Need new delay

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Johnyrocco, May 10, 2021.

1. gtrs

gtrs Electromatic

Nov 29, 2020
    USA
    If the Boss worked for you just snag another one, lots of folks love ‘em!

2. Gold Penguin

Gold Penguin Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Long Island, New York
    I've had dozens of delay pedals. From an old soldier I can only recommend a DD6 or DD7. I have Echorecs and Echoplex's all sorts of delays. I even have my 2 Roland SDE 3000 delays from around 1985. Just get the newest Boss Digital delay with the tap tempo. It sounds great and it will last you for decades.

ruger9 likes this.
  3. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I pretty much agree with this, with one caveat: "unless you want analog or something that sounds analog". The DD-8's analog mode isn't very analog sounding. (it's Tape mode isn't very tape sounding either). If you like warmer analog/like delays, get the Boss Waza DM-2w

Gold Penguin likes this.
  4. GretschPraise

GretschPraise Gretschie

Jun 26, 2017
    Tampa Bay
    I've never heard of a Boss pedal dying. I'm wondering if it just needs a new switch???

Gold Penguin likes this.
  5. Gold Penguin

Gold Penguin Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Long Island, New York
    Yes what you're saying is correct. But in all honesty, and its just my opinion, when you're on stage playing the Boss DD it just seems to come through the mix more than an analog delay pedal does. But right now I have a Catalinbread Belle Epoch in my board it sounds pretty damn good. But it's front end input control is kinda finicky. If it's not set correctly it has a tendency to start clipping and adds a very harsh sounding overdrive to the incoming signal.

Tele295, Merc and ruger9 like this.
  6. Gold Penguin

Gold Penguin Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Long Island, New York
    After having a DD3 in my pedal board the metal casing where the thumbscrew is located well it cracked wide open. Electronically it still works fine. But the steel housing is completely shot. I had that pedal in my board for almost 30 years. It did 1000s of gigs and always sounded great! My friend has my CE2 chorus I bought new in 1984, it has a cracked housing too but it still works and sounds great!

GretschPraise likes this.
  7. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Yup- no disagreement there, and from personal experience. I replaced my DD-8 with a Boss RE-20 on my live board, because I liked that I had access or 2-3 delay times WITHOUT dealing with tap tempo. But then I replaced it with a Mad Professor Dual Blue, because it has 3 delay modes accessible, and I don't even have to touch it (just fiootswitches).

If I liked analog, and all I was using was slapback, I'd get the DM-2w even for live. But for anything else- especially if you have keys or another guitar in the band, the DD-8 cuts through perfectly (the RE-20 did too, and the MP DBD). The only mode I used on the DD-8 was Tape; it doesn't sound like tape, but it's mellower than digital and cuts though. Like the best of both worlds.

Gold Penguin likes this.
  8. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I love my MXR carbon copy but I do wish it was stereo.

9. Johnyrocco

Johnyrocco Electromatic

Dec 5, 2017
    USA
    GretschPraise I agree I thought Boss pedals would work forever! But this one gave out. It passes no signal and kills the amp's output. Could it be repaired? Probably, but it would cost as mush as a new pedal I imagine.

In hindsight I remember taking it back to the store a long time ago and telling them it had a thump right after the delay, a short noise like something hitting the amp, very hard to hear , but it was there. Of course at the store it didn't do it. I took it home put it back on the pedal board and used it until now. The thump went away and all was good until last week.
    It's tempting to get it looked at but I kind of want a new delay and I think the Waza is the one.

stevo likes this.
  10. capnhiho

capnhiho Country Gent

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Another vote for the DM2 Waza here. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

11. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Anyone here trade from an El Cap to a Belle Epoch deluxe? Wanted to hear thoughts on the trade, have considered.

12. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
  13. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Boss pedals are easy to replace - both inexpensive and widely available. I see a lot of rig rundowns about touring Pros who use off-the-shelf pedals on their boards - lots of Boss, MXR and Ibanez.

And it's amazing to see how many pro players still have things on their boards like an original 1976 Boss CE-2 or 20 year old Boss DS-1 etc. (DS-1 easy to replace. CE-2, not so easy.)

Funny Youtube about Joe Satriani's love of Boss DS-1 pedals. He had 25 (?) of them at one time:

14. Johnyrocco

Johnyrocco Electromatic

Dec 5, 2017
    USA
    Just an update on my choice. I went with the Boss waza craft DM2. I keep it on the standard setting with just a little delay and it sounds great. Very happy with it.
    Thanks for all the helpful ideas everyone mentioned. I'm sure they would have all worked fine.

Tele295 likes this.
  15. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Agreed. I don’t dislike knobs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.