National Pizza Day - What's Your Favorite?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    My French-Canadian Grandfather used to have it that way, would never be for me though.

2. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    gretsch-to-go likes this.
  3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    that’s what pie ala mode is in the Midwest - cheese on top. That’d
    My mother did as well.

Sabato likes this.
  4. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Heck no that isn't a midwest thing it is a Wisconsin thing. I grew up in Iowa with family all over Iowa Illinois Mn Texas everywhere I ever went pie ala mode was ice cream on top. Leave it to a cheese head to ruin a piece of pie!

Sabato likes this.
  5. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    We did the ice cream thing too on top, my mother just added the cheese. (She was from central Minnesota, grew up on a farm. Can't have too much dairy!)

Per wikipedia there was a fight over where the term was invented. Duluth MN or Upstate NY.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pie_à_la_Mode

I'm not a baker but did try a very tasty apple pie where the cheese was crumbled into the crust.

Bertotti and Sabato like this.
  6. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    It was obviously invented in Duluth. I’d swear it by the Kensington Runestone. :) Where’s Worknot Compton when we need him to defend the honor of Duluth?

drmilktruck likes this.
  7. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I have to keep sweet and savory separate. I don't care for sweets much, my snacks of choice would be salty cheesy.
    In the pizza vein, I have recently gone back to sourdough bread baking and someday soon will be making a sourdough pizza.

Bertotti likes this.
  8. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Even he moved away though, in the Brainerd area now.

9. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    He moved back to the Brainerd area, actually. Wayne grew up across the road from a couple of my cousins that lived on Mission Lake, north of Brainerd. Small world, here I meet a guy in Little Falls that grew up across the road from my Uncle’s resort, fifty years after the fact.

10. DennisC

DennisC Country Gent

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    That is a wide field ... Pizza is a great dish, partially because it is so versatile.

In order to comply to my own rules, animals are not to be involved, but aside from that ... some people think asparagus on a Pizza is a great idea ... I don't think so, I don't like asparagus ... aside from that - open to close to anything. At least to try out.

Most buyable ones without actual cheese are expensive, and often not that great. So I usually make it by myself, using some quark-resembling stuff made from soybeans as replacement for cheese, which works good and tastes good, too.

Under that, a collection of a lot of vegetables, both fresh and pickled ... I'll just list the last one's ingredients, as it doesn't have a name that I know of:

Artichokes, olives (green and pickeld in oil or black, sometimes both), capotes, those little corn cobs, cut in slices, a lot of garlic, onion, bell pepper, chilis from my balcony on one half. Tomato sauce and dough, of course, below this.

11. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Just saw an ad for Pizza Hut's Detroit style pizza, which looks suspiciously just like a rectangular Chicago style deep dish. Anyone had one?

There's a show on tonight on The History Channel about the Pizza Wars (10PM EST). Talk about timely. I'm not disparaging Detroit---I'm drinking a Vernor's Ginger Ale at the moment.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    Sabato likes this.
  12. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    The crust on a Detroit style is different. It’s thick and crunchy, like the Sicilian.

wabash slim likes this.
  13. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Gonna have to try it!

14. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    There’s a chain of Detroit style pizza called Jet’s Pizza. Very tasty.

15. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I think we have a Jet's nearby. I'm not going to Detroit, tho.

drmilktruck likes this.
  16. afire

afire Country Gent

It's barely even a Wisconsin thing. I never even heard of cheese on pie until I was an adult, and to this day I don't think I've ever seen it firsthand.

Bertotti likes this.
  17. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    You are probably right I just never heard of it until I was there. Never seen or heard of it anywhere else until this thread.

18. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Made this tonight. Sicilian Sausage Pizza.

IMG_0060.jpeg

19. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    What if you don’t bring enough for every!

Sabato and drmilktruck like this.
  20. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I made it from the recipe in the original post. If you want to come for dinner post-pandemic, let me know!

Bertotti and Sabato like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.