NAD Supro!

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by J Bird, Mar 26, 2021.

1. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Oh boy! What the heck did I just do?

It's not in perfect shape, but I think I'll get it close by the time I'm all done.

1967 Supro Thunderbolt S6420.

The original Tolex was the sexy blue. The new Tolex is just OK, a little amateurish. The output transformer has been replaced with a period correct, but not model specific replacement. The tone is fantastic, but not quiet at idle.

All of that will be taken care of fairly soon. It's at the tech shop right now and I've got a line on an original cabinet in sexy blue that's in good shape.

20210326_151716.jpg 20210326_151756.jpg

MKunie, ruger9, Jeff67 and 24 others like this.
  2. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Hell yes, ya done good!

J Bird likes this.
  3. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
  4. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    THAT is a nice score!

J Bird likes this.
  5. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    I keep going back and forth in my head as to which I would rather have- a vintage Supro or a vintage Magnatone.

oneforsorrow and J Bird like this.
  6. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, that’s amazing!

J Bird likes this.
  7. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nice score!

J Bird likes this.
  8. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Wow! Congrats

J Bird likes this.
  9. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Oh, how I wish I'd taken her home before dropping her off at the tech.

I already love all my amps. and now I probably have the one to top them all.

She sings that sweet siren's song, two knobs and the truth. Hallelujah, my brother man.

pmac11 and Outlaw like this.
  10. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

If I may embellish, the seller and I met up in a suburban grocery/gas station parking lot. Great place for any exchange.

I laid a few licks into her (sorry, I'm not misogynistic, but the verbiage is correct). Two strangers happen upon us. One reckons it's a sweet s6420 tone but I need to plug it into a wall, not a cig lighter transformer, the buzzy hiss will go away. The other shouts "buy it!"

Still hissed at the nearby apartment. Tbat led to me to talking to myself, out loud. "I'll always regret passing this up. This will be a huge money pit (I lie, poorly). You know what these fetch?"

My tech was conveniently right on my way home. What else can I say.

Weirdly, it had blue rhino hide originally as well as a solid state rectifier. I can't substantiate this, but I trust the seller. The prior previous owner punk rocked the entire cab and grill with multiple cans of spray paint, the rhino hide went away, and the original grill cloth is underneath its replacement.

So, there was probably a couple months when they had speaker baffle bracing, blue rhino hide and a ss rectifier before black Tolex became the '67's identifying characteristics.

11. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Congrats, love the look of these amps.

J Bird likes this.
  12. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Big Supro fan. Congrats! I can’t wait to see her after the overhaul. I’ll bet my 1953 Supro Lap Steel would sound perfect with that amp.

F5744B12-578C-4C5C-90F2-3967E84A789D.jpeg

J Bird likes this.
  13. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Today I took another step, I bought an old, but in good shape, Thunderbolt cabinet with the original rhino hide covering. It's probably from '65, as it has one horizontal brace and no vertical brace on the baffle.

I will use the baffle, speaker and chassis from the Thunderbolt that is still with the tech.

Oh yeah, in my OP, I stated that the output transformer was replaced. I meant power transformer. I always switch those two when writing or speaking.

If the power transformer it currently (pun intended) has doesn't check out, then I'll track one down that will.
    20210419_145521.jpg 20210419_145546.jpg

Merc, Outlaw, Archtops and 1 other person like this.
  14. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    Recently purchased an almost new trem/verb. Good lord it sounds wonderful! The only thing I can complain about is for such a small amp, it pulls with the gravity of a Black Hole in space. It's like carrying a Honda Civic inside a shoe box. And yet, it remains.

ruger9, Archtops, J Bird and 2 others like this.
  15. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I've had my eye on the Tremoverb ... pretty heavy huh? Worth the weight?

ruger9 and J Bird like this.
  16. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    Sound and performance wise, it's THE BOMB. If I was gigging a couple of times a week...I suspect I'd be hanging with my Princeton. Since I mainly just record these days, it's less of a pain. Although, I suppose one could make an argument for cardio/vascular health in the long run, but I'm not sure I'd live that long. Go by GC and lug one around the show room. Then plug it in and play it. Then eye ball how far it is to the parking lot. I suspect you'll have your answer somewhere in there.

17. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Unfortunately, there's no GC anywhere near me. I'm out in the boonies. But I've got that it's about 30 lbs in a comparison sheet I've got going. I could live with that.

J Bird likes this.
  18. michelb

michelb Synchromatic

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    awesome amp :eek: been eyeing the little 5 watt 1605R myself for home use :p I'd like to get my hands on the schematics, but can't seem to find them anywhere.
    I'm guessing they'll be easier to get once Supro hypes up some more, interest in the company is going up for sure :D

J Bird likes this.
  19. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    The new Tremoverbs are great (I have one). It's the anti-Princeton LOL. All low end and mids, not sparkly. Playing Chet? Plug into a PR. Playing Setzer or blues? Plug into a Supro. get ALL the goods from the amp itself. It's a LOUD 25W too. I have an attenuator on mine, so I can dime it at home w/o rattling the windows.

I also have a PR. Altho they are both small amps, they are very different, and worth keeping both. Fender is the classic blackface fender thing, Supro is old-school, almost octal-sounding, grunt and grease.

J Bird likes this.
  20. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats on the Supro. Nice looking setup.

J Bird likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.