Neck: Supertron or T90 or TV Classic?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Geosh, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Geosh

Geosh Synchromatic

Mar 17, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    So I recently replaced my HS Filter in my Black Falcon with a Tv Jones T90. It sounds good but I think I want a little more chime. The T90 is nice and punchy like I like, but I'm thinking I might want some more clarity.

So would a Supertron work well? Is it brighter than the T90? Depending on where I look on the TV Jones site, the T90 is marked as brighter AND darker than the Supertron. Or would I be better off trying a TV Classic?

This is mostly for rock/blues tones. Occasionally clean, but usually slightly dirty.

2. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    A Supertron is more meaty & a little more alive to me over a Classic neck pup...otherwise the same characteristics....perfect for the neck position...choice pup for Blues/Rock/Jazz.. can be mellow or dirty!!

3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I recently replaced a Classic with a Supertron. Look for the thread "The Birth of Stealth Weapon" and there are samples. The Supertron has greater clarity, IMO.

4. Raconteur

Raconteur Gretschie

Nov 12, 2010
    Utah, USA
    Can't go wrong with a classic. I've heard the supertrons are a little less punchy and more smooth than the classics. Those classics are probably the most well-rounded pup you could ever use.

5. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Just as a point of reference, because the Supertron is hotter than the Powertron...

I just replaced a neck classic with a powertron.... I don't like it. Not mellow enough, actually a *tad* harsh in the highs when compared to the Classic. I'm sending it back to TVJ and exchanging for a Classic.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.