NAD! - Yamaha Goodness

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Stefan87, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Have been wanting to get a battery powered practice amp for awhile now as the Strauss 30w cheap tube amp just doesn't get switched on and the Marshall is at my parents house.

so was looking at either a Katana mini or a micro cube, but a THR10C came up at a great price so decided to grab it on the weekend, haven't had a chance to spend a good amount of time with it at the moment but so far it's a great little thing, wanted the 'C' over the normal THR10 as the amp models on the 'C' suit me more, loving the Class A/Matchless and the Mini/DR Z channels.

Seems to be perfect for what I want, goes from nice cleans to distorted enough for me, battery powered so can use it anywhere which was important, volume is great as it goes from quiet enough not to wake my daughter to loud enough to annoy the whole house hold, and looking forward to plugging it into the computer when I get a chance.

It also hides perfectly in the entertainment unit which my wife likes as she is very particular how she sets our houses up as the bigger amps always created a challenge for her to make them match the 'decor'.

THR10C1.jpg
    THR10C2.jpg

And a thank you to @radd for answering a few questions I had, you are right I can see myself loving this little thing.

wildeman, S.R.Cash, thunder58 and 6 others like this.
  2. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    How’s the tremolo effect? It looks like the same set up as on my micro cube but I find the tremolo on that unusable. I was thinking of getting one of these to replace it.

Stefan87 likes this.
  3. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Only had a very quick run through of the effects, more so the reverb and tape echo, the tremolo seemed ok, will have a better play with it tonight and let you know.

Lockupyourfatdog likes this.
  4. Lockupyourfatdog

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    Cool thanks! On my fender twin the tremolo is great. Never turn it off. But in the truck I have a micro cube. The Trem sounds more like flipping a kill switch off and on rather than a tremolo

Stefan87 likes this.
  5. Chris MC

Chris MC Gretschie

Oct 27, 2014
    Orange, Aus
    My little one is great for practice, or just as a mini hifi.

Stefan87 likes this.
  6. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I love mine. Having an amp with a headphone socket and a bluetooth connection to my ipod opens up late night playing sessions at home without disturbing the family. Congrats!

Stefan87 likes this.
  7. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I’m glad you like it. Wait until you play with the Yamaha tone studio to create even more sounds.

Simple things like having a separate volume control for your backing tracks is a nice touch. If you have quality headphones they will sound fantastic with that amp..

I bought rechargeable batteries off Amazon so I don’t go through batteries when I take it camping.

Enjoy

Stefan87 likes this.
  8. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    That is exactly why I wanted a practice amp so then I don't have to play unplugged to not disturb anyone, the bluetooth would have been nice but the aux cable will be fine for me.

Am looking forward to having a look at the tone studio, the volumes did confuse me at the start with the gain, volume and guitar volume but getting used to it, I do need to get quality headphones now.

Rechargeable batteries may be a good investment too.

mbkri likes this.
  9. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Congrats , always heard good things about them

Stefan87 likes this.
  10. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Mine ain't goin' anywhere! Great little amps for recording!

I just run my board through it when I use it though, as except for the reverb, you really need to plug them into the computer to tweak the effects, and I'm way too simple for that.

Stefan87 likes this.
  11. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats, all reports I've read are that it is a great little amp. Enjoy it.

Stefan87 likes this.
  12. jetbunny

jetbunny Electromatic

Mar 29, 2017
    NYC
    Have this one too. Great for practicing. The bass amp option is excellent. My bassist' eyes lighted up when he plugged it in the first time around.

Stefan87 likes this.
  13. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yeah I had heard that they take pedals pretty good, I did have a play around with the effects last night and I feel they are all decent enough and usable, a bit limited but figured the computer would help out with that side of things.

I did think to myself that if I actually enjoy the whole recording thing then I may go grab a cheap bass and have a go at that, good to know it's a god channel for it.

14. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Had another play around last night, I think the tremolo is decent, there isn't a lot of option on the knob as it's a 4 effects on the one pot so to speak but the effects are tweakable on the computer so I think you would be happy with it, not really to the degree of your Twin but it'd be worth looking at if you could try one out.

15. Lockupyourfatdog

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    Cool thanks. I don’t really have the means to try it. I’ll just have to order one and hope for the best

16. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I got a sweet little trem pedal called a Red Witch Eve that sounds lovely, its even got a rechargeable battery, you could velcro it right to your Cube.

17. jetbunny

jetbunny Electromatic

Mar 29, 2017
    NYC
    It's another reason WHY I bought a Gretsch G2220. Sounds massive on that little amp.

Stefan87 likes this.
  18. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Here's mine on the clean channel with just a delay pedal added. Which, sounds a lot better now that I have the BT Filtertron's out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.