Nails on a Chalkboard Voices

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Feb 28, 2021.

1. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    She doesn't try hard enough is her problem. Tries to be cool and Americana and all folksy but its just lazy person pop trash with zero artistic content. Well, maybe a tad here and there. But mostly unimaginative and boring and that goes for her voice too.

2. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Hah! But he can still play bass right?

3. PlumaBlanca

PlumaBlanca Electromatic

I'd have to agree with you that none of the Grateful Dead had "conventionally" good voices, but to me their standout vocals appear on their studio album, Workingman's Dead, which they do sometimes struggle to find notes and harmonize, but to me it just adds color and authenticity to their country/rock sound.

But what do I know. This is what Mountain Girl, Jerry's partner at the time, had to say about the album, “They were expected to sing all those parts, and it didn’t go well. It sounded like cats howling.”

Guess she spent a little too much time in the studio listening to takes.

4. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    Paula Cole... sometimes she has the voice of an angel. Other times she sounds as though she could sing backup for the devil himself

5. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    LOL. Yea, but it's not as ironic that way.

swivel likes this.
  6. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Oh yes, I can agree with Gwen. Gorgeous and nice person, but no talent in the singing department. Gorgeous will get you a long way apparently.

7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    How dare you accuse me of that!

stevo likes this.
  8. hawiian2

hawiian2 Gretschie

Jan 13, 2021
    Connecticut
    Very surprised to hear someone say Janis. I know everyone has their own thoughts and opinions
    but (At least in my personal opinion here) Thats like hearing someone doesnt like Pizza!
    (You do like pizza don't you?)

MrWookiee and mrfixitmi like this.
  9. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Well they did this pretty great song without Geddy's caterwauling.

Best comment below the video:

Normal music fans: "You can't sing along with an instrumental." Brazilian Rush fans: "Hold my beer..."

MrWookiee likes this.
  10. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta

Neil Pert was very much the anchor of that band. I saw a documentary that talked about Pert's long motorbike journey that he and a mate took after his wife passed away. It was a cool story.

MrWookiee likes this.
  11. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Not necessarily a fan and frankly haven't listened to anything by her in years, BUT last I heard her I thought she had an amazing voice...? Did I just get lucky or something?

12. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I think Sheryl made a mistake taking up with the country crowd. She's just not that good at it. I liked some of her quirky rock like stuff, not an amazing voice but well done with character.

MrWookiee and stevo like this.
  13. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I've never thought amazing was the word, but certainly not terrible either. I always thought she just kind of fluffed through it lazily and that kind of shuts me off.

MrWookiee likes this.
  14. DangerousD

DangerousD Electromatic

Oct 15, 2020
    Colorado
    Yeah...that Cranberries chick is the worst. Instant headache.

15. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    See, I would say the same thing about Neil Young. His voice is actually appropriate to that Neil Young song, because he wrote it. I'll throw Keith Richards into that mix too, namely all the Stones stuff up to and including Talk is Cheap and Main Offender and Bridges to Babylon. 'Thief in the Night' and 'Don't Have To Mean It' he's got the gravel older Keef voice, but my wife says his singing voice is better than Mick's. Happy wife, happy Teledriver.

My point is their voices, written and sung by the same guy, should and usually do fit each other- it become appropriate. And any other way would be weird. I do like Tom Jones' version of Prince's 'Kiss' however.
    Generally I think singer/songwriters write songs for/to their voices. There are exceptions- some singer/songwriters wrote a song and pictured so-and-so singing it, then sometimes approached and sold the idea to that singer, to the huge success of that song. Barry Gibb and Neil Diamond come to mind, but I know there are others.

Boy, that was a digression! Sorry for the rant everyone.

Sid Nitzerglobin and wabash slim like this.
  16. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    I loved Janis, but yeah... some of her stuff was as bad as her other stuff was good. I wish she had lived long enough to receive some vocal training. Man, she would have been incredible!

Lister and Teledriver like this.
  17. Johno99

Johno99 Electromatic

Feb 24, 2017
    Haslemere, UK
    Adele, Bono, Madonna, Paul Simon, Cher, Van Morrison, Stevie Wonder, Mercury.
    And at risk of banishment to the deepest regions of hell, I don't actually like Elvis much either.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  18. Dan Garder

Dan Garder Electromatic

Oct 29, 2020
    Palm Harbor Florida

19. Dan Garder

Dan Garder Electromatic

Oct 29, 2020
    Palm Harbor Florida
    Geddy Lee and the guy from Stix.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.