NAD well last week 1968 Fender Drip Edge Silverface Bassman

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by rcboals, Apr 10, 2021.

1. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    I never had a bassman in my 71 years of existance. So, I have to find out what is so great about a no frills 50 watt straight up Fender amp. After a week I am finding out it is a sweet amp, loves pedals and is way way way loud if needed. The story on this is, I bought it from Billy O's Dynamite music in Indiana. He said a personal friend of his owned and decided to black face cosmetic up and put it in a 1x12 combo. First thought was I'll pass as I have bought amps that were mucked with in a very amateur way, and ended up being an unpleasant purchase. After speaking with Billy the owner and being assured the amp was in excellent shape and a small simple mod to boost the mids on the normal channel was done by Danny Nashkoff. So, I bought it with the included JD Newell blond 112 blond cab and the new black face plate. I also got the original head cab and the original silver face plate as well. Fired it up and it played and sounded very good. I did need to replace a couple microphonic 12AX7. Oppened it up and it appears it is all stock no new obvious parts that I could see. So, I don't know what the small mod entailed and I don't care it sounds great. All the transformers are dated code 1967 so this one was an early 68 and I think before CBS did whatever changes to the 68 amps they did. Any way so far so good. I don't think I could go wrong with this one. My RCB Twangmaster V The Barn Burner Tele really like this bassman amp as do my other guitars as well. :) Speaker is a 4 Ohm Jensen C12K 100 watts. Yes, it sounds like a Fender amp.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  2. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Sweet! I know its original but those big power caps have lived their life, most will change them as a safety precaution, even if they still work.
    I like Bassmans as combos, I've thought about doing one myself.

MentalTossFlycoon and pmac11 like this.
  3. TubeLife

TubeLife Synchromatic

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Sweet, congrats on the new amp!! I have to agree on the original filter caps being changed out. People out there stuff the original casing of the caps with new innards to keep the original look if ya wanted too....

I have a 72’ Bassman head and yours as a combo has me thinking and I may just have to build a combo box like it.

Enjoy it!! They’re reeeeeeeel loud and powerful amps.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Very attractive amp , congrats and enjoy the sound

5. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Great amp Raye! I have a 1968 silverface, a 1965 blackface and a 1961 blonde so I know your joy. The 61 and the 65 are both in 1x12" combo cabs. It's a great mod to have because - as you know - you get all the amazing sound of the Bassman and combo'd, it's still light enough to move around.

Enjoy your Bassman. It's one of those sounds that are just so great, it's hard to let go.

6. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Synchromatic

May 20, 2018
    Phoenix, Arizona
    That is awesome that it came with the original cabinet and faceplate, because later on when you have the urge to put it back to original those parts are nearly impossible to find. Great score!

7. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Congrats, looks great. Do you know the weight?

8. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    People on another sister forum think I really need to change those caps ASAP and am foolish to not do so. and they think it could blow up any minute, causing a catastrophe. :) :) If she blows she blows it is super clean inside and out and hasn't blown up in the last 53 years was checked over and some minor mod done by Danny Nashkoff builder of Screamin Chikenz amps. I looked its guts over very closely, magnifying glass for bad or cracked solder joints and did the famous tried and true chopstick tap tap thump thump test. There are no weird noises or any signs of leakage or rupture on any of the caps or transformers. These old bassman amps are in great supply kind of like StanleyTools Hand planes. Fender made enough of them to supply any guitar player that wants one. Not only that, there just isn't a huge amount of money involved here to be of "catastrophic" concern. "Vintage" Bassmans are readily available for $400.00 low to a $1,000 high. It is indeed a nice sounding amp right now or until it blows up could be any minute from now ;) If it happens my Mesa TA15 and Goodsell Super 17 MKII can get me by :) so I'm good, no matter what happens.

9. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    48 LBS

Henry likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.