Need new delay

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Johnyrocco, May 10, 2021.

1. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    @Ricochet and @ruger9

I’m right there with you both on simplicity. That’s why I let the Strymon Volante go last year. I do think it’s the best multi-head tape pedal out there right now. But… sure I didn’t need software, I still found myself always tweaking the age features and playing around with it. Until one day it dawned on me I’ve never played a real tape machine to know how real tape actually sounds when aged. So I switched it up to the Belle Epoch Deluxe and Mystery Brain. Both super simple to dial in. The Mystery Brain rightfully get a lot a love around here and is stellar. I’m surprised the Epoch Deluxe doesn’t get mentioned more (maybe the price?). It is such an amazing beautiful sounding pedal. If I was forced to trim to one delay pedal, that’s the one for me.

Ricochet and ruger9 like this.
  2. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    This is exactly why I ended up with the TC Alter Ego v2 pedals (and also why, even tho I really wanted to try the Volante, I never bought one.) No tweaking. You pick a tape model, and it is what it is. No "low end contour", no "secondary functions", etc... want a dirtier tape echo? EP (Echoplex). Want a pristine tape with a little warble? SP (Space Echo). Want the classic DMM? DMM-C. Want warm analog? BDM2 (Boss DM2). Not being able to control the modulation is usually a non-issue with me, as I use my delays functionally not foundationally; meaning, they are there, but they are not a foundation of my sound, like The Edge or many shoe gazers. So a little bit of mod is all I need, and at the mix levels I use, the Ego is near perfect. They are discontinued, and I just bought a mint used one as a backup... that's how much I love the Ego.

I only bought the new ES-3 Echo Shifter because I still jones for a real analog, modulated, delay, ala the DMM. And it was a toss-up between the DMM XO and the ES-3, and I went with the ES-3 mostly because the DMM XO requires 24V. It's not a deal-breaker, and it's not even a PITA for a home-only delay, but I feel like the 9V of the ES-3 makes it that much more versatile.

Merc likes this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I would have loved a Belle Epoch DLX but I’m perfectly content with my Neunaber Expanse and Empress Tape Delay. Maybe not the most hyped up in terms of forum talk but probably way too good for a rank amateur who doesn’t even play out. :D

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    Merc and ruger9 like this.
  4. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I had the Empress for awhile when it first came out. It's a good machine. It couldn't get dark enough for me, which is why I moved on to the Strymon Brigadier, then El Capistan, after the Empress. But the Empress was one of the best, and imo still is, all these years later. Does not get the love the Strymon do, but it's great. And I actually preferred it's simple toggle switches for things, instead of all the "secondary functions" of the Strymons.

I almost bought another Brigadier instead of the ES-3, I would just set all those functions then forget about them, but... I really wanted analog.

Ricochet likes this.
  5. Viking Power

Viking Power Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2018
    Mountlake Terrace, WA
    I have an MXR Carbon Copy mini. Now that I’ve figured it out, I like it and am able to get a good slapback. I’d actually prefer something simpler. There is too wide of a range of delay with this pedal for me. I only want slapback. I won’t be playing any U2 or Floyd in the near future.

TLDR- The Carbon Copy mini is a great pedal that can get slapback with a little tweaking.

6. manunk

manunk Gretschie

Love my cheap Behringer Vintage Delay pedal but would carry a backup. The Boss Waza delay is fine too but just a little movement of the controls can drastically alter your delay.

7. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Believe it or not, this is perfect for exactly that. It's a good little pedal.

a.jpg

Viking Power likes this.
  8. Viking Power

Viking Power Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2018
    Mountlake Terrace, WA
    I've gotta check those out. Thanks!

ruger9 likes this.
  9. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Mystery Brain!!!!! Or if the budget is lower the Carbon copy is great.
    I run both of these on my board…

10. Outlaw

Outlaw Country Gent

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    The El Capistan is a truly awesome pedal, I've had two of em and will probably get another, at the mo I'm using a flashback 2 and for the money I think it's really good, is it as good as the El Capistan? Err.... NO!

But it still is a great pedal and worth every penny.

11. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I owned the Brigadier twice, the El Capistan 3 times. Know which delays I have now? TC Alter Ego x4 and Alter Ego v2. :D

blueruins likes this.
  12. Johnyrocco

Johnyrocco Electromatic

Dec 5, 2017
    USA
    I'd like to spend between 100 and 200 dollars. I have the Dano BLT but it is way too noisy. I am going to think more about the Waza from Boss. All the other pedals are Boss and have worked fine for many years. I guess the DD3 was just time to fail.

ruger9 and Merc like this.
  13. dlew919

dlew919 Country Gent

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I don’t want to overwhelm, but if you don’t want a boss, my other options are a tc prophet for digital and a memory toy for analogue. The boss dm2 Waza and the dd7 are my favourites.

14. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I think that is a very good plan.

15. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Lots of offerings in that price range. If you’re not sure if you want a pristine digital echo or the warmth of analog, what about the Boss DD8? My brother uses one and likes it.

ruger9 likes this.
  16. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Can you repete the question ?

gtttrrr and wabash slim like this.
  17. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    For bells and whistles per dollar spent, it's hard to beat this one.

Merc likes this.
  18. slickfaster

slickfaster Country Gent

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    So.... what ya getten???

19. Johnyrocco

Johnyrocco Electromatic

Dec 5, 2017
    USA
    HaHa, my search has begun,,,,but I am really leaning to the Waza. Next week I will hit some stores and see what I like.

20. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    I'm amazed at the brands I've never heard of in this thread, America must have way more suppliers than we got in the UK. I must admit though, I like Boss products.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.