need help

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by RIFF, Oct 17, 2021.

1. RIFF

RIFF Electromatic

Oct 4, 2021
    florida
    Hi found this thread -i have a gretsch 5220 i would like to replace the toggle switch but cannot find any videos-has anyone done this on there gretsch thanks riff

2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome friend . I'm sure someone will be able to help you out soon

3. Gregor

Gregor Country Gent

Welcome to GT RIFF. I have a 5220 as well but never had to replace the switch. The bridge pickup used to cut out so the switch got the DeOxit treatment and has been fine ever since.
    Why do you want to replace the switch anyway?

4. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I’ve done lots of switches it’s really easy. Put painters tape around the nut so you don’t scratch it taking the nut off. Tape the neck. Loosen the strings push three to o e side and three to the other side of the neck and tape them so the stay. Remove the neck pickup and put it on a microfiber cloth. Tie a string onto the switch that’s about 2 feet long. Remove the switch and pull it through the pickup hole. Untie the string. Tie the string to the new pickup switch. Then just undo the wires and solder them to the new switch one at a time. If you do it one at a time you can’t mess it up. Drop it down in the pickup whole and use the string to pull it back into position. Done! Sounds like a lot but really it takes about 30 minutes start to finish. You can do it!

maloburro, new6659, juks and 2 others like this.
  5. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    I may be mistaken but I think the 5220 is a Jet style guitar so it should have a cavity cover over the switch (unlike hollowbodies). So you just need to remove the cavity cover to have access to the switch.

6. Gregor

Gregor Country Gent

That's exactly right!

maloburro likes this.
  7. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Welcome to GT Riff! Sounds like you’ve received some good advice. Good luck with the project.

8. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Hollowbodies electronics requires fishing abilities, for solidbodies it's just raw brute force job any jedi could do with eyes closed...

maloburro and Gregor like this.
  9. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT Riff!

maloburro likes this.
  10. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Welcome. As said above, try cleaning it first with DeOxid or equivalent before switching it. Most times that's all it needs.

I'm assuming yours is not working properly.

11. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    Northern Rivers NSW Australia
    In my days as a telecom tech, we used a contact cleaner about the size and shape as an ice pole stick. It was kind of like fine hairs material and it did the best job of polishing them contacts, have never come across them since.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.