NAD

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by rake_ether, Jul 29, 2020.

1. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    Quite possibly the most infamous new amp was finally delivered. Ordered on May 22nd. Spark in Box.jpg

2. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Synchromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    I've never heard of this before, but now I'm super interested. I need a little practice amp for my living room, and this just jumped on the list.

Did a little diggin and the only gripe anyone seems to have is that the company can't make em fast enough. I'd love to hear what you think once you get a chance to run it through its paces a bit.

rake_ether likes this.
  3. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    That’s a loooong wait.... let us know how it goes! Congrats!

4. 64ChevSS

64ChevSS Gretschie

Dec 24, 2016
    Innisfil, Ontario
    Looks cool. I am looking forward to your in depth review.

5. Zeek

Zeek Synchromatic

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    Congrads and Enjoy,
    I saw one new in box on CL today the guy changed directions before it got there so is sellin it.

6. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    tell me about it! I have one coming in August, unfortunately too late for a road trip.

7. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Tell me more about that...

8. michelb

michelb Gretschie

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    very interesting little amp

9. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Congratulations , but please , tell us more and give us more pics

10. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    Spark.jpg Spark Top.jpg
    This little guy won best new product at winter NAMM. It became infamous because the company was not able to supply the demand, some of that having to do with coronovirus shutting down the manufacturing in China. This caused long delays in delivery (you paid up front). It's a modelling amp that has a smartphone app allowing users to select dozens of amps and pedals. There's a jam feature where if you play into the amp it will compose a drum and bass track. You can also play a song from your playlists or even YouTube and it will chart the chords. You can create your own amp/pedal combinations and save them to one of four presets.

Marv666, new6659 and thunder58 like this.
  11. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yes, but what do you think about it?

12. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Wow , modern technology at it's finest . Sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun with this , enjoy and congratulations again

13. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    I can't believe you won't like it. First, a small complaint. It seems to have a hum which others have experienced. This might be caused by the amp having a two prong electrical plug (North American version) rather than a three prong grounded one. It looks like the company will send a three prong one if your amp has this hum. It sounds great and as you probably know is in stereo. The feature I like the best is the Tone Cloud where users can create amp/pedal combinations to sound like your favorite guitar hero. I had been trying to replicate The Edge's tone, looking at amp and pedal combinations and what do you know, someone uploaded a U2 tone. Fun to play (although I can't play Where the Streets Have No Name at all). It will take awhile to investigate all this guy can do (and what it can't).

Henry likes this.
  14. Thanks for posting. Let us know as it settles in. The amp shows up on every add i get online.

15. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    I'm going out on a limb and say pick up a used Champ. There are over 50 for sale between eBay and Reverb. Here are my reasons:

1) Availability - I figure delivery in a week.
    2) Tube configuration - We're talking class A here.
    3) Speaker - 6 to 8 inch speaker.
    4) Reliability - You only need a screwdriver and a soldering iron for most repairs. The model is tried and true.
    5) Tone - I'll leave you to pick your three favorite songs that were recorded with a Champ.
    6) Made in USA - I'm not going to say anything more on this subject.
    7) Upgrades down the road - speaker, tubes, mods?
    8) Mojo - Show up at any jam session with a Champ.
    9) Turn it up - turn it down, it's all good.
    10) Resale - you can usually sell it for what you have in it.

Call me old school on this one.

Outlaw, EssEll, moltenmagna and 2 others like this.
  16. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    This is a great list and is close to my heart. I'm more analog than just about anyone. I've just started building a half-watt class A amp that will be very Champ like. As a photographer I shoot film. No, that's not quite accurate, I make my own film using ancient chemical formulas (including silver nitrate and cyanide) that coat a glass plate. In one of my other hobbies, cooking, I almost always use knives rather than my Cuisinart and cook on cast iron, carbon steel, or grill (no fancy Instapot or souvide). I have a Traynor tube amp I'm often plugged into. And yes, I see the benefit for me, someone who picked up guitar about a year ago, for an amp like this.

lathoto, Groutsch and new6659 like this.
  17. adauria

adauria Gretschie

Dec 22, 2016
    Wake Forest, NC
    By the look and sound of it, seems reminiscent of a Boss Katana (I have the original 50 combo). If it's anything like that, it's a ton of fun to play around with and practice with. Also nice to have a whole bevy of decent effects on hand to play with at your finger tips (or mouse tips).

These are great if you like to tinker and such. For performance I'll stick to my tube amps and pedal board (at least for now), but there's always room for 1 more amp to have fun with.

-Andrew

rake_ether likes this.
  18. Its been a while, is it still a keeper? Have you tried the jam thing, where it plays a beat to what you strum?

19. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Synchromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    It really sounds like a super cool idea. I have tube amps with pedals and a reverb tank in my office/music room, but I want something small and unobtrusive to put in the living room so I can fool around while I'm watching TV. The idea that this thing has all the effects that I could ever want (and about a gazillion more) built in makes it super appealing. Small footprint and a near total lack of cabling. IF I could be sure I could get my hands on one I would be a happy dude. That lead time is pretty daunting

20. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    You are old school and would benefit from a new school that taught what the point of this amp is. :p

Not remotely intensed to be a Champ substitute, but we all like what we like. Personally, don't like Champs. Too farty. I also use a tube amp for my main playing but this is not intended to replace my amp and pedalboard.

Mine should be here Monday. Reasons why I am trying it:
    1. Road trips - small, and I can use headphones if necessary. I can also just use it as a stereo.
    2. Acoustic garden jams ‐ I will use this as a PA with a volume pedal, to give me a bit of a lift when finger picking or soloing
    3. Late night playing- now I can play after 10pm in the house. Having Bluetooth and phone jntegrate means no fancy wiring needed to play with backing tracks.
    4. YMMV

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.