NBD - Ibanez Talman TMB100

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Jim Tozier, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Jim Tozier

Jim Tozier Gretschie

Nov 28, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I'll start with this disclaimer: I am NOT a bass player.

I just decided I wanted an inexpensive bass guitar to use when fooling around with some amateur home recording. Seemed like a better idea than trying to get bass tones from using my guitar with an octave pedal, etc.

I ended up ordering one of these, an Ibanez TMB100:
    [​IMG]
    It should arrive in a few days.

I like the retro look of the body style and the tortoise pickguard--most of the other basses in the sub-$200 price range tend to look like they're geared toward hard rock/metal.

I've always enjoyed picking up a bass from time to time to have some fun noodling around... but this will be the first bass I've ever owned.

Looking forward to it!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Merc, loudnlousy, drmilktruck and 4 others like this.
  2. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Congrats man! With at worst a bit of TLC/setup that should be a cool one.

I think bass & guitar have a nice symbiosis to them while being surprisingly different animals. I feel like I've learned a whole lot of things about guitar playing since I got a bass of my own & started trying to play it like a bass rather than just doubling rhythm guitar lines that I'm not sure I would have if I'd stuck to just guitar.

3. Jim Tozier

Jim Tozier Gretschie

Nov 28, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Very true!

montereyjack66 likes this.
  4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, I like it!

Jim Tozier likes this.
  5. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    Structurewise, Ibanez builds guitars that you can order without testing and not be staring at the ceiling with regret. Pickups are another matter. They seldom suck. They just tend to be high quality meh to my experience. For some applications they are fine, for others you may find them lacking. The bass pickups tend to deliver the goods. Good choice for your indicated usage. Let us know if there are any surprises.

Jim Tozier and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  6. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Cool bass. Actually reminds me of Reverend.

Jim Tozier likes this.
  7. Alanqa

Alanqa Gretschie

Aug 22, 2019
    Lancashire UK
    Lol my wife just had her NBD of an Ibanez Talman TMB30 shortscale Bass. It’s really nice too. F365F474-102E-4E19-AA18-CEB5F7D3EEDC.jpeg

Henry, Jim Tozier, Merc and 1 other person like this.
  8. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I have it on reasonably good authority that Joe Naylor, founder of Reverend Guitars, is a fan of the original Ibanez Talman guitars, the Japanese-made ones of the early '90s, and I think some of Reverend's designs show that influence. I've been a huge fan of the original Talmans, too, since long before I'd heard of Reverend guitars, and while the original line didn't include a bass, this one, especially in this color, sure looks like it could fit right in with them. Congrats on yours, and if I didn't have a couple short-scale basses already, I'd be a-hankerin' for one of these.

9. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Gretschie

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Congrats! That is a really nice bass.
    I'm impressed by those who play both 6-string and bass. My younger brother calls himself a bass player (and he's good) but spends about half his time with 6-strings and his banjo.

I'm wanting a bass myself and that Ibanez looks really good for the money, thanks for pointing it out!

Jim Tozier likes this.
  10. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    That makes sense, glad I wasn't just seeing things!

Jim Tozier likes this.
  11. Jim Tozier

Jim Tozier Gretschie

Nov 28, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    The TMB100 arrived today, and I literally couldn't be happier with it. Considering the ridiculously low price, this bass is a fantastic value. Granted, I don't have a lot to compare it to, in terms of the sound... but the fit and finish are outstanding. The fretwork is immaculate. The satin neck is a breeze to play. For my purposes--having a bass simply to add some depth to amateur home recording--it's absolutely perfect.

I'm sure an experienced bass player might have more discerning taste... but for anyone who's thinking about "dabbling" a bit on bass, I highly recommend this one.

I might actually recommend the shorter scale TMB30 like the surf green one above, actually, especially if you have smaller hands (like I do). I find that I have to move around a lot more on the bass to play scales, etc... which I'm fine with. I wanted the long scale because I wanted to approach it as a bass rather than a guitar... but for someone who's just looking to port their guitar skills over to bass for an occasional groove session, the shorter scale might be more comfortable.

Anyway... very impressed with the bang for the buck here!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.