NAD, the not so loved Blues Junior

Wavey

Gretschie
Dec 31, 2016
LWR
A Deluxe Reverb is on my bucket list. :(
One of my friends has a blackface 65 DRRI which is a great amp. I think that the 68 Custom DRRI (silverface) should also be a great amp, though I haven't played through one. I am thinking about getting a Princeton (PRRI) and this time around I think I will try to put together a kit, maybe a Weber kit for a PR that can accommodate a 12" speaker. If and when I follow through with this I will probably sell my venerable old USA made Blues DeLuxe to make room (and to source the funds for the kit). :)

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
One of my friends has a blackface 65 DRRI which is a great amp. I think that the 68 Custom DRRI (silverface) should also be a great amp, though I haven't played through one. I am thinking about getting a Princeton (PRRI) and this time around I think I will try to put together a kit, maybe a Weber kit for a PR that can accommodate a 12" speaker. If and when I follow through with this I will probably sell my venerable old USA made Blues DeLuxe to make room (and to source the funds for the kit). :)
Keep in mind that the ‘68 CDR, as good as it is (and I am sitting about a foot from mine), does not sound like a DRRI. If you add a .047 pfd cap to the Vibrato channel, you can replicate the DRRI Vibrato channel sound, with its always on bright cap’.

However you will still have less clean headroom with then’68 CDR than the DRRI. The negative feedback resistor in the DRRI is 820 ohms and in the ‘68 CDR, it’s 1,500 ohms. Less negative feedback equates to less headroom. On mine, I had a second 1,500 ohm resistor wired in parallel with the NFB resistor, which gets is to 750 ohms, which is definitely close enough. Because clean headroom is important to me, this makes a lot more sense, and if you turn the volume to 5 or above, the natural overdrive of the Deluxe is there for the taking.

On my ‘68 CDR, I haven’t done the bright cap mod, as of yet, but I’ve thought about it a lot. :) It will happen, but with a Data Center move and a new phone system, all within the next three months, I’m pretty much reduced to working, eating and sleeping, for the time being.

NowEarThis

Gretschie
It's pretty well impossible to get an older hand wired Fender DR here in Australia for a decent price so I'm actually thinking about buying a complete BFDR kit from Mojotone and build it myself.

Hoot

Electromatic
Jun 25, 2019
Southern IL, USA
I own Fender Blonde Blues Jr. NOS with the Jensen speaker.
Great little amp, with one design flaw....my amp stopped working one day, so I took it to one of the most renowned and respected amp repair guys in the area. He explained the heat from the amp eventually melts solder joints, and recommended turning the amp off between sets, and never leaving it on for extended periods.
Any one ever heard of this?

NowEarThis

Gretschie
Great little amp, with one design flaw....my amp stopped working one day, so I took it to one of the most renowned and respected amp repair guys in the area. He explained the heat from the amp eventually melts solder joints, and recommended turning the amp off between sets, and never leaving it on for extended periods.
Yes. The output tubes are biased high and run red hot. Fitting a bias adjustment pot will allow you to take the bias lower and they'll run cooler.

Your tech could easily do this for you.

Synchro

Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson

Yes. The output tubes are biased high and run red hot. Fitting a bias adjustment pot will allow you to take the bias lower and they'll run cooler.

Your tech could easily do this for you.
Agreed. The bias is hot on these little amps and cooling it a bit would help. IIRC, one of the Bill Machrone mods was to cool the bias slightly.

pmac11

Country Gent
Mar 4, 2018
Toronto, Ontario
So this philosopher walks into a bar and the bartender says; “ain’t you the guy that was in here starting trouble last week?” The philosopher gathered himself to his greatest level of indignity and said; “I think not!” It was at that point the he disappeared. :)
Ah, a highbrow drink and dash caper... :)

JAP09

Electromatic
Nov 12, 2019
Atlanta, Ga
I'm way late to the thread, but I loved my Blues Jr. I put a matchless G12H30 in it, gigged it for 6 years, and recorded an EP exclusively with that amp. It almost always sounded as good or better then everyone else's $2500 amp rig I played with. Tubes finally went out and when I went to replace them, half the the tube socket solder connections broke off the circuit board and wouldn’t flow back. Ended up solving it temporarily by using wire to bypass some of the circuit board trace, but that wasn't a reliable long term solution so I kept the speaker and junked the amp. Like people have said, just be REAL careful with those tube connections.

Synchro

Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
I absolutely love mine, the BillM mods are an absolute must do. Yes, the tube pcb is it’s weakest link but I think the amp is worthy of having the pcb replaced with a better quality board, or even hand wiring.

Here’s a link…
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/293044590370
That’s a great product.
My biggest problem with the Hot Rod Series amps, and their Blues Series counterparts, is that the tubes are PCB board mounted. This product definitely takes away a great deal of this concern.

Latest posts