National Pizza Day - What's Your Favorite?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Feb 10, 2021.

1. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Pia a la mode is usually ice cream from what I see here in Indiana and most everywhere else. Cheese on apple pie is also a thing---especially in Wisconsin. Go figure.
    Went thru southern Wisconsin last year. Almost made it all the way across the state before I saw a cow. I hear they've been selling off herds left and right.

2. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    It would be nice to do something other than travel for work and more travel for work. I drop you a pm some time when things lighten up. I could use some company to try that Italian place in St Paul!

drmilktruck likes this.
  3. gretsch-to-go

gretsch-to-go Electromatic

Oct 2, 2019
    Palm Coast, FL
    Make my own these days, tired of chasing the next best pizza after relocating again. In that regard, I control toppings and that's usually black olives, mushrooms, onion, maybe Peperoncino or banana peppers.

Part of it, the last "best" place I found, was a couple hours North while my Father was still alive and I was his caregiver. When he was in his final months, he told me he that he didn't want any more Krispy Kreme doughnuts, the last box was January 6th, 2018. I don't eat those any more, much either after that date. Talk about a crappy first couple of months every year to live thru. Jan 6th was the day my Mom passed away, Jan 27th, her 18+ year old dog died 5 years later. And 21 days later, Feb 17, Dad passed away. 21 in that regard is an unlucky number for me, Also my Dad was born 1921.

Anyway, we had a local pizza place that had the best pizza in the community there. Was 1/2 mile away and I ordered it at the counter & waited for piping hot fresh to deliver for Dad. I really don't chase pizza after that. Reason that I make my own though, Mom used to make pizza for the family as well. She was quite remarkable chef too. Made Chicken & Cheese Enchiladas from scratch. A neighbor would sell her fish too, that neighbor was a commercial fisherman out of Ponce Inlet, FL. In Fernandina Beach, I would go to the docks and get the fresh catch off the boats from the fish monger there.

Chloe was a cool little Lhasa Apso, she loved pizza crust and boneless filet of fish. Dad would give her a couple of ounces of grouper, mahi, snapper or sword fish in her bowl. She loved beef au jus & mashed potatoes as well. When they're that old, they eat what they want is the rule, I recall driving for the whim meals. Dad said I want and away I drove for it.

new6659 and drmilktruck like this.
  4. afire

afire Country Gent

Squares or wedges? I ordered carryout the other day and it came cut in squares. My OCD side really appreciates a slice that is 100% toppings, no bare crust. But my tidy side appreciates having the crust to hold onto. Tough call.

drmilktruck likes this.
  5. crossthestyx

crossthestyx Electromatic

Oct 20, 2020
    not here
    Well it sure as hell ain't Dominoes. Unfortunately that's what passes for pizza where I live. But if your ever in my home town of San Diego, this is the best pizza in the city. Run by real Italians with excellent service. The best pizza I ever ate.. And they'll do Anything, and I mean anything, to your pizza you want.
    https://www.thevenetianrestaurantpointloma.com/

gretsch-to-go and drmilktruck like this.
  6. gretsch-to-go

gretsch-to-go Electromatic

Oct 2, 2019
    Palm Coast, FL
    That menu would have me drift over into the pasta section Frutti di Mare (seafood pasta) is the grail dish, Linguini & White Clam. The only Venetian main course & side pasta I'd steer from is the eggplant dishes. But I would definitely be tempted & distracted with a full on Italian menu.

drmilktruck and Bertotti like this.
  7. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    We have a great Italian place in the town I went to school in. If anyone ever gets through Muscatine Iowa try
    Salvatore's by Papa Reno Italian Restaurant
    Without a doubt one of the best meals Italian meals I ever had, well other than Grandmas food of course.

drmilktruck likes this.
  8. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    So I set that show to record and recently watched it. It was difficult to get through, #1 because fat Adam Richman was on it, and #2 it played like a docudrama (poorly acted). It didn't really have anything to do with pizza. It was the story of midwesterners popularizing their version of pizza to bring to the masses and make billions of dollars. Pizza Hut and Dominoes, never did like either.
    Just my opinion. Definitely No Shade on Wabash

9. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I found it interesting how it went from an East Coast specialty (or in select big cities with an Italian population) to a cultural phenomenon. Like I said earlier, I remember when pizza was unheard of in the Midwest. Of course, I remember when McDonalds was new as well. Domino's was aimed at college students, what with limited funds, dorms and housing closely packed together, it made sense---especially for delivery. Growing up, for us "ethnic food" was Italian, Chinese, or anything non-Polish. When a pizza parlor finally did open, it was on the far side of town, a minimum half hour drive. Nobody delivered back then.
    I do agree that the acting was wooden. I really don't expect Oscar level actors on programs like that. Without even that level of acting, the program would've been as dry as a statistics class.

You have to admit that the pizza has become an American staple. Three or four food groups, almost universally loved, and priced where almost everyone can afford it. Little Caesar's $5 pies aren't too bad, and are a heck of a good value. Pizza is as ubiquitous as the hamburger or hot dog, or Mac n Cheese.

Above all, fish and fruit do NOT belong on pizzas.

gretsch-to-go and drmilktruck like this.
  10. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

I do adore Round Table pizza, but I haven’t had it in years

11. afire

afire Country Gent

Looking at that menu, I don't think it would ever occur to me to order pizza. Which makes me think I've probably missed out on some good pizza by never ordering it at an Italian restaurant. I only ever get pizza from pizza places.

Too good of a value. I went through a phase where any time my travels took me by a Little Caesar's around noon, I'd grab one. I never ate the whole thing, but I'd eat way more than is a reasonable lunch. And I'm probably a cretin, but I'd rate it better than not too bad. I think Little Caesar's might be my favorite among the major chains. I can't stand Papa John's or Pizza Hut. Domino's is okay. But I actually like Little Caesar's.

gretsch-to-go likes this.
  12. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Pizza Hut hasn't been the same since they stopped using the nubby red glasses. Their sauce lately has gotten to be insipid. Personally, I dislike Papa John's (besides his politics) and Domino's. We've got a couple of good local pizza parlors that we frequent. Shop local.

Purdue student did a thermodynamics paper on pizza and it's delivery boxes. The TV program talked about the boxes. They weren't primarily meant to be insulators. They were made so that the delivery guy could carry a stack of boxes without the lower ones being crushed.

Pizza---a round pie, served in a square box, cut into triangles, and eaten from the inside out.

I live a half mile from a Little Caesar's. I'm highly disappointed that they don't deliver them on a Vespa, as it's part of their logo.

Sabato likes this.
  13. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    @drmilktruck and @19MGB76 have you guys tried Nupa in Rochester? I have not had pizza there but I am fairly certain they have it but it is good Greek food.

14. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I'll have to give it a try, when Mrs. MT and I get to Rochester or Mankato next. If not the pizza, the rest of the menu looks good.

15. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    There is no bad pizza. My favorite is the one in front of me. I'm dead serious. Pizza is hands down my favorite meal. If I were left to my own devices, I might eat it every meal.

drmilktruck likes this.
  16. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Slightly off topic in that I've not tried their pizza, but pre-pandemic, my wife and I would play at Forager a couple times a year -- some seriously tasty food and other-wordly brews. The Fuego Burger is a beast!

drmilktruck likes this.
  17. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Thin and crispy dough, Italian sausage, black olives, red onions, mushrooms, cheese on a rich tomato base, and LOTS of anchovies!
    pizza at un.gif pizza.jpg pizza financial advisor.jpg

drmilktruck likes this.
  18. Gold Penguin

Gold Penguin Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Long Island, New York
    The absolute best pizza in New York City is "New Park Pizza"
    156-71 Cross Bay Blvd, Howard beach, Queens New York, 11414.
    718 641 3082.
    It's an all cash business.
    The pizza is just amazing!

20210217_192841.jpg

drmilktruck likes this.
  19. hawiian2

hawiian2 Gretschie

Jan 13, 2021
    Connecticut
    There is no doubt The one and only Pizza style is:
    NEW HAVEN no one comes close (BTW the cheese, its called Scamotz, also spelled scamotes or scamozza)
    The Kings of all are on Wooster St : Sallys, Pepes. Modern and so on.
    Its called Apizza (Pronounced AH BEETZ) Pizza is sliced as 8 slices only and never into squares unless its Sicilian. As you can see we take our pie very seriously in Connecticut. Oh and another thing which is not up for debate, the very worst form of slop called "Pizza" is Greek Pizza. Greasy, over cooked, soggy, bready.
    Want greek? Eat a Gyro. Those are awesome. Now who makes the best Gyros?

Sabato and drmilktruck like this.
  20. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    The best Gyro O ever had was in Diamond Bar Ca no idea the name but it was real lamb not beef and pork, and real taziki.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.