NAD!

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by StJohn, Dec 20, 2015.

1. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    NAD finally! After selling some things and pooling gig money, I picked up a 68 Princeton. It was close between it and a PRRI. Great clean tones, and luscious reverb! I'm experimenting with different ways of A/B-Ing it and my AC15.

I will need to bring it back in. At start up there is some static, and I can hear some tube rattle going on from time to time. It all sounds like a tube or tubes going out. My local store will stand behind it, so no worries. image.jpeg

MKunie, S. Rock and Random1643 like this.
  2. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Is it a real vintage one? Looks great

3. blc45

blc45 Country Gent

Aug 23, 2011
    nc
    Vox and Fender. It don't get much better than that!

StJohn likes this.
  4. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    No it's a reissue. There's really no one around that work on old ones, so I'd prefer a warranty since that stuff isn't in my wheelhouse!

5. nadles

nadles Country Gent

Congratulations. very nice!

StJohn likes this.
  6. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    There's enough differences in the tone that thy complement each other nicely

7. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Cool amps.

StJohn likes this.
  8. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Nice gear , enjoy

StJohn likes this.
  9. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Congrats St.John! Those amps are really terrific.

If you want to have your mind blown, change the crappy GrooveTubes it came with to Tung Sol 12AX7 and JJ 6V6 and swap out the cheapo 10" speaker for a 12" Eminence Legend. Then stand back... because if you think it sounds great now (and it does) then you won't believe what it sounds like after.

The '68 Princeton cannot be beat for that little tariff. What a great little amp!

StJohn and wildeman like this.
  10. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    Will a 12 still fit the cab? I'm guessing you'd need a new baffle? I'm hoping Tubes will be the issue so maybe at least one or two would be free, lol. Actually, if tubes aren't the problem, I'll ask for a replacement

11. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Baffle will have to be modded for sure, but a Princeton with a 12" is awesome. The first Boogies were modded Princetons

12. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Yes, a 12" will just fit in the cabinet. At the top of the baffle is a reinforcing strip of wood. You need to cut a piece out of it to fit a 12" in it but you can and it is fine. For expediency I simply screwed the 12" over the 10" hole like they used to back in the day. I fully intend(ed) to have a 12" baffle made but it sounds so good now I haven't got around to it. Until you mentioned I realized it hadn't even crossed my mind in a while and I've gigged the amp a few times.

Tubes are probably the issue, Groovetubes have developed a reputation for being craptacular. For the life of me I can't understand why Fender build a great amp and cheaps out on the tubes and speakers. I can't imagine that the relatively small increase in costs isn't offset by the enormous increase in sound quality. These '68 and '65 amps aren't being marketed to kids, these are professional quality amps. OK, rant = OFF

13. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    Congrats, I love the two vintage Princetons I recently inherited and had re-tubed and re-capped. The tones are amazing, and they're really quiet amps too in terms of having practically zero noise at idle, or turned up for that matter.

StJohn likes this.
  14. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Those are AWESOME amps. Congrats!

StJohn likes this.
  15. S. Rock

S. Rock Friend of Fred

congrats, Mark ! nice amp. what local store are you referring to ? I thought all of the local stores near you had shut down.

StJohn likes this.
  16. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    Matt's Music on Breard (BREE ARD in Cajun!) in Monroe. Been in business for a long time

S. Rock likes this.
  17. S. Rock

S. Rock Friend of Fred

hmmm

don't remember that one. of course, we had Haymaker's there in Ruston and I didn't need to go any further. I left from up there in '87. was he there that far back ?

18. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
  19. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats ,cool amp!

I recently picked up a used 65 Princeton reissue myself.

20. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    I brought each Gretsch on 2 separate occasions to try amps out. The first was with the GA, which has TVJ Classics and Classic Plus....The PRRI just sounded ok with this one. I was quite surprised. The 68 won by a landslide here. With my 6120, the PRRI sounded fantastic. It edged the 68 with that guitar, but not by much. Taking both guitars into consideration, I chose the 68, but the PRRI is a great, great amp. I see what the fuss is about on those now!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.