Need new delay

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Johnyrocco, May 10, 2021.

1. Johnyrocco

Johnyrocco Electromatic

Dec 5, 2017
    USA
    Had our first gig in 9 months with a full house and my pedal board died on the third song. No tuner, compressor, distortion, phaser, chorus, or delay. I play through a Roland Blues Cube artist and every time I pushed the loop button I lost the sound. So I just unplugged everything and used just the amp, like the old days.

The next day I went pedal to pedal and found out that the culprit is the Boss DD3. It lights up but does not pass the signal through. I took it apart but I don't see any wires broke. Not worth taking to a shop.

All the pedals are Boss but I am considering replacing this with some other brand. Any suggestions for a replacement? I just want a very simpl;e one, even the DD3 had more features that I needed.
    Thanks Jim

Chmason85 likes this.
  2. Andy Fortune

Andy Fortune Gretschie

May 24, 2016
    Corning, NY
    My favorite simple delay is the Dunlop Echoplex. You can add a tap switch for tap tempo, if you like. Another excellent analog simple delay is the MXR Carbon Copy.
    Both sound different-one tape emulation, one analog bucket brigade-- and neither sound like your DD3 digital delay, but I love how good they sound and how they never overpower your dry signal.

3. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I’d vote for the way huge aqua puss. I’ve had mine for six years and it’s still my favorite. My “always-on” delay however is a JHS Milkman, but that’s a real one trick pony with a real narrow window of use as it only does slapback and like three quick repeats

johnnymbutler and Londoner like this.
  4. FiguredMaple

FiguredMaple Newbie

Apr 2, 2020
    Great Lakes
    I recently got a Strymon El Capistan and its awesome.
    It even has a single knob Spring Reverb that is great.
    After looking at a few delays, I highly recommend it.

rockinforJesus and Outlaw like this.
  5. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Synchromatic

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail.....I like mine

6. Johnyrocco

Johnyrocco Electromatic

Dec 5, 2017
    USA
    Lots of choices. I'm unsure if I want the pristine sound of digital, or the warmth of analog. I do like the looks and simplicity of the Carbon Copy though.

L Robbins likes this.
  7. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I've got a Catlinbread Belle Epoch that I quite like. However, my wife recently got a JHS Lucky Cat and it's got a tap function built in that's pretty handy. I've also got 2 other delay pedals on my board for different uses -- GarageTone Axle Grease and a Old Blood Noise Endeavors Dweller (mixes in a phaser). The Axle Grease is a cheap pedal that I just can't give up. Does a nice dirty repeat that I love. The Dweller is kind of "out there" in that it mixes in the phaser and causes some chaos. But the Belle Epoch is an emulation of the Echoplex tape unit. It's got some nice features and it's my always on pedal most part.

8. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Boss DD's are still one of the most ubiquitous and rugged delay pedals you can get. DD6 is excellent and I've come to appreciate that Boss are cheap, quite durable and easy to find/replace.

I just lost my Digitech Hardwire Delay and replaced it with a Waza DM2 since I also have a TC Electronic Flashback. Couldn't be happier. It's dead simple and I really like that. It is so much easier to find a setting I need than anything I've ever owned. I don't have much use for complex pedals.

I also own and highly recommend the TC Electronic Flashback series. I have the regular Flashback, but this little guy is solid and inexpensive:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Flashback2Mini--tc-electronic-flashback-2-mini-delay-pedal

9. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
  10. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    ^ This. The Vapor Trail is one the best simple analog delays I've used. I had a Carbon Copy, but feel it was on the edge of being too low-fi. The Vapor trail keeps everything I love about an analog delay without being either murky of low-fi, or crispy and over-present like some digital delays can get. Highly recommended. Plus made in the USA.

OzzPocket likes this.
  11. DennisC

DennisC Country Gent

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    One of the cases Behring does deliver. The VD400 I use is pretty flawless, plus it can seperate delayed and original signals to two output jacks, but doesn't need to.

Only real downside is, it is totally unfancy, not expensive enough to be cool and has a cheap plastic housing that may not be too excited about rough usage. Or exciting, in that regard.

Everything else - totally fine.

manunk and pmac11 like this.
  12. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    :D:D

13. Londoner

Londoner Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    UK
    Had many echo/delays over the years, (tape/analogue/digital, then back to analogue).
    The Aqua puss has been on my board for the last 3 years and more than happy with it.
    - A slightly brighter analogue delay, but not as sterile as digital.
    However, I recently wanted an inexpensive but good sounding delay to use for home recording without getting the pedalboard out. So after much soul searching, bought the TC Flashback mini2.
    Very impressed with it, especially how I can change it (via usb), to mimic various delay types if I need.

14. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    What’s the price point your looking at? That could determine suggestions.

Ricochet likes this.
  15. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    The new Ibanez ES-3 does both. 600ms of analog, or 1000ms of digital, modulation if you want it. I just ordered one... not because it does both, but because I owned it's predecessor the ES-2, and it has the most lovely modulation this side of a DMM.

If you think you want just analog, my favorite analog delay of all time is the Maxon AD-9 (now the AD9 Pro). I sold mine, but only because I don't get along with those footswitches- they aren't "positive" enough for me. Obviously most people don't have that issue, Maxon/Ibanez are hugely popular. The Carbon Copy is good, but get quite dark for anything other than slapback. There's the CC Deluxe, which has a bright switch and tap tempo.

Boss DM-2 Waza also a solid analog.

I had the new Boss DD-8, it seemed great, loved the Tape setting. But you might be shying away from boss now? (I wouldn't be, probably the most reliable pedals on the market)

16. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I was watching a demo vid of the Nux Tape core delay the other day. It’s amazing what a $70 pedal can do nowadays.

blueruins and Merc like this.
  17. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    Honestly the Behringer stuff is good to great and costs about as much as a fast food meal for two. Since they are all clones, you know they are going to sound good. The price point they have managed between volume and manufacturing processes is insane, but remember they are built down to a price and not up to a standard, so there is that. I don't fret over the plastic case like so many - many gun receivers are built of polymer and last forever while taking ridiculous abuse. But the overall build quality might not instill confidence. At that price though, it's almost a who cares situation unless you need a reliable piece of gear for gigging. They are automagically out of the running for me personally, since I don't buy Chinese made goods unless I have no choice or they are used, but your mileage may vary.

manunk likes this.
  18. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I had that one. I sold my RE-20 after buying the Nux. But I ended up selling the Nux. It's a good pedal, but I had to go in and change the EQs on the repeats and stuff, to get it the way I wanted it (on the RE-20, I just reach down an tweak the EQ knobs). In the end, I think I just preferred the simplicity of the RE-20. Even tho I own, use, and love TC delays (I have an Alter Ego v2 and and Alter Ego X4)... I don't use the toneprint software or the app. I already know what "tone prints" I like, I load them, and forget about it. I'm also currently playing the Nux Roctary on my band board. It's not bad. Nux isn't up the the level of Strymon (the guys who design Nux are ex-Strymon people), but they are quite good for the prices.

BTW... I have another RE-20 lol. It's my 4th time around. I think I'll just keep this one this time LOL.

Ricochet likes this.
  19. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Something to be said for simplicity. I’m getting increasingly antsy about pedals needing editors to adjust.

20. DennisC

DennisC Country Gent

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    The "Super FuzZ" from Behringer truly sucks. It does have three modes (two fuzzes, or just a boost), so the complex circuit is somehow explainable, but the result ... makes me wonder a clone of what that thing is.

But, in general, yeah, Behringer's stuff works. I also have a TS'ish Behringer pedal, which also is flawless. 2 in 3, at that price - nothing to complain.

manunk likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.