they work great.
    A few places sell them for less than $10 per set so they're cheap enough to put on every guitar.

I don't like leaving a strap on a guitar in a case and the locks make it easy to take it off. Then I roll it up and put it in a spot where it will help brace the guitar.
    A second benefit is that I don't have to buy a strap for each instrument. You might actually get away with just one, I have about 10 for 15 guitars and I bought a pair of expensive Italia straps because I can use them on all of them.

I cringe at the thought of the strap coming off the button on one of my Gretsches. That's how the output jacks get punched up into the body.

Edit: and I've never heard of a strap coming off with the Dunlop locks.
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dunlop-dual-design-straplok-system?rNtt=dunlop strap locks&index=1
    IMG_2870_zpsjubdlg6c.jpg

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    capnhiho and SAguitar like this.
  18. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    The Gretsch locking strap buttons look great but in reality aren't practical.. especially if you play live.. Every set I’ve had have unscrewed themselves..

I have Schaller strap locks on all my guitars now..

Telechamp and GlenP like this.
  19. SAguitar

SAguitar Gretschie

Jan 17, 2020
    Oregon
    All of my guitars have Dunlop Strap Locks, even my acoustic guitar. Well, except for my Gretsch 6120, and I really have to do something about that.

capnhiho likes this.
  20. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Beaumont, CA
    I have had straps come loose with strap locks. I never much cared for how far out most of them stick... But the second time I had one come loose on stage, I went home and pulled them off of all of my guitars.

It was the nut on the part that actually attaches to the strap that works it's way loose. I guess you could put osme locktite on it... But, eh.

Almost all of my guitars have a strap for just that guitar. I very rarely take the straps off my guitars (even when they go into their cases). I use the beer washers.

I'm also religious about giving my Gretsch buttons a light twist to make sure they're tight every time I pick one up. It's just become second nature. Never had a fail since doing it this way.

mister rain likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.