NBD Mastery

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by mbkri, Sep 27, 2020.

1. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I just cant put up with the bridge on my 62avri jazzmaster any longer.
    So 3 weeks ago i ordered a Mastery M1 and it just arrived. Super excited to put it on but ive a boatload of work to do tonight so i have to make do with just looking. A thing of beauty. 315AEDFE-967D-4A22-BD4C-59EFAEBE0244.jpeg F969ADFD-776D-4466-89E9-5657E2C85594.jpeg B3F2F0C5-5AD7-47D8-BF5D-2FE6A21EB1D5.jpeg 3E79C79A-B9FD-4B0E-A7C4-A15CBFB5462B.jpeg F4197339-556B-4384-B1AB-03AC1D0CBFCA.jpeg

2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Congrats! It will round out your tone a bit too, and tighten up the bass notes. At least until you plug it in :)

Best part is tuning issues *should* go away.

mbkri likes this.
  3. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Im hoping string skipping goes away! Actually i know it will because i had a mastery on my first jaguar which i should never have sold. I use the jazzmaster mostly for aggressive wall of noise strumming.... and the stock bridge just doesnt hold up. 15 minutes of hard playing and the string spacing is ALL OVER THE PLACE!

BorderRadio likes this.
  4. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I just learned about the Mastery existence a few months ago. Such a wild looking design. The thing I saw said they’re typically sold out. I hope it works well for you. Report back.

mbkri likes this.
  5. sgarnett

sgarnett Gretschie

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    Early this year, I picked up several Jazzmasters and loved the feel, except the bridges. Then I started looking at the options .... I’m an engineer and love tinkering, but I have plenty to do and didn’t need another project (especially with so much conflicting info out there).

I may yet revisit that choice someday. Keep us posted!

mbkri likes this.
  6. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Would be interested to read your review!

mbkri likes this.
  7. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Well for starters its a fabulous bit of engineering that looks like its built to be set up intuitively and then remain rock steady no matter what you do to the guitar strings. There is no way these strings are coming out of their saddles no matter how hard you play. Unlike the American vintage jazzmaster bridge with its multiple grooves per saddle, the mastery maintains a set string spacing. The tilt of each drum on the vintage was unnecessarily complex requiring two set screws per saddle.... which worked loose and altered the tilt of the saddles over time. The mastery links the top three saddles and bottom three in two groups so there are four saddle height adjustment screws instead of twelve. Plus overall bridge height adjustments at the posts of course. The bridge comes with the three allen wrenches required for saddle height, action setup and intonation. The whole installation, setup and intonation took 40 minutes.
    Harmonics ring out like a bell with amazing clarity.
    I would agree with @BorderRadio the tuning is pretty stable after some thrashing around which doesnt surprise me. Havent used the trem arm yet but the smooth design of the string channels and the low break angle ought to provide a better outcome than the old drum saddles.
    So far, one hour of playing and putting the guitar through some distortion and chorus im hearing less mud and more resonant wall of sound chime. More Lush sound. Lush as in rich and Lush as in the band of the same name whose big modulated guitar noise has always been a target for some of my writing.
    Verdict: three thumbs up. C5B67B3C-9C48-4A8C-AD15-97E4571EB1B9.jpeg 4387F929-D277-42ED-B250-BD42731978BF.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.