NBD... rocking bar bridge

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by mbkri, Jul 28, 2020.

1. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    the RHH comes with a tunomatic which works pretty nicely through an amp, which is really all that matters, but acoustically it was a bit buzzy. And for some reason it came on a light rosewood base which didnt look great with the fretboard. And the Gretsch Rocking Bar bridge is just such a great feeling bridge. So here it is, the improved RHH.
    If i were a rich man I would put a B6C on it (After I’d beedie beedie beedie beedie beedie beedie bummed all day long). (Edited. Thanks @sanhozay for the catch)
    0EBDE4FE-64FA-45B7-8726-5EF588068232.jpeg D0EA099D-14D0-40C6-9D63-CF2197727D89.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  2. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    She looks great and like a perfect match.

mbkri likes this.
  3. sanhozay

sanhozay Electromatic

Mar 17, 2014
    usa
    great looking guitar! doesn't it already have a bigsby B6 on it?

mbkri likes this.
  4. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Looks good, it's funny how hard it is too look at a guitar with an ebony fretboard and a rosewood bridge base and wonder why they didn't just match the two.

JT19 and mbkri like this.
  5. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Generally I feel the same way.

I was rather surprised when Gretsch switched from the ebony base to a rosewood base on the Phoenix.

No idea why, but I do like it against the black body. Just a nice contrast to my eyes.

@mbki. I love the look of yours. Nice job.

Had to go with a bar and DE handle on my Bird.

20200212_150113.jpg 20200713_171902.jpg

6. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I agree, it does suit on your phoenix.

G5422T likes this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Great improvement IMO @mbkri . I had a 2007 -5120 ( miss her ) that I put one on . A great improvement IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0004.JPG

Marv666, G5422T, mbkri and 1 other person like this.
  8. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    You’re right!
    Darn it. I meant B6C with the V cut. Purely an aesthetic choice and one that i cant justify spending another $130 on. I’ve owned (still own) Quite a few gretsch guitars in my day and i only realised this evening that i no longer own one with my favourite Bigsby.

9. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Killer guitar, and great bridge choice.
    The regular B6 suits this model much better than the hifalutin yuppie V cut;).

mbkri likes this.
  10. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    That V cut a bit too full of itself , eh? The regular B6 a bit more “The Fonze”, the B6C a bit more “Richie Cunningham”? I stumbled on my wife watching an episode of Happy Days this weekend. What a fun show that was.

sanhozay, calebaaron666 and thunder58 like this.
  11. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Exactly! The RHH model has all the cool western decor. A big city-folk V cut would take away from that vibe.

My falcon came with a regular gold bigsby, and I was tempted to replace it with the gold V cut I have on my modded 5420, but I decided the regular Bigsby with the black paint looks better.

BorderRadio and mbkri like this.
  12. Gregor

Gregor Synchromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    There's a song about that...Fiddler on the Roof.

13. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    ....i would beedie beedie beedie beedie beedie beedie bum

sanhozay and Gregor like this.
  14. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Nice! I recently got one of those too, replacing the TOM on my 5420. Great bridge!

mbkri likes this.
  15. sanhozay

sanhozay Electromatic

Mar 17, 2014
    usa

LOL! gotcha!:D

oddly my old hot rod had the V cut bigs and i perceived i was getting the upgraded b6 without the cut when i purchased my SSLVO; as that's the one setzer's original stray cats guitar had and the one the custom shop uses on the BS model they release.

i ain't gonna lie, the thought has also crossed my mind to put a b6v on my guitar :cool:

mbkri likes this.
  16. Durbanator

Durbanator Electromatic

Aug 16, 2016
    UK
    Really nice job - looks like it should have when it left Terada. I too have a stock RHH and have been planning a bridge change for some time. I've passed-up the chance of a Gretsch Rocking bar bridge and was holding out for a Tru-arc as many say its about as good as it gets. They not easy to come by in the UK so it will mean a factory order to the US. The trouble is there are too many materials to choose from! And then there's the serpentine to add to the confusion. I also hear the hollow Comptons work well. Can you share any thoughts / experience you may have? Thanks.
    BTW - is the stock Gretsch RBB the factory fit item on the 6120DE or does the DE have something more unusual fitted? Cheers.

17. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    The Duane Eddy comes with a Rocking Bar bridge fitted. As did my 6120DSV. Its such a great bridge for feel and clarity and it rocks with the bigsby To avoid tuning problems.
    I have had brass and stainless Chambered Comptons and certainly They ring out great. I have a floating compton on my Annie and the intonation is close enough to spot on for it to be my number one guitar for clean recordings. I was worried that the fixed bridge of the RHH might give me intonation problems with the bar bridge but its pretty close. Certainly close enough for me though i wouldn't hook it up to an oscilloscope.the serpentune truarc gets rave reviews for tone and intonation but ive never had one. D42B6C36-62A3-4E71-9296-9EAFB3A16EF9.jpeg

sanhozay likes this.
  18. Gasee

Gasee Gretschie

Jun 4, 2009
    North Wales
    Hey Thunder -I love that Duane Eddy Kickstand!

19. JT19

JT19 Gretschie

Nov 28, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Yep... they just look more "balanced" when the bridge matches the fretboard.

Great upgrade!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.